Home > Political & Other Important Issues > Political Issues > Australia’s 1996 Gun Confiscation Didn’t Work – And it Wouldn’t Work in America

Australia’s 1996 Gun Confiscation Didn’t Work – And it Wouldn’t Work in America

1. Sounds like the English problem with "pointy" knives. Lots of luck.

I would like to hear the government start to address those Americans that publicly declare that gun owners, conservatives and the NRA membership should be killed by violent (guns, bombs) means, because other legal citizens are abiding by their Constitutional right to own and carry an object, and liberals don't like this.

That Police should be killed because certain groups resent the law and its limitations on illegal activity. That cars and abortion take so many more lives yet no one cares about them.

This is an issue about control. The government (read politicians) is the only group that really feels threatened by guns because of the rationale for the 2nd Amendment to keep it under some semblance of citizen control.

The goal of government isn't to improve the welfare of its citizens lives, it's total absolute control for it's own sake.

“I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about, is that it will happen one very small step at a time, so that by the time people have "woken up" -- quote -- to what's happened, it's gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the beginning of the banning of semi-assault military weapons, that are military weapons, not "household" weapons, is the first step." Barbara Fass, ABC News Special, Peter Jennings: Guns, Stockton, CA Mayor, 1991-04-11

“Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist ideology of the United States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today. Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic -- purely symbolic -- move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.” Charles Krauthammer, Disarm the Citizenry, But Not Yet Washington Post, p. A19, 1996-04-05

2. What are the possibilities that any of the gun rights organizations will carry the fight to them by trying to roll back the existing violations of the Second Amendment? We are currently always playing defense - often enough in the "red" zone it seems. For a start, how about eliminating the ban on general ownership of post-1986 fully automatic weapons? Certainly the paperwork necessary to buy a fully automatic weapon more than meets their desired background check requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Australia doesn't have the large minority population we do. 95% of murders and victims in NYC are black or hispanic.

4. Progressives are patient, but their goal has never changed. They will not stop until the government runs more and more of our lives. It is the complete antithesis of self-government, as envisioned by the founders.

5. How are they going to track down and confiscate 300 million firearms when, they can't even track down and deport 11 million illegals?

6. How did they track down the guns in Australia?
    Illegal are for the benefit of the Democats. Guns are not.

7. There are two things(at least) that make gun confiscation in the U.S. a horrible idea. The first is that it would require a true police state. The police would have to do a no nock search of every house and apartment in the country to make it work. They would just about have to tear houses apart if they suspected that you did not turn all of the prohibited guns.
    The second problem is that some people would resist. I imagine a lot of internet tough guys would wilt and say yes sir I will show you where my guns are. I really don't know how many people would fight. The thing is if one percent of gun owners fight back it would be more violence than the U.S. has seen since the civil war. It could last for years or decades and result in millions of deaths. While most of the fighting would be with police I think assassination would be commonplace. Who could want that for our future?

8. Come on democrats, come to my door demanding my guns, and see what happens!

9. Have you ever heard of Katrina?