attachments

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by CanyonMan, Mar 3, 2010.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I see all these guys with huge pics on here and I always end up with the little squares, and I cannot do but a few then the "red bar" comes across and says, I have exceeded all my space etc.."

Not being PC literate. Iam really not understanding how these guys #1 are getting the big pics on their post. #2 how do they seem to always have the room to keep stacking them in there and I can't get but a few little small ones and I am out of luck.

Detailed simple to understand for dummies explanation of how to please. Make it real simple. LOL

Thanks

CanyonMan

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Hey CM, most of these folks aren't using Glock Talk to host their photos. They are putting them somewhere else on the Internet, and using an address/URL link to get the photos to display in their posts here.

This is the way I do it. I use ImageShack ( http://imageshack.us/ ) to host most of my photos. It's free, and you don't have to register if you don't want to (there are advantages to registering, but I never have).

Click any of the photos coming up (below) to make them bigger and easier to see/read.

Make sure you know where the photo you want to use is located on your computer (which folder, etc.). Go to the link above, and when the page opens, it will look like this:

[​IMG]

Click the "Browse" button (red arrow points to it, above). A window will open, allowing you to navigate around in your computer folders until you see the name of the photo you want to upload:

[​IMG]

In this case, it is a copy of a comic I saw online, and I saved a copy of it to my computer in a folder called "Funny." If I click the comic's file name (HunterDecoys), it will appear in the File Name box in the upload window, and when I click the Open button, this is what I see:

[​IMG]

When you click the "UPLOAD NOW" button, the imageshack website will make a copy of your photo (or my comic) and store it on one of their Internet servers/computers. It may take a few seconds for a small file, or a few minutes for a large file if you are using a slower Internet connection. As it uploads the copied photo file, the little progress bars should move from left to right, showing you that the upload is in progress. Just wait until the next page appears, which looks like this:

[​IMG]

This is the page where ImageShack shows you how to find your photo on the Internet. They give you several options for displaying it, but the second option (I circled it in red, above) is the simplest one, and (I think) the only one that doesn't have any advertising attached to it. If you click once on that second address box, the address will turn a blue color:

[​IMG]

This means it is ready to be copied onto your computer. As the address is blue, press and hold the Ctrl (control) key on your keyboard, and as you are holding it down, press the "C" key with another finger, then release both keys. This is the "Copy" command (Ctrl + C), and it will copy anything that is highlighted in blue on a page, and hold it in your computer's temporary memory. Now we need to put it somewhere we can find and use it later. (See next post)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I don't know what program you use on your computer for typing letters, documents, or similar stuff, but there is a very simple program on most Windows-based computers called NotePad. If you can find it, click it to start (or open a blank letter-type file in whatever word-processing program you use), and once you are at a blank page, press and hold the Ctrl key, and while holding it, press the "P" key on your keyboard, then release both keys. This is the Paste function, and it should take whatever you have Copied into your computer's temporary memory and Paste it into your NotePad or word processing file. In NotePad, I type a description of my photo (in this case, the comic), then hit Enter to go down to the next line, then I Paste (Ctrl + P) the address into the document and Save it. Mine would look something like this:

[​IMG]

The address to your picture's storage location on the ImageShack server/computer on the Internet is also called the URL. If you click on the address bar in your computer's browser (up near the top, if you are still at the ImageShack page it will say http://imageshack.us/ ), it will turn blue (be highlighted), and if you Paste (Ctrl + P) the address for your photo into the address bar, then hit Enter, it will show you your picture (or in this case, my comic):

[​IMG]

To get this image into one of your posts here at Glock Talk, make sure you have saved it somewhere so you can find the address/URL again, and then open the Glock Talk response box just like you have many times before:

[​IMG]

The little red arrow points to the Image Upload button. If you click this button, a little box appears, asking for the address/URL of the photo you want to display in your post:

[​IMG]

Use the Delete key, or Backspace key several times to wipe out the lettering already in that box; you don't want/need it. Once the box is empty, Use the Ctrl + P command to Paste the address into the box:

[​IMG]

And then click OK to enter and save it. It will then appear in the area where you normally type your Glock Talk messages, with IMG before and after it. This tells the Glock Talk display program that this is an image, it is located at this Internet address, now go get it and display it here. You can type before and/or after the IMG display command, and your typing will appear in the post wherever you typed it (before or after the photo). So, if I typed "Look at this funny comic I found!" and put the address for my comic in the image box, the next post (below) is what you would see:

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Look at this funny comic I found!

[​IMG]

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

CM, I just read through this entire thing, and I realize it looks horribly complicated, but it's really not as bad as it seems -- really. Here is a simple list of what you're doing at each step:

1. Finding your photo on your computer (know the name and folder name it is in).

2. Going to the photo hosting website upload page (in this case, ImageShack).

3. Uploading the photo by starting the upload window, finding the photo, clicking Open, then UPLOAD NOW when it appears on the next page.

