close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ATTENTION GOURMET JERKY MAKERS: OVEN RECIPE's NEEDED!!!!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Walter45Auto, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

A friend of mine at my church last night was asking me about jerky recipes. His brother has some deer meat in his fridge, and he asked if I could make him some jerky for him. Well, I make mine in a dehydrator. Trouble is, you have to have all day to do it that way. Lately, I have been too busy at work to do anything like this (not that I'm complaining, I know a few people who have been laid off or downright fired, some of them 7 or 8 times, in the last year. It's good to have a job.). I told him that lots of people use their oven to make jerky. I was wonder about how long does it take to make a batch of jerky in the oven? And throw some good recipes my way to give him if you would please.

I appreciate the help.

;g

;8 ;I

2. hidden_19

hidden_19 American Luxury

DWavs is a member on here that makes his jerky in the oven. I asked him about it and he was kind enough to send me a few samples of his product both beef and deer. IIRC, you set the temp to 200d for about 2 hrs.

You may want to IM him to get the real scoop.

3. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Someone called? ;f

Yes, 2 hours on 200 degrees. I use the Cabelas jerky trays but you can also lay the stips over the oven rack. Also, make sure the over door is ajar slightly during the process. I use a rolled up foil ball that is just the right size to keep the door ajar about 1-1 1/2 inches.

4. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Mix together:
    1T Worcestershire Sauce (Lee&Perrins)
    1/2t Liquid smoke
    1/2c soy sauce
    1/2t onion powder
    1/2t garlic powder
    1/2t black pepper

Enough to marinate 2lbs meat. Cut meat thin, with grain for chewy texture, crossgrain for crispy.

dump all sliced meat into bowl of marinade. Then transfer to plastic container capable of holding it all in layers with tightfitting lid. Pour any remaining liquid over layers of meat in the container. Refrigerate 24hrs, turning tub over 2x. Oven dry in single layer on cookie sheets at 180F. Keep oven door slightly open. Takes 4-5hrs.

I LOVE this mix, although I do up the quantity of spices for my personal taste.
    It also works fine in a Gardenmaster 1000 dehydrator.