close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aussie Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The Glockster, Jan 2, 2010.

1. The Glockster

The Glockster

G'day All.

Getting back into shooting after an extended break and want some opinions on which way I should go in getting a Glock for target shooting. I'll be competing (at a social level) in what's called Service Pistol. This is a 90 rd match shot over distances of 50, 25, 10 and 7 metres against the clock from stationary positions both unsupported (free standing) and supported (from behind a barricade whilst making contact with it with the supporting hand). All stages are shot in 6 rd strings with the 50 metre stage being shot from the prone position then moving through sitting and standing. These are shot against the clock using left and right hands.

What I'm asking is this, would you fellas go with the G17 (with lengthened barrel as required by Law) or the G34? And could you also tell me why, as in are there any advantages with one over the other? I used to shoot with a G22 and did allright with it but I can't use one of these now because of new calibre restrictions by Law. I've never used a G34 before but they certainly have a certain level of "coolness" factor about them :cool::cool:.

So, what say you Gentlemen?

2. The Glockster

The Glockster

3. EJP

EJP

I wouldn't say one has an advantage over the other. There are differences though, and you will have to decide which one will be beneficial to you.

G34
    - Longer slide and barrel
    - extended mag release
    - extended slide stop
    - adjustable plastic sights
    - 3.5 connector

Its important to know that every modification beside the slide and barrel length can be applied to each gun for a few dollars. (And I would really reccommend getting rid of the G34 sights asap - tried them on my G17 and couldnt remove them fast enough.)

So: do you prefer the longer sight radius (for 50m shots it just might be an advantage but I never felt it being one out to 25) or (what I would consider) better handling at closer distances?

EDIT: didn't realise that you already have to use a longer barrel. Get the G34, add some quality target sights and you are set.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. Morgo

Morgo

The G34 would be better as it has a longer sight radius.
    The 17L would be a better choice again as it has an even longer (longest of the Glocks) sight radius.

I've never used any of my Glocks in the service match and doubt I ever will.
    Any reason you want to use a Glock for service?

5. The Glockster

The Glockster

couple of reasons actually.

~ Fun factor, love the self loaders.
    ~ Carried one on a daily basis for work for nearly 8 years.
    ~ Not looking to break records score wise, just wanna have fun.

Do you use a 686 or custom gun for Service Morgo? What matches do you use the Glock for. Gotta serve my probation before I can have a crack at buying a gun anyway.

6. Morgo

Morgo

I'm more of a semi auto guy than revolver guy, though I do have several revolvers. When I do use one for service its generally a 686 or colt python.
    Normally for 50yard service I use one of my 1911/2011's.

My Glocks are for fun/IPSC/plinking/Beater gun(s). I've dragged two of my Glocks (17A & 34) through the mud for combined rifle/pistol matches. They worked flawlessly and are plenty accurate at the distance's we shoot pistols on those matches.

I'm not saying don't get a Glock, if thats what YOU want then get it, I'm only thinking that at my club most guys use the 1911 platform with custom mods to their pistols. A Glock would have a hard time keeping up with these and that you might become frustrated with yourself and Glock over time if your not doing as well as the others.(I know you want it just for fun, but still...)
    If you are thinking about some other pistols, have you looked at the STI Trojan, CZ SP01 Shadow?

7. k80clay

k80clay

Longer barrel of the 34 will get a little more zip out of the ammo (good for longer distances), as most velocity testing is done with 4" barrels. Longer sight radius also. If you're running a timed run, the longer front end will also help keep the muzzle down, although balance will move forward as the mag empties.

Get the 34, order some good sights at the same time.

8. Brucev

Brucev

Based on what I gather from your post, I'd buy the G-34. From there on out, modify it to suit your needs, taste and budget. Sincerely. Brucev.

9. The Glockster

The Glockster

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was thinking 1911 but I'm on a fairly restricted budget. Sounds like the 34 is the go. Got a while before I can apply for my licence yet so I'll see how I go. Service isn't real popular at my Club, perhaps only 3 or 4 interested. I'll let yas know how things pan out later. Love this forum.

10. Morgo

Morgo

A good site to keep an eye on is usedguns.com.au I've had some great buys from that site.
    What club do you shoot at?

11. The Glockster

The Glockster

I'm shooting at Bathurst mate.