Attacked by a dog when walking our dogs while carrying a Glock 43

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by kg4asz, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kg4asz

kg4asz

Me and my wife enjoy taking our two dogs for an evening walk after dinner. Both our dogs are what I consider small dogs at about 25 pounds each. One is a Bichon and the other is an American Eskimo/Spitz, both are neutered. When we walk the dogs she talks one and I take the other. We use these retractable leases that let the dogs go about 20 feet from us. They sniff and pee on everything.

In our neighborhood we walked down to the cul-de-sac at the end of our street, I was on the side walk and my wife was walking on the middle of the road. There is normally no traffic on our street.

When I came around the corner I did not notice but out neighbor was watering her potted plants in front of her house and I startled her a little. I said something like “...sorry did not mean to scare you..”, she replied “No it was me I just go surprised..”

I did not think anything more about this and I headed to the street to join my wife and head to a small field everyone takes their dogs to. As I reached the road I heard the woman screaming and yelling something. I turned and saw a gray pit bull running as fast at it could towards my wife. It happened in a split second without warning. The woman came running after the dog but the dog was just too fast.

The dog ran over the dog my wife had, our dog was on its back and the gray dog had its mouth on our now pinned dog’s chest. The dog then ran to the dog I had and ran over it over too. I pulled my Glock 43 out and started screaming at this gray dog to not touch my dogs leave them alone. I was trying to pull my dog back toward me with the retractable lease. The gray dog was now circling us and taking ‘runs’ at each dog, running it over each time sometimes placing its mouth on my dog. The gray dog was so fast there was no was I could have possible got a shot off. My wife froze is fear. I had my gun trying to get a clear shot at the dog with my right hand and the leash in my left hand. Me and my wife had about 20 feet between us.

At this point I thought at least one of my dogs was seriously injured but I did not see any blood yet. The gray dog was so fast I had no chance of a shot. The gray dog was attacking my pets not me or my wife. Nonetheless, I felt I was in danger from this animal and was prepared to use my G43 if it came down to it.

Eventually the woman some how gets the dog to get away from us and she gets it back in the house. I reholster my G43 and we run across the street and start checking our dogs for blood and wounds. They were shaken up but had no visible wounds.

The woman approaches us to check on our dogs. She offers to any vet bills if the dogs were injured, thank god they were not. She told us the 100 pound plus pit bull pushed open the door when she went back into her house and apologized for what happened.

We decide it is time to get back home and check the dogs again at home. We check them again and no blood or wounds. I asked my wife if we should call the police and she recommended not to.

I normally carry the Glock 43 and use Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr loads. I have a hybrid holster from Theis Holster and keep it on my strong side at about 4 o’clock.

We now will only walk the dogs with normal 6 foot leashes so we can maintain better control of our dogs.

So, what would of happened if I had to kill this gray dog to protect myself and my pets?

What would have you done differently?

BuckRogers2000 likes this.
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

It's always a pit bull on GT :rofl:

Osborne, UncleWillyT, kiole and 9 others like this.

3. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Yikes. You must have gotten a big adrenaline rush out of that... So glad everything turned out ok for you all, and you didn't have to kill the dog in front of its owner.

My only suggestion would be to carry pepper spray in hopes to defend against a dog. More than likely non lethal and easier to hit your target.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Rotn1, badge315, nursetim and 2 others like this.
  4. BCGlocker

BCGlocker

I carry bear spray that I use when hiking in Calif. Since I have it laying around, I carry it on my walks with my dogs.

5. hurley842002

hurley842002

For 25,285 posts, you sure don't seem to add anything of value to most threads around here....

6. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

In defense of human life, lethal force is justified in most states.

Texas is a state that allows deployment of deadly force in defense of property. Your dogs are property. Check your state laws.

7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I have 2 small dogs(6 and 9 lbs). If a bigger dog that could kill them tries to attack them, I would shoot said dog if I had the chance. You were right to protect your dogs, and I am glad they are ok and you didn't have to shoot the other dog.

8. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Is it deadly force if you are shooting someone else's property to protect your own property? I think legally, deadly force is a term reserved for humans.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

After almost six years and that many posts your learn to grasp a sense of humor around here. Maybe you should take the sand out of your ******.

10. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Law is hard ... good point.

Dammit Jim, I'm a dork, not a lawyer!

:fist:

happie2shoot, Maine, mj9mm and 2 others like this.
  11. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I'm not a law talking guy either, but I love my tiny little dogs, and would definitely not feel bad if I had to kill another animal to protect them.

12. crockett

crockett

I'd assume if your dogs are attacked it's safe to say that one fears at least serious bodily harm, which in FL is plausible reason to use deadly force. With other words this case would greatly depend on your testimony. If you wouldn’t fear serious bodily harm or death, you might be able to defend your “property” as already stated.

That being said I'm not a lawyer. In your situation I'd try to find some comparable cases in your state. I also strongly suggest reading up on your local laws. This incident is a valuable reminder for us to always keep in mind what legal and ethical responsibility we "carry".

Glad you guys and the dogs are ok. The owner of the pitbull has to make adjustments if she can’t control her dog. Stuff like that can easily cause her dog being taken away or shot by law enforcement if he’s on the run again.

13. 308M1A

308M1A

Was it barking like hillary?

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I would have used less white space. But it's still better than one huge paragraph.

huskerbuttons likes this.
  15. AGF0526

AGF0526

I think pepper spray would have been the way to go in this situation.

tic-tok-GLOCK and "Doc" Cavalry like this.
  16. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

About maybe 15 years ago, me and mama were out in the front yard, she was digging dirt to plant some crap, and I was just kind of hanging out counting butterflies. Our little dog was tied to one of those anchors that screw into the ground.

The way it was situated, we couldn't see all of the street because of my work truck, so it wasn't until they popped out from behind the truck that we saw the nice young family- dad with baby on his shoulders, mom pushing empty stroller, and little girl maybe 5 or 6 barely managing the pitbull. She had the leash wrapped around her wrist such that when that dog got a look at our dog, she was unable to let go, and got dragged along for the excitement.

They were about 50 feet from us and closing fast. Our little dog got scared and jumped into mama's arms, which made mama the object of the pitbull's attention.

I jumped up and grabbed a shovel while she headed for the door, only problem was our dog was screwed to the ground so when the leash went tight they ran out of viable escape options. The dad somehow grabbed the little girl's other hand and the dog was lunging with everything it had on her other hand, and she was screaming her freaking head off. I got between mama and the pitbull ready to start swinging the shovel while she got our dog untied and dashed for the house. The pitbull was maybe 4 or 5 feet from me, the little girl a few more (still screaming), and dad just behind her. The dog was going berserk and looked like it was trying to figure out how to get past me. The dad was able to stop the forward motion of the dog by pulling on the girls hand/arm/whatever and got a hold of the leash, looked at me, and said, "what the f!ck are you looking at?". I admit I was too shocked at what he said to even respond.

I could hear commotion in the house (above the girl's screaming) (that HAD to hurt), so I backed up to the door to see if she (mama) was okay. Nope- fractured her ankle trying to get away. I swear I only looked away for maybe 5 seconds, but when I turned back around they were gone.

Mama was out for 8 weeks, and she still has trouble with that ankle today. The entire thing was over within maybe a minute tops.

I have thought a lot about that since, and my takeaway is that if the exact same thing happened tomorrow, I will shoot that worthless mutt without a second thought. I sincerely regret not bashing it's head in with the shovel.

17. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i dunno unless in that situation i know here if dog attacks you or your pets or on your land , you can shoot them , ive had to dispense a few over the years , mainly when i used to have goats,. i dunno why but pits love to go after goats.

i think you did well . but id be pissed . let me ask this question if your dogs would have been injured or killed would you call the cops ? i dont have neighbors mainly because im on a farm and dont like most people lol.

when i was 25 i was attacked by a pit ,came at me to fast knocked me down and did what a dog handler told me long ago .shove your arm down its throat and grab anything , it cant bite with your arm in its gut ,

sigman69, waawaaweenie and mj9mm like this.
  18. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

The pit is the aggressor. You would have been justified in whacking him.

19. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Horse****. Self defense is self defense whether it's a person or an animal.

Are you just supposed to allow yourself to be mauled because the animal is owned by someone?

That so-called owner also has a responsibility to maintain control of their property at all times.

20. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

sounds like the pit was being dominate and trying to control the turf it was at. I am not a pitbull fan, but glad you didn't have to fire your weapon... pepper spray in the future might be a first opinion...then escalate if you feel the need to so you are protected.

I would make a police report

Rotn1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.