4. Copying and saving the address so you can use it later in your post.

5. Going to Glock Talk (or any similar message board), starting your post or thread, then putting the image's address in by using the Image button (looks like a little mountain photo).

6. When your thread or post is submitted, the photo should appear in it.

You can mess around with it in this thread; only you, I, and the Admin folks can see it, so if there are any problems you need answered, I can help you privately. Go ahead, give it a shot. If you need help, make a note where you are in the process (use the numbered steps above, if you'd like, and tell me what is or isn't happening.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

WOW ! You went to MIT. ;)

I very much thank you for the detailed and most helpful instructions.
    I am going to wait a while to attack this when my brother can help walk me through it. He worked for Micro Soft many years and is the family PC guy ! haha.

If mr. wizard cannot help, I will attack this on my own, and stay in contact with you until you (patiently I hope) walk me through it. I am Major PC plain old dumb DJ. ha.

Again amig, I really appreciate all you have done here and your time and work. Man. Thanks !

You'll be hearin from me. ha ;)

CM
    Gary

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

PS.. the cartoon was a HOOT ! LOL

CM

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

DJ.

Well I guess i did it if you can see the snake and the knife pics... :cool:

I did not do it exactly the way you said, 'only because," I got confuses down the line some where (not your instructions), but my own ignorance. Ha.

Here is what I did, then I have a question or three for ya.

I went to the imageshack site clicked on browse, found the pic I wanted out of one of my cajillion folders, and clicked on the pic and clicked open, then clicked on download on the IS site. then clicked on the pic on their site to enlarge it, and then high lighted the url above and right clicked and chose copy. Then I went to word pad, and left clicked to get cursor, and right clicked the mouse to select paste. Bing, there was the url. I type a name above the url e.g. rattlers, and left it there on word pad. came to GT and clicked new thread, and typed in a sentence or two as if i were going to ost, and then clicked on the "mountin icon," and wiped it out and pasted my url from word pad in there, and clicked ok, then clicked submit and BINGO ! there she was.... Yee Haw !

Now. I gues I did it right, duh, cause it worked. if i didn't tell me where i went wrong.
    Also what happens to the pics that I put on the IS site once i leave it. To they stay on their site for the whole world to see, or do i simplt go there when I want to and paste in something like i did (above), or do they have my stuff stored there, if so is it private, and if so how to I retreveit or delete it?

I think that is my big questions for now.

Appreciate your responce to all this please amigo.

Thanks

Gary

aka CanyonMan ;)

9. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Sounds like you got it done! As long as the photo showed-up where you wanted it to be, then minor variations along the way are no big deal. Now, on to your questions.

When you upload a photo to ImageShack or any other free hosting service, you are putting a copy of the photo on their computer/server. Technically, anyone that knows the address/URL can display your photo, and some sites have a "browse" or "randomize" function that just throws random photos up for people to see (although I don't think ImageShack does that, other sites do). The rule I use is simple; if a photo is private enough that there is ANYONE you wouldn't want to see it, DON'T put a copy of it on the Internet. It's like leaving a copy of it stuck in a book in the library; if no one knows it's there, it is "safe", but someone might accidentally come across it, and then it's no longer safe/private. As far as I know, there is no way to delete a photo stored on one of these sites, so make SURE you want it out there in the world BEFORE you upload it. Even if you did delete it, anyone can make a copy of it, as I will show you in a minute (below).

Same thing if a photo might be worth money. If you have the only known picture of real live outer space aliens, it's worth a million bucks; DON'T put a copy of it online, or someone might try to steal/sell it. If it's a photo you think someone might want to copy and sell/use for any commercial reason (a cool sunset photo you took, for instance), don't put the full-size photo online. Make a smaller, low-resolution copy, so you have the only "good" copy on your computer. Folks can still see/enjoy a smaller picture, and you can keep track of the original so it doesn't get misused.

Most online/Internet photos that show up on your screen can be copied, or the address/URL can be found. Next time you see a photo (you can try it on the comic I posted, above), right-click on it and choose Properties from the menu. This is the right-click menu I see (yours might be a little different):

[​IMG]

And this is what the Properties dialog box shows me:

[​IMG]

It will tell you how big the file is, what it is named, the size of the photo in pixels, and (usually) the address/URL of where the photo is coming from. It's very easy to Copy/Paste that info, then anyone knows where your photo is, and can display it at any time. It's one of the trade-offs we have to put up with to show our friends the cool pictures we have. Some websites have special software that disables the right-click function on your computer, but many newer computers (running Windows Vista or newer software) have a screen "snip" function that allows them to "take a picture" of what is displayed on their screen. As far as I know, there is no way to stop that kind of copying.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

In short.. I hear ya ! I will be careful, and use common sence.
    Again my friend, thank you soooo very much for you help and patients with me.. You did an excellent job in helping me with this situation. I will not send any W. Texas rattlers your way hahaha...

Advice taken, and thank you very much !

Your a very good Amigo !

Give me a shout sometime..

'
    CanyonMan