close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Attn:KY, OH, TN, residents.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by LEOINTRAINING, Feb 18, 2011.

1. LEOINTRAINING

LEOINTRAINING

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

Don't hold your breath waiting for the NRA-ILA to do anything. Just don't shop there anymore or keep your weapon concealed so they won't know about it. What they don't know(or can't see) won't hurt them. :whistling:

3. Seraph

Seraph

That sucks, but the anti-gun ninnies are everywhere. It's much more convenient to keep the sidearm concealed, don't you agree?

4. Nest

Nest

And I was thinking KY was cool. Maybe it's just Lexington that sucks.

5. LEOINTRAINING

LEOINTRAINING

6. Nest

Nest

I live in Nashville, an hour south of Bowling Green. So I spend quite a bit of time in southern KY. That part of the state is as country and conservative as you can get. That part of TN is also. Not uncommon to see a handfull of people through out the day open carrying, and no one even gives them a second glance. Carrying a handgun in these parts is no more uncommon than carrying a cell phone. By the way, Nashville kinda sucks too, but I spend most of my time in the surrounding areas that haven't forgotten their southern culture.

I also refuse to tip toe around the liberals so as not to ruffle their feathers. There's a reason this little pocket of the country is still the way it is. When people come in and try to tell us that they know better, we are uncivilized, and need their help we offend their sensibilities and they end up running off with a look of disgust. But they also do NOT come back, and that's the point.

So next time a liberal tries to force their ways on you, scratch your junk, hawk a loogie, pick your nose, and open carry all day long. Others will say that is crude, rude, and unecessary, but there is a reason this part of the country has not lost it's culture or history and more importantly our rights. Make the liberals comfortable and they call their buddies and convice them to move in too. Make it unhospitable and they up and leave and tell the rest of their friends how uncivilized and horrid we are. That's how the people in the Appalachians of TN and KY have stayed the way they are for so long. They refuse to let outsiders come in and "civilize" them.

7. LEOINTRAINING

LEOINTRAINING

8. Nest

Nest

Yeah, if you are looking at a LEO career I wouldn't file a suit. Look at it this way, get on whatever department you choose and make it a point to educate your co-workers on gun laws. Lead by example, and point out how something is or is not illegal. That's how incidences like yours can be avoided. Had they had a peer in their force that made it a point to educate them on actual gun laws, they would have probably handled it differently.

Also think of it this way. Any suit you win may at most get you two years worth of pay. What would you do after that? Just burned the LEO bridge, and most likely any city, state, and federal job. Only burn briges by suing if you can get enough to retire on in that case.:supergrin:

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Could you post the law I would really like to see it. I have heard of state laws that specify the type of sign to be posted if the property owner wishes to post. But I have yet to see a State law that REQUIRED posting.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. bigleaf

bigleaf

Dude, I'm sorry you were embarrassed. My wife used to be the Kids Dept. Manager at Davis Kidd in Nashville. I love those folks. They all just lost their jobs here, even though the store was profitable. Dumb MBAs ruin more than their fair share.

But to show your gun in a store where the employees are sensitive folks who, for one reason or another, are hiding in the library for a while? That shows a lack of situational awareness and dumbassedness (is that a word?) on your part which deserved a societal kicking.

Hell, I wear my pistol in Whole Foods, but I don't sling my jacket off and terrorize the Deli employees. Where's your civility, man? Where're your manners? Is everything about just you? Are you carrying to prove you're a big man, or are you carrying to protect and be protected? What's your freaking point?

Take your beating like a man and hush up. You made a social mistake that scared folks. It's not about your rights, here. It's about being situationally aware. And being a real, active, and responsible member of society. You're a future Law Enforcement Officer? Maybe you should reconsider. Really. You're not grown up and self-controlled enough for the job.

11. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665

Tennessee is already working on fixing this issue....and a few others.

Here is an NRA-ILA email I got yesterday...

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

The OP is going to make a good cop.

13. bigleaf

bigleaf

Yeah... no.

14. kensteele

kensteele

You gotta be kidding me. Are you for real? :faint:

15. kensteele

kensteele

The poster may come back with KY law shortly, in the meantime, here is KS: http://www.ksag.org/files/media/concealed-carry/CCH_Signage_Notice-2011.pdf

16. bigleaf

bigleaf

Yeah. I am. Maybe this will put it in perspective for you:

I have sex. But not in front of kids or strangers or with anyone but my wife. While I most certainly have a right to have sex, it's got its own set of restrictions. For me, and for most self-controlled, adult folks who live in any society, those restrictions are self-imposed. But just because I have a right to have sex with my wife, it doesn't mean that you have to see it. Or that your kids have to see it. Or that someone who's been exposed to a violent rape or child abuse or... hell, pick your thing, has to see it. I don't have a right to expose you to it. We live together and we have responsibilities to each other. It's the same with my pistols as with my, er, pistola.

Did you actually faint, or were you being poetic with your emoticon?

17. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I don't see anything there that says a private property owner is REQUIRED to post the specified sign. Clearly if they wish to prosecute you for carrying on their premises the sign is required but I doubt that statute you posted REQUIRES any private property owner to post such a sign before telling you to leave the premises.

18. T.Laws

T.Laws

Boycotting Joseph Beth Booksellers, check!

19. AutomotiveTech

AutomotiveTech

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/237-00/115.pdf

I think it is only required if it is against the law to carry in the building. Just because it is not posted does not mean the property owner can't ask you to leave. To the OP, I live in Lexington, and are you really suprised that you got thrown out of Joseph Beth? I am suprised the majority of the clientele did not run out screaming when they saw a gun.

20. Nest

Nest

I think the OP meant that it has to be posted for him to break the law. He was not asked to leave, and it wasn't posted. He was approached by Police and immediately treated like he was breaking the law. He is only breaking the law if he ignores a sign, or refuses to leave after being asked to leave by the store. In his case, the police only had a right to inform him that the store wishes him to leave, that is it. There was absolutely no reason to disarm him since he had not broken any law, and shown no signs of being aggressive. He was sitting down reading. That's like a cop walking down the street and giving everyone they pass a quick pat down because that person could pose a threat to them.