Atlanta Police Shooting Suspect with Taser Videos

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by cbetts1, Jun 14, 2020.

1. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Fighting with the police is a poor idea; fighting the police and taking any of the officers weapons during the fight is an even worse idea....

Simply complying, and having your day in court is always the smartest way to go....

2. OdinIII

OdinIII

Just imagine how much better off we’d be today if this was the message being discussed on TV.

spork, JimWillson, n2g and 2 others like this.
  3. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Ridiculous that the officer was fired. This is a good shooting.

4. DannyB

DannyB

On Fox with Chris Wallace I just heard Dr. Ben Carson, if I can semi remember how he put it, said that in that split second an officer may not have known that the suspect wasn't pointing a real gun at the officer.

I interpret that to mean that the officer did what he was trained to do. His natural instinct was that a weapon was pointed at him, taser or gun, no time to guess at it.

DonGlock26, Dave514, pspez and 2 others like this.
  5. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Yeah, the fail there is they absolutely knew what he had and was pointing at them.

The video shows that seconds before the shooting the officers were wrestling with him and trying to pry the taser out of his hand.

So the, well they might not have known what he was pointing at them idea is a fail.

6. DannyB

DannyB

I know they knew he took the taser away from them. One could argue that he didn't want the taser used on him again. What's to say that in his run he didn't produce his own weapon? It isn't a completely impossible scenario.

ReaPer105 and RetailNinjitsu like this.
  7. Dragoon44

The problem with that idea is first the very short time span (seconds) between them trying to pry it out of his hand and him being shot.

Second,it was a very well lit parking lot and the taser was bright yellow.

8. Sgt127

Sgt127

That is the moment he chose to be famous.

EE902CC4-9D7C-4E67-959B-50CE0EF10E24.jpeg

9. 4949shooter

4949shooter

They would have been better off if they shot at at the 45 second point in the second video. At least they could have argued from a stronger position he was still a threat to them. Shooting as he is running away is harder to defend under the circumstances.

redrick, UncleDave, Sgt127 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dragoon44

Exactly

UncleDave, Sgt127 and 4949shooter like this.
  11. Blade37db

Blade37db

What pisses me off about these videos is I heard the family lawyer say no field sobriety tests were given. Seriously?

I wondered from the earlier clips shown how this stop ended up with the 2 cops and the suspect fighting on the ground. Now it's clear.

12. Dragoon44

From what I read not only was a field sobriety test given ( Which he failed) but a breathalyzer test was given (Which he also failed)
    It was at that point he was placed under arrest and they tried to cuff him and he violently resisted.

13. Dragoon44

Audio and video exists the show when removed from the car the cops patted Brooks down.

So there is no chance of a defense claiming they thought he might be pointing anything other than the taser he got from one of the officers.

I had wondered why the one cop who had the taser taken from him went hands on with guy with the taser in his hand. One possible reason is he may have been trying to use it in contact stun mode. Which apparently was ineffective.

14. sarge40

sarge40

I'm infuriated by the fact that there are blatant lies thrown out there to make cops look bad. The narrative is more important than the truth (the most concerning thing is why exactly the narrative is more important than the truth - what the desired outcome from all of this is). If they want justice, stick with the truth, even if that gets in the way of the narrative. Even that fat ass on the dropped bodycam footage was caught telling the black cop that he saw the whole thing and that the Brooks absolutely did nothing wrong, and that the white cops didn't have to shoot him. Did nothing wrong? Patent lie. Fat ass was making it a race issue from the get go. It's the same crap over and over again - guy did nothing wrong and the cops are racist. BS. I'm really getting sick of this because it's gaining momentum among the sheep, and it's getting dangerous.

15. Dragoon44

They have been conditioned by the leftist media to see any and all incidents the police and any minority to be racist and any force to be police brutality.

So they see what they have been taught to see.

16. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    We are seeing it right here in this thread....

wprebeck and Sgt127 like this.
  17. Spec62

Spec62 Millennium Member

Lawyers are now going to do that, for sure. Also, cause the media is what the media is:

18 U.S. Code 242. Deprivation of rights under color of law. That's lawyer involvement for sure.

The subsequent questions that will need to be answered are the procedures for engaging a fleeing subject and the appropriate use of force needed to stop that fleeing subject if the crime of that subject did not compromise life or limb of anyone?

Glad that officer gets to go home to family safely, but at what consequence long term for simply doing his job? Obeying the law/"proper" procedures can at times be a double edged sword.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  18. Ftttu

Ftttu

Did the guy have a taser with an expended cartridge? If so, I can't see how this is a good shoot from just what I've seen and believed to have happened out of the camera's view. If the officer who fired the shots didn't know if the guy had a fully functional taser or not(not just drive stun capable) and the taser was pointed at him within a reasonable distance that posed an immediate threat, to me, it is a good shoot. Again, BUT if the officer knew the taser already had a spent cartridge, I don't think this will pass the immediate use of deadly force sniff test.

I am SO SO glad I don't have to get into resisting arrest scuffles anymore, and I'm blessed none of mine ever turned into a crappe incident like this one. Prayers to ALL involved in that mess.

redrick, Vigilant, Sgt127 and 2 others like this.
  19. Dragoon44

What I saw from the video is that while running Brooks pointed the taser behind him and appeared to fire it. The closest pursuing officer quickly dodges to the left then recovers and draws and fires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Spec62 likes this.