Austin city council just voted 34% cut to its police department

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by gotin, Aug 13, 2020.

1. TexFarm

TexFarm

Austin has turned into a cess pool. That’s what happens when the POS mayor and idiotic city council are Demonrats. I avoid that sh**hole like the plague.

2. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Wait. The good side . They did cut internal affairs-lol

Just kidding. They are a necessary part. And Austin took internal affair issues from the police department. Morons. By taking it out of hands of people who allegedly “understand “police work ( most were never real cops- police officers yes, not real cops) and frankly just how their department works, it will hurt their investigations especially for the lower level stuff.

And depending on whom they give those duties to, they will lose the ability to do Garrity interviews for those investigations. ( the ability to force the officer to talk or lose his job- SCOTUS case Garrity vs NJ )What is known here as a GO-15.

RussP and CAcop like this.

3. 4949shooter

4949shooter

This is the way Newark PD (NJ) has been operating for the last 30 years. Calls were prioritized. If you wanted a minor motor vehicle accident report good luck.

Newark has had state troopers present in the city to augment it;s police force on and off over the time span. The troopers organized with Newark PD and got right into business.

RussP and CAcop like this.
  4. Ftttu

Ftttu

That’s what I say. Just like I tell people who want at least $15.00 an hour or more(living wage) for minimum wage, I just say ask, “why stop there?” If $15.00, why not $20.00?...$30.00...$50.00 an hour? Hell, why not $100.00 an hour for our minimum wagers?

Again, it is sad, but it is tough love me wanting Austiners to feel the pain of the of their voting decisions.

5. CAcop

CAcop

Does Newark pay the state for the troopers?

Here in California there are all kinds of contracting schemes and payments.

The most convoluted is Isla Vista. Its mostly a student community next to UCSB with illegals who work for the rich people in SB and Montecito. The UC has a PD that chips in officers. The sheriff patrols because it is unincorporated. The CHP handles all traffic issues. They all work out of the same building. They are called the IVFP. The Isla Vista Foot Patrol. Mostly because the UCSB cops walk on foot with the SBSO deputies due to IV being 1 square mile with 23,000 people, mostly 18-23. Parking is insane. No one moves their car unless they have to. Everyone rides a bike. Its not a place for those who had OCD issues.

6. 4949shooter

4949shooter

That sounds like a crazy place to work.

The troopers are funded by the state. The city should pay for state police presence but they won't or can't.

CAcop likes this.
  7. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

We had an Austin guy here at one point. Can't recall his username.

First shot likes this.
  8. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Newark NJ. Lived there from 1959 till I went into the service in 1964. Forget the year of the riots (1967?). Didn't help the quality of life in that city one bit. Parents who still lived there quickly moved to another town. Shocking, I know.

I've heard Newark referred to as a place that looks like NYC after the "bomb" dropped.

Might not be all that much different these days...

4949shooter and CAcop like this.
  9. First shot

First shot

I lived in Austin from 1975-1988.. I’m not going to say I saw this coming, but even then Austin was becoming more leftist each year...Glad I got out and it proves that I did make a few smart decisions in my life contrary to popular belief....I still have sweet memories of the ribs at Brown Bag BBQ on South Lamar near Manchaca Road along with the onion rings at Dans Hamburgers close by...lol

CAcop and cbetts1 like this.
  10. First shot

First shot

Been a few since I’ve been here... I’d always ask them about joints I used to frequent when I lived there...you’re right though, it’s been a while...

11. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

Temporarily the state will pick up the slack. That won't go on forever though.

CAcop likes this.
  12. blueiron

blueiron

CAcop likes this.
  13. fastbolt

fastbolt

If only there were lessons that were learned by the people fleeing. They probably think there's someone else to blame, but the people who let it become what it's become, and who supported all the "right things" that greased the wheels of the area's transformation, only have to look in the mirror to see where the blame can be placed.

Is that like if locusts blamed the crops they decimated for disappearing, and then moved on only to repeat the process, again and again? :p

JohnnyReb and CAcop like this.
  14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Didn't Rabbi work for Austin?

Rabbi likes this.
  15. WT

WT Millennium Member

Last night I listened to an interview of the Austin police chief.
    No officers will lose their jobs. No layoffs.
    He will get rid of the tactical unit, the crime initiatives unit, not responding to nuisance issues and drop the organized crime / gang unit.
    The forensics lab will move elsewhere.
    About 100 officers will be reassigned to patrol.

Lots of smoke and mirrors. I guess social workers will handle the Mexican Mafia.

16. as400guy1

as400guy1

Can't wait to see how many civilian counselors get bloodied during domestics.

CAcop and Lt. Donn like this.
  17. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Might not be any layoffs, but I foresee an increase in retirements and resignations.

CAcop likes this.
  18. CAcop

CAcop

San Antonio. Last I heard he was drifting between full and part time.

Rabbi and Dragoon44 like this.
  19. CAcop

CAcop

And there will probably be mission creep back to those things because someone will get pissy about their neighbor working on cars in the front yard or a dog being off leash.