close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ATV/Gator/Mule Instructors?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by LilCop2002, Feb 20, 2010.

1. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

Folks,

While out at our field training exercise (FTX), I noticed that some of the people on staff were doing some STUPID *** things with our vehicles. I can call bluff and make corrections on some of the issues, but with me being an E-6 dealing with O-3s and higher, I need to have something under my belt for any corrections to be taken without any *****ing. (I do have an impeccable history, but they still have the Holier than Thou attitude at times.)

My question is this: Where can I find a list of classes offered where I might be able to become an instructor for ATVs, John Deere Gators, and/or Kawasaki Mules?

Up to this point, I haven't found a freaking thing and I am starting to think that either H&K hate me or my Google-Fu isn't as strong as yours.

Help a brotha out.

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

US Border Patrol may have something since they have a good sized ATV Squad supplementing their border patrol vehicles in the remote deserts.

3. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Our ATV class was taught by a seasoned motor officer, who also had some civilian ATV teaching certification.

4. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

LiLCop, I am guessing that if it is like it was when I was in, there is only so much you can do with some people who have a bad attitude, just because of their rank. Sometimes they need correction from a senior officer in order to listen.

5. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

It is the lame at times, but for the most part, I have a lot of say so even if they do outrank me. In my office, I work with people ranging from E-5 up through O-7 on a daily basis.

Since I am their resident go to guy for quite a few things, I wanted this to be another issue that I could speak intelligently about. Thus far, they've put me in charge of the weapons training, various field training issues, anti terrorism/force protection, and land mobile radios to name a few. All of which I have gone to school for.

Since we have a vast array of schools and instructors that use these things but no formal training, I think it is only a damn good idea to get people spun up on how to properly operate them. If they hurt themselves, that sucks. If they hurt a student or staff member, that's just a stink sandwich that we should have prevented.

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

It's all in the attitude and what they want out of it. Navy BUD/S school shows that even when you have sergeants and master chiefs yelling at lieutenants and above, they will listen because they have something to learn.

7. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

Bingo! That's part of the reason that I have such a good relationship with my staff, the other school instructors, and all of the students. I hammer them hard but I treat them fairly and with respect and dignity.

Commissioned Officer Training (COT) has O-1s thru O-5s coming through the program. It's weird to jump knee deep into the chili of a Lt Col.

8. VA27

VA27

Check with your local Fish and Game Officer and see if his agency has any instructors and/or courses you can attend.

9. GearGuru

GearGuru

I know that GA DNR has multiple instructors and teaches a course based upon either one of the manufacturers specs or from ATV institute or like organization. Our motor instructor has the lesson plan as we have to teach it for our ATV's and UTV's. PM me with your email and I will get him to send you the lesson plan