Attack robber with bat?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by boilergonzo, Aug 23, 2007.

1. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

This is funny, scary, and a bit odd... Not sure I would have felt my Louisville slugger was up to the task, but maybe he was savvy and saw the gun he was up against wasn't in Marshall and Sannow's (or however you spell it!) "one-shot-stop" top 50! BB guns even make Lorcins look pretty good in da 'hood!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070823/LOCAL/708230559/0/BUSINESS
    (see link for security camera picture of man with bat...)

An Indianapolis shop owner used a baseball bat to fend off two men who tried to rob his Westside store at gunpoint Wednesday.

Gurmukh Singh, 26, then chased the suspects and swung his bat against a Ford pickup truck so they could not escape, according to police reports.
    "I'm not letting you go," Singh yelled. "Go ahead and shoot me."
    The incident began about 9:50 a.m. when two men wearing hooded sweatshirts entered Gagi's Market, 401 S. Warman St.
    Singh was leery of the men. He noticed they were not acting right and were not dressed appropriately for the hot summer weather, his wife told The Star.
    Singh put his hand on the bat he keeps under the counter and told his wife Niki Phagura, 23, to take their 2-year-old daughter Gagi into a back room until the suspects left.
    "They kept asking for stuff and he kept putting it on the counter," Phagura said. "When he told them how much it was, one guy went into his pockets and said 'I don't have any money, why don't you give me yours.'"
    Singh brought his bat down hard on top of the man's gun-wielding hand, according to police reports and witness accounts.
    The suspects fled; Singh chased them to the back of his store and watched them climb into a 1999 Ford Ranger pickup.
    Singh refused to allow the men to leave.
    "He took the same bat and busted out their windows," Phagura said. "They got out of the truck and started running."
    The passenger fled; the driver stopped and threatened Singh with a knife before running.
    Singh's friends and neighbors joined the chase and helped corner one of the suspects until police arrived.
    "By the time the cops got here we had quite a few people outside," Phagura said. "They (police) tackled him and handcuffed him."
    Landrum Dunning, 18, was arrested at the scene. Joshua Cody, 18, later surrendered to police. Both men were held Wednesday in the Marion County Jail on an initial charge of robbery, records show.
    Police recovered a BB gun they say the suspects used to rob the store. The incident was captured on the store's video surveillance system.

2. XDHSr

XDHSr

Crazy Hoosiers!

Serriously though, glad the BGs got caught.

3. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Much to the dismay of some GlockTalk users, guns are not for everybody. You have to hand it to the guy, he was not going to be a victum. Even if that ment using a weapon he was comfortable with.

4. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

I was hoping he would have hit an inside the park drive.

5. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Boy! He must have really been mad. Took out the windows of the getaway vehicle. :animlol:

6. Platz

Platz

At the very least, it would've been easy to spot if he'd managed to get away. :thumbsup:

7. Loucks

Loucks

You're absolutely right: violent criminals have no business using guns. They should limit themselves to rocks and pointy sticks at most.

For everybody else, a pistol is an excellent tool that should always be kept close at hand.

8. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Was the store owner's new pistol cocked?!?!:shocked:

9. epsylum

epsylum Guest

"Don't bring a BB gun to a baseball bat fight".

Ummm

:headscratch:

:supergrin: