Austin plane crash: Slain IRS worker's wife sues pilots wife

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Altaris, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Altaris

Altaris

I feel sorry for the IRS worker who was killed in the indecent and feel for his family, but the pilot's wife has suffered enough. Lost her home, lost her husband....now gets sued. What a bunch of crap. :steamed:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/irs-workers-widow-sues-pilots-wife-273334.html

The widow of an Internal Revenue Service employee killed when Andrew Joseph Stack III flew his plane into an office building has sued Stack's wife, saying she should have warned others about her husband.

According to the seven-page lawsuit filed in state District Court in Travis County, Sheryl Mann Stack had a duty to "avoid a foreseeable risk of injury to others," including 68-year-old Vernon Hunter, who was killed Thursday.

"Stack was threatened enough by Joseph Stack that she took her daughter and stayed at a hotel the night before the plane crash," the suit said.

Sheryl Stack has declined to comment on the incident, other than a written statement that said she was grief-stricken.

Dan Ross, an attorney representing Valerie Hunter, said the Hunter family wanted to file a lawsuit early, but he declined to elaborate about why.

Ross said that his client is interested to know whether any insurance proceeds might be available that the Hunter family could be awarded.

"This is the proper way to determine what assets, including insurance, would be available for Mr. Hunter's wrongful death," he said.

The lawsuit also seeks to prevent the Travis County medical examiner's office from making public Hunter's autopsy. Officials have said he was a victim of homicide and died of "conflagration injuries."

Federal authorities have said that Stack, 53, flew his single-engine plane into a building that houses Internal Revenue Service offices Thursday morning after setting his home ablaze.

Stack, who also was killed, left behind a rambling Internet message blaming the IRS for many personal and financial difficulties.

The lawsuit was filed Tuesday, the same day that top Austin city officials toured the inside of the Echelon I building on Research Boulevard (U.S. 183) near MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) at the invitation of the building's owner.

Based on his tour, Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell said it appeared as though Stack's plane never fully entered the four-story structure, which burst into flames on impact.

In what he described as an eerie sight, Leffingwell said employees appeared to have quickly fled for exits, leaving behind briefcases, note pads and half-filled coffee cups at a conference room table.

"It is obvious they got out of there 'right now,'" he said.

"You could almost visualize people in their seats," City Manager Marc Ott said. "You saw things they had been drinking, personal effects, jackets on coat stands. It was very clear whatever was going on in that particular instant, people stopped doing what they were doing."

Leffingwell said the second and third floors were the most badly damaged, with mangled wires reaching out from the ceiling and water standing on the floor. Walls are charred, and offices smell of soot.

Leffingwell said damage continues about 40 feet inside the building.

The first floor also received substantial water damage, but the fourth floor looks mostly unscathed, he said.

The future of the building remains unclear, but Leffingwell said it is badly damaged in spots, with load-bearing beams melted in some locations.

"There is so much damage there from the fire. It is really amazing more people were not injured or killed," he said.

According to Valerie Hunter's lawsuit, the Hunter family is entitled to damages because Joe Stack was negligent in protecting Hunter's life.

The amount of damages being sought was not specified in the suit.

Stack was required by law to fly his plane at an altitude 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle, according to the document.

"Vernon Hunter belonged to a class of persons the (law) was designed to protect," the suit says.

2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

That's America for you.

My lawyer says that after I gain 40 more pounds, we're going to sue the guy who invented the fork.

3. RichJ

RichJ

That's typical. Austin is an anomaly in Texas. It is chock-a-block full of liberal freaks and wing-nut idiot obamabots. It would figure one of these weirdos would have the mindset to sue a crazy persons wife for something they didn't do.

The sad thing is there will be an equally liberal activist judge who will make sure this goes to trial instead of throwing this ridiculous lawsuit out of court

4. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

Toss 'em both in a mud wrestling pit and air it on pay per view.

5. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Sounds like she has more of a claim than many of the lawsuits around here.

You don't think the wife should have known Stack was dangerous? Or you just think she had no duty to tell anyone?

6. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Maybe they should sue the IRS for driving people crazy. The IRS has a lot more money.

7. armorplated

armorplated

Yeah cause everytime a husband and wife have a beef, the wife is supposed to automatically assume he'll fly a plane into a building.

You're a lawyer's dream come true juror.

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I like it.

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

So, some nut murders your spouse and you sue the killer's estate? Not just good, but damned good. HH

10. Gareth68

Gareth68

What else is she to do. She has likely been married for years and gotten comfortable and is in no shape to snag another schlep to support her.

11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

No wonder this country is going down the toilet.

12. Hartford

Hartford

Didn't the guy set his house on fire with the wife and daughter inside? I'm sorry the lady lost her husband, but haven't they both been through enough?

13. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Vernon Hunter was a multiple Veteran also!!! He fought for peoples rights!!! He probably was the last cool guys at the IRS building... he shed blood for AMERICA!! Like my GRANDFATHERS!! Sue their whole family tree for all I care I lost enough family members to wars to know... Meet people... be nice... but have a plan to kill everyone you meet who didn't wipe your fanny at 2 years old... and even then some of those people are suspect.

The IRS is getting me for a few grand... meh so what I messed up a 1099 or something back in the day and now I owe... to me it would not matter if it was $600 or $600,000... just pay it... they do take installment payments now... its only stuff and money...

14. racerford

racerford

It does not state they are suing the estate. It says they are suing the wife for her inaction. I would understand suing the estate.

Then it says that Joe Stack was negligent in protecting Hunter's life. I am not quite sure what that means. I did not know anyone is responsible for protecting someone's life. The police aren't even responsible for that.

I didn't protect Hunter's life either, will I be sued next? Did you protect Hunter's life? Maybe you will be sued next.

15. RightGlock1

RightGlock1

Don't give the Obamabots any more ideas on how to make money.

16. fyrecrotch

fyrecrotch

Can the pilot's wife sue the IRS worker's wife because her husband worked for the IRS in the first place? She should have at least bought the pilot's wife some nachos.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  17. shavedape

shavedape

If the wife didn't know her husband was crazier than a poop house rat then she should be sued for criminal stupidity. There's absolutely no way, no how that Stack didn't exhibit insane traits prior to his solo flight. Does this make the wife culpable of negligence or whatever legalistic term you want to use? Looks like a jury will decide that. It will be up to the prosecuting attorneys to provide evidence of Stack's wife's knowledge of his instability, which could be hard to prove in court. Additionally, no matter what she's been through and her own "victim" status as some of you here are giving her, there's no way Stack's wife didn't know she was married to a nutjob, unless of course she was the absolute worst wife in the world.

The good news for some of you guys on GT is that she's back on the market and let's face it, some of you could use a wife who will turn a blind eye to insanity. Try not to knock yourselves over as you rush to ask her out.
    :freak:

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Fox reported tonight that she, through her attorney, is specifically looking for any and all of Stack's hidden assets and insurance policies. I'm sorry, but murderer's estates should be fair game. HH

19. shavedape

shavedape

If Sheryl Stack had knowledge that her husband was a danger to others then she could be found guilty (and/or have a judgment rendered against her in civil court). That's the difference you are missing in your argument. You couldn't protect Hunter's life because you had no knowledge of Stack to begin with = moot point.

20. KIMFAB

KIMFAB Kangaroo tooth

Read again about the underpants bomber. Warnings everywhere.
    All the warnings in the world from her would have been ignored.