Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to Austin for a couple of days.
Is there any BBQ and/or gun place one must not miss?
:eat: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Salt Lick - BBQ but there are others.

Guns - the big name gun store is McBride's on Lamar.

If you are on Lamar and like food - go to the Whole Foods giant store on Lamar and 6th.

Indoor ranges that are fun - Reds on south of town on 290 or far North in Pflugerville.

You also have a Cabela's south of town on I-35.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Basically, what Glenn said! Far as Salt Lick, go to the original one on FM1826 for the real experience. slatlickbbq.com

·
Registered
62 Posts
try cabella's on the way out to the salt lick. just be prepared for higher than normal prices...

try crown and anchor for burgers and brew....

try jeffery's for good filet mignon in a black truffle sauce (try the fried oyster appetizer, gooood)

antone's for live music.....

carlos and charlies to relax.....

·
Pistolero
6,150 Posts
McBride's on Lamar. I bought my first gun that I ever bought myself (meaning my Dad didn't give it to me) there in 1970, 39 years ago. A S&W Model 12 Airweight 2.5". I still carry and shoot it.

I ber McBride's hasn't changed a bit since then. Happy memories. I love Austin.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I should have mentioned the Saxet show on Lamar, depending when you are in town - google Saxet Texas.

Also, on Lamar go up to the giant Asian supermarket and restaurant complex. Not classic brisket and ribs BBQ but you can get great Chinese and Korean BBQ.

McBride's can do the attitude thing, sadly.

·
12,970 Posts
McBride's is definitely overpriced.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
+1 on extremely rude salespeople at McBride's ( as well as high prices). The only customers I've seen treated with respect there are uniformed LE and big spending regulars.

Sportsman's finest and Red's South are my favorites. Friendly, no pressure, and no gouging.

·
Registered
163 Posts
+1 on extremely rude salespeople at McBride's ( as well as high prices). The only customers I've seen treated with respect there are uniformed LE and big spending regulars.
I've always had good service. Then again, I've always been there to look at something specific, and usually expensive.

Sportsman's finest and Red's South are my favorites. Friendly, no pressure, and no gouging.
Funny, I work at Red's South. :supergrin:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've always had good service. Then again, I've always been there to look at something specific, and usually expensive.
I bought one gun at McBride's, a Mossberg 930 SPX. Salesman was very rude and bothered by the fact that I wanted to see several examples to find an unblemished gun. He stated "if you want perfection buy a Benelli". Later I tried to exchange a holster and was treated like a criminal. Never again.

Funny, I work at Red's South. :supergrin:
I just got a PM9 at your shop. $620 OTD. Nice guys too. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm going to Austin for a couple of days.
Is there any BBQ and/or gun place one must not miss?
:eat: :cheers:
We go down a couple times a yr from Dallas. We went to Salt Lick for the first time on Thursday night and it's a MUST EAT spot. Gets a lot of press and for a good reason, great food.

Couple of notes though that I was unaware of:
- it's BYOB, no alcohol served.
- NO pulled pork except on Sunday.
- NO lemonaide except on Fri/Sat/Sun...go figure...
- Drinks were $2.25 a pop! Over $ for the of us just for cokes....
- Ask for a whole jalepeno on the side, they are pickled and just fantastic!

Also love the Green Mesquite off of Lamar....My 15 yr old daughter is our BBQ Queen and it's her #2 spot in the US. And she's eaten a TON of BBQ around the US...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts