close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Audiophiles: Speakers?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Drjones, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Drjones

Drjones

I've been toying with the idea of a nice new sound system...I'm still not 100% on how I want it; a nice home theater type setup, something airplay-compatible....what....

I guess the reality is that I spend a lot of time in my home office....which led me to consider these.......am I completely insane?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-Active-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B003R6U6HG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342565363&sr=8-3&keywords=bowers+%26+wilkins"]Amazon.com: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Active Multimedia Speakers: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31V8xL8JIyL.@@AMEPARAM@@31V8xL8JIyL[/ame]

Let's hear more about speakers!!!

2. Viper16

Viper16

My boss has the B&W Zeppelin for the iphone...he said it really is amazing. He said it had to go through a break in period where the first few hours sounded like crap, but it eventually opened up into great audio.

3. Drjones

Drjones

Yes, I read this too....I didn't know that speakers required a break-in period....

4. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I'm just a junior, budding audiophile - you may have seen my floundering attempts to put together a stereo setup last christmas here.

I'm using a pair of these as my desktop speakers... not perfect, but they're awfully good, and the price isn't very 'audiophile'. They're pretty big for desktop speakers, though... you need space.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Powered-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342569500&sr=8-1&keywords=av+40"]Amazon.com: M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers (Latest Version): Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RYHJFgQHL.@@AMEPARAM@@41RYHJFgQHL[/ame]

I also added a subwoofer from a ~$100 logitech desktop speaker set, which also gives me the little remote-control volume puck. I'm running it computer -> Logitech -> AV40 in place of the crappy logitech speakers, and it works beautifully. Not sure how it compares to the B&W setup, but I'm thrilled with the setup for a very reasonable price.

another (wildly more expensive) approach would be to get something like this:

http://www.ListenUp.com/Peachtree+Audio+iDecco+Black+Gloss-p-iDecco-p-DigitalMusicSystems.html

running audio from your computer and pushing something like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-..._Subwoofers&hash=item2a1e0469e0#ht_3047wt_958

For a truly killer setup... though it might be a little beyond the budget you had in mind... 8^)

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I like my Bose speakers.:whistling:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I'd say you're better off spending that money on a base receiver and getting decent speakers, or in the mean time really nice headphones.

7. GenX

GenX

I've learned to match the speakers to the audio source and amplification quality. If the speakers are great, but source and amp are crap, you will be underwhelmed. Overhead is good also, as in more power than necessary. An overpowered speaker can be adjusted for. Can't do much for underpowered, but get more power.

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

IMO the thing to do is figure out your path first. 2 channel, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1 etc. or maybe just a headphone(s) system.

I'm a big fan of 2.1 and 3.1 systems. The less the number of channels the better in a lot of ways.

IMO the speakers above are likely the lamest speakers B&W has ever made.

9. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Buy Other Sound Equipment?

10. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

This is what happened last time I mentioned I like Bose.

I'm happy with the Bose system in my office, my Surround Sound system and in my car. I guess I'm an Audio-Philistine.:supergrin: To each his own. Eric

11. tazbigdog

tazbigdog

Bought a complete home theater system years ago. I looked at the room I wanted it in and decided I wanted 2 in the rear, 2 in the front, a center and a sub. Now, that I moved, I did not need the rear, as there are no rear walls. Match the system to the room you're going to put it in. Good luck, Jeff

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I spent all my HS graduation cash on a pair of 901's in 1978 and will be a Bose diehard untill I myself die. An incredible product and I still use them daily to this day. HH

13. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That proves Omar built one world class product and mailed it in after that.

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

The 301's and 601's are still considered benchmarks, and they're even older. HH

15. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

First off, I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, but will offer my personal observations. It seems like traditional 2 or 4 speaker systems sound best to me for music. And in those configurations, cabinet volume seems to be important. I have a pair of Boston Acoustics towers that were made after the dawn of digitized music, and a pair of Polk audio monitors. These have delivered sound preferable to the smaller speakers that I've tried since. Not a comprehensive analysis by any means.

My brother has worked with speaker and amp manifacturers for over 15 years. He brought home a set of studio monitors - speakers to me, I think made by Meyers Sound. They had two drivers per cabinet and measured aprox 20x16 by 24. They were the most amazing speakers I've experienced, by a noticable margin. If you have the $, check them out.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I think that's fair but the 901 is the best thing Bose ever rolled out by a mile. An old friend has a pair that he bought in '82 or maybe '83 and they still sound great.

17. shootingrn

shootingrn

For that kind of money you could have a pair of Paradigm Atoms and a good integrated amplifier. Find your local Paradigm dealer and give them a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

What do multimedia speakers have to do with "nice sound system"?:dunno: Even if they have a $550 price tag (ouch!) :shocked:

19. Drjones

Drjones

As I said in my OP, most of the time I'm listening to music, I"m in my office....so I thought it would be nice to get some nice speakers for my PC.

I do not want headphones for a variety of reasons and I also don't want to get full-sized speakers for my office as it would be total overkill.

I guess maybe I got caught up by the reviews of those speakers, but they intrigued me... just thought I'd get opinions here. :)

20. ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell

Klipsch. Such great speakers.