Attemped online purchase

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JMag, Aug 7, 2005.

1. JMag

JMag

Interesting forum this could become (Yoda-like, eh?).

Now a bit of a rant related to an attempted online purchase the other evening. The offender will remain nameless, BTW.

I Googled up a tennis bag I wanted and located just the ticket on a certain tennis site, reviewed the item, and placed an order. It showed the item IN STOCK.

I received an email the NEXT day saying they were sorry that the item I ordered was no longer carried and that the manufacturer had discontinued to bag. They also said they would automatically cancel my order if they didn't hear back from me within twelve hours. They apologized if this was an inconvenience...well, yes it was!

What's so hard about REMOVING items no longer carried from your online storefront? Wouldn't that cause less hassle for all?

I found another, better/reliable source and ordered a better and larger bag for $10 more.

It is crystal clear to me why some businesses remain and many fail...due to, in many cases, the simple/obvious things that no one but the customer seems to notice.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Agreed!

The most successful online business are those that have everything connected up to their online sales system: ordering, shipping, inventory, order status, catalog, etc., etc.,

I worked in IT for a long time and the WWW mantra for good online businesses is "Feed The Web!" meaning make everything sales related in your business transparent to the online store.

A major vendor discussed often on GT fails in this in many ways. Their online store is just an "ordering" system. I wouldn't be surprised if a paper order is printed out and that's all their web store does. Everything else related to an order seems to be manual.

Think Amazon.com. You never need to communicate with a human. Even returns are handled via the web automagically.

3. JMag

JMag

That's what I thought and Amazon got my money! I should have just gone there first.

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

I buy a lot of various items thru Amazon. Even got my GPS through them. Free shipping for orders over $25. I buy a lot of my obscure books and CDs through their affliated vendor program. Can usually find something new/used for a lot less that way.