ATTN University Students: support your rights!

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by nehpets99, Aug 20, 2007.

1. nehpets99

nehpets99

To all University students:

WE NEED YOUR HELP in gaining support for our cause. What cause is that, you ask? Getting states or universities to allow concealed carry on campus. I am the Miami U. (Ohio, not Florida) representative of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). Back in the spring, a friend of mine who is the rep for U. of Cincinnati had the great idea of holding an empty holster protest to show that state laws and/or university policies have reduced CHL holders to just that: empty holsters.

But we need your help. We have an event listed on facebook http://facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596 but last time I checked there were only about 70-80 confirmed individuals. Wear an empty holster (OWB, shoulder, something visible that looks like a holster!) during the week of Oct. 22 (that's 10/22) and wear it ALL WEEK! The point is that we want to generate debate! We want our classmates to ask us why we're wearing holsters! We want to let people know how responsible CHL holders, how they've gone through background checks, training, etc. and that we don't go around shooting people for the hell of it.

Send me a PM if you need an invite to the event or if you have any questions about the protest or SCCC and what you can do to help.

Beg, borrow, or steal a holster! You don't even have to have a CHL but as long as you support the rights of licensed individuals then we need your help! If someone asks you if you have a CHL and you don't want to answer honestly, lie!

2. RF7126

RF7126

I've always been a vocal supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights on campus, but does anyone else think this is going about it the wrong way?

3. nehpets99

nehpets99

How so? It's to draw attention...I dunno about you but on my campus everyone walks around in uggs and chanel sunglasses, a holster might draw attention especially amongst some of my psychology and sociology courses and definitely amongst my friends and Fraternity brothers. "Hey, why're you wearing that?" We're not being violent and we're going about this in a more-than-vocal way by acting.

So how's this going about it in a wrong way?

4. RF7126

RF7126

Good point, maybe it's just me. It probably doesn't help that I carry on campus occasionally (not against IN law), and I have no desire to be singled out and have that found on me or in my car (where it frequently is). I'll have to think about it.

5. Loucks

Loucks

Are you assuming that students wearing empty holsters on campus will result in you and/or your car being searched? Because that makes absolutely no sense.

Not that the OP's idea is without flaws. Still, I support the aim of the exercise.

6. RF7126

RF7126

Yes, I am assuming I will be singled out for anything they can do. They already have the student security full of antis who love to go snooping around looking for weapons. I know a couple of them and they flat out admitted that anything they can do, they will. Not to mention the entire police department seems to have a strong anti bias.

So yes, I have no doubt that if they found an excuse to search me/my car, they would do so.

FWIW, I also support the aim of the protesters. I have often defended the literal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment in class discussions, papers, and disagreements with professors. I'm not saying that what these students want to do is wrong, or even that I disagree with it. I think it's a fantastic idea, but something rubs me the wrong way about it. I guess it's just me, but I didn't think it was. I'll admit to be being wrong here, but I just wanted to flesh it out a bit.

7. nehpets99

nehpets99

Hey, your opinion is your opinion. I'm sure that not everyone participating in this will have a CHL. In fact, when the idea first came up, I didn't have a CHL and actually had no intention of getting (that has since changed). I have no problem saying "no, I don't carry, but I know people who do and I support their rights".

Since it's University policy and not state law, then I could visit you, armed, and the only danger I face is being asked to leave...you would face disciplinary action, right? For states like IN, this protest could serve to show how stupidly unfair it is that someone from another state could walk on campus armed and yet you can't.

Loucks: if you have suggestions as to how to make it better, I'm all ears.

8. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Carry concealed. IN has no statute against carry on a college campus. There is no need to protest at IN universities as concealed carry is completely legal. Trying to get university liberals to change policy is a lost cause.

9. txgho1911

txgho1911

RF has valid concerns especially if he is student or staff.
    MakeyoursP99 is also correct as Indiana will have to go by way of Utah with expansion and solidified pre-emption in publicly accessible venues.
    Pre-emption changes should include but not limited to:
    1. Removal of grandfather date on local regulation.
    2. Cause this to apply also to all state dept.s and offices including gov campus buildings and capital building.
    3. Apply this to all secondary education centers and facilities for staff and student who posses and carry legally otherwise.
    4. Expand this also to exempt licensees who work at k-12 schools public and private. Parents who at the time have business at the school where their children are enrolled.
    It's for the children.

And many other points as they surface. Pre-emption may be the avenue of least resistance with the right people in office.

10. nehpets99

nehpets99

Get caught and you face expulsion or some sort of disciplinary action at most IN schools, do I understand that right? Do you really think that's fair, especially if I visit and they can't do squat to me?

It's only a lost cause if you give up. I guess we should just quit now and turn in all our guns...

11. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

First, you attend the institution and by attending said institution, you agree to abide by their policy (for better of worse). Don't like the policy, don't attend said institution. If you are visiting, they can ask you to leave, failure to do so is a crime.

Second, I don't give a DAMN about some adminstrative policy made by some academician who has never worked an honest day in his life. I only concern myself with state law and in IN, no statutue prohibits lawful concealed carry on a college campus. Trying to change the mind of an adminstrator is not going to happen. Elected officals will change with the issues to insure votes of key constituents.

Txgho1911 is right, this state needs a stronger pre-emption statute. I concur in his recommendations, including lawful carry in K-12 schools by those having a vaild LTC. Instead of walking around with empty hoslters, that should have firearms in them, take some time and write your rep and state senator. Maybe then we'll have chance at changing the status quo.

With all the above said, I DO NOT disagree with your mission, which is extremely noble. I'm opining there are better ways to go about it.

12. nehpets99

nehpets99

In Ohio, that's in progress. Legislature's on recess but there's a proposed law that would allow CCW on campuses...my state senator has personally written to me in support of it. Perhaps with an empty holster protest, other Ohio college students can gain support for our rights and have them join in a letter-writing campaign, and if that happens then it's not really a terrible idea.

And by attending my institution I agree to obey their rules or suffer the consequences. It doesn't matter if my university allowed firearms, doesn't mean it's legal...

13. jeep45238

jeep45238

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596

Please make sure you're signed up on it. We're near 100 folks so far, but I accidentally deleted 10-15 folks who ARE attending while I was taking out those who aren't.

Here in Ohio, although having weapons on campus is against my University's policy, I legally have to leave it in my car by state law. I was able to show the laws to the folks that can kick me out of school, and since we're a public institution they are required to follow state laws.

I've now got a written exception against that University policy since it conflicts with states laws, so if you're concerned about it find out about it. Worst case scenario you're in the same situation as before.

14. Aphotic

Aphotic Guest

I go to IUSB and there is a STRONG anti-bias on campus, but there is also a very strong "underground" conservative bias due to the fact that the School of Business and Economics is so big.

I will be carrying an empty Fobus, OWB to class that week and if anyone asks I will explain why. I am not in any way worried about being singled-out or having my car searched or anything. If they do that and I have done nothing illegal/against school policy, I know several lawyers who would be more than happy to file a lawsuit on my behalf...

Anyone who attends IUSB and who is planning on doing the holster gig, get in touch with me.