Attack on IPAD via library wifi question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by larry_minn, Jan 30, 2017.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

surfing local library while waiting for friend. Up comes this 2" white square. "Http// stupendous it's lucky day. ... Cricket. Odd eps one in 3 of winning $349 ...." That type stuff. No op out option. Either click " yes" or stuck. Couldn't close screen, remove other then pushing physical button. So changed setting to airplane, shut off wifi, shut down, turned on...still there. Locked..
    So hit yes wifi shut down, then was able to close. So what kind of harm did I do? What should I do next time?
    Thanks

2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Not sure what to tell you. Something that would take control of any of my devices like that. I'd probably wipe it at least several times and If I could buy another one and sell the current one I may(would likely) do that.

This specific issue is why I hate and virtually never sign into public wifi. I use my phones internet.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    jmohme likes this.

3. burnsoft

burnsoft

Which browser were you using on the iPad? Safari, chrome or other?

4. peng

peng

It's just an ad they serve to pay for their free WiFi - hardly an attack.
    Just get an adblocker or use a URL killfile or the hosts file.

It may have added a BHO in your browser so just go check and delete it if so.

5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

A add? They have never had them before. It locked it so I could NOT refuse/close/change from screen.
    I am NOT computer savy. The Apple IIE was top of my info.. :0

From screenshot.
    "http//stupendous.com-us-wow8.its-your-lucky-day-today.cricket
    Your IPAD has been randomly chosen! You are the 3rd user in !
    Click OK to see your reward worth over $349"

What I am using? Safari?
    I am tempted to reset to factory options. Lots of stuff I kinda want to keep. pics, downloaded manuals... I tried to transfer to my desktop. (I don't know what I am doing) and if I did it now likley damage desktop....

Why would it add a Barrak Husane Obamma to my IPAD? He is no longer president. (or what the heck is a BHO? How do I find on IPAD? How do you delete? small terms please.

6. peng

peng

I missed the iPad part, sorry. BHO is browser helper object. The are not as bad as the other BHO. :supergrin: They are annoying programs or "add ins" or "add ons" that get put in your browser sometimes during surfing. You can search for programs to remove BHO's from Safari. Somewhere in the settings there must be (I'm not familiar with Safari) something that says view BHO's or manage add-ons. You should be able to delete from there. There must also be some way to block ads in Safari, since you have the URL this does not sound hard but I do not know Safari specifics. Sorry if this was not much help.