Atlanta Officers Charged for Force during Arrest

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by PennsWoods, Jun 5, 2020.

1. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/fu...in-arrest-of-college-students-pulled-from-car

Streeter is charged with aggravated assault for using a Taser against Young and is also charged with pointing a gun at Young, arrest warrants say.

Gardner is charged with aggravated assault for using a Taser against Pilgrim, a warrant says

Lonnie Hood is charged with aggravated assault against both Young and Pilgrim for using a Taser against both of them, an arrest warrant says. He is also charged with simple battery for violently pulling Pilgrim from the car and throwing her down on to the street, a warrant says.

Willie Sauls is charged with aggravated assault for pointing a Taser at Pilgrim, a warrant says. He’s also charged with criminal damage for repeatedly hitting and damaging the driver’s side window of the car, which belongs to Pilgrim, a warrant says.

Armond Jones is charged with aggravated battery for hurting Young’s left arm when he dragged him from the car and slammed him onto the street, a warrant says. He’s also charged with pointing a gun at Young.

Roland Claud is charged with criminal damage for using a “window punch” to break the windows of Pilgrim’s car, a warrant says.

I encourage you to go to the article and watch the videos, particularly the 2nd video.

When you look at this from the viewpoint of "the other officers" who we might assume had good faith to believe their initial contact officer was trying to effect a lawful arrest and the vehicle then fled, nearly dragging the initial officer, I can't see how you can criminally charge them for what happened.

Is it a crapshow? Yes. Are arrests usually a crapshow? Also yes. Should maybe our initial officer have kept eyes on them and let the arrest team do their thing, hopefully getting out of there without further conflict? Up for debate I suppose.

I foresee Atlanta PD using a whole lot of discretion on whether to arrest people if their DA is going to charge you for criminal damage for breaking a window to make an arrest. I surely wouldn't see much criminal activity occur in my presence if I was there.

2. Sharkey

Sharkey

These chiefs and mayors keep firing officers, they are not gonna have enough left to pretend to protect the city.

knoxvegasdaddy, B C, spork and 2 others like this.

3. GlockAndMan

GlockAndMan

Police gun pointed towards a black felon is a felony, in the country of people kneeling for the killed black felon.

fx77 and DrVlad like this.
  4. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime Previously Timmeh

I sure do hope DEMONcrat cops are seeing the error in their ways. Voting yourself out of a job and arresting fellow brothers for doing theirs.

B C likes this.
  5. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I don't speak for the majority but in my small circles I've certainly heard the notion from some that you should just hold your nose and vote for the guy who won't cut the pension.

I try to respond to that by reminding them that one day they'll no longer be an officer, and they'll have to live with the conditions that they voted for. Not to mention being an officer in the conditions they voted for.

fx77 and Lt. Donn like this.
  6. LordAnderson

LordAnderson

Is that really such a horrible thing? I mean the US has a quarter of the globe's prisoners right now. Are Americans just profoundly evil people? We lock up a higher percentage of our population than communist China where even making fun of the political leadership will earn you a prison term.

Honestly I think if more cops had to go through the arrest process like they do with pepper spray and tasers, there would be a lot less arrests made in the US.

Capttjk and bdcochran like this.
  7. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

It's fine and dandy till it personally affects you and you want someone arrested for the criminal offense they committed against you or your property, or you wanted a peaceful night out and instead had a bunch of "victimless" disorderly conduct going on around you.

mist, fx77, Ohio Cop and 1 other person like this.
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt

When multiple LE agencies suddenly pull out from supporting a single agency during protests, the reason(s) might be interesting to the Public.

If I were an Atlanta resident, I'd be interested to learn about the hiring, training, retention and documented conduct & performance of the officers involved in the incident. Things like this don't usually suddenly occur in a vacuum.

I've listened to a lot of cops, both active and retired, of my generation of LE. A common element I've repeatedly heard raised as a concern has been the type of hiring, training and promotion of people within the profession in the last 15-20 years. Makes you wonder if there might be something to it.

Vigilant, Ohio Cop and Dragoon44 like this.
  9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

OK, I will bite,

Howexactly would officers going thru the "arrest process" result in a lot less arrests?

Officers arrest based on probable cause that an individual has violated the law.alaw that the officer did not write but is hired to enforce.

So basically the only way your scenario could come to pass is if officer 's arbitrarily decided not to do the job they were hired to do. And to take upon themselves the decision on which laws they would or would not enforce. ( The already have a certain amount of description but your scheme would go far beyond that.

PennsWoods likes this.
  10. spork

spork Caffeinator

Going through the arrest process will not change anything. I was cuffed and searched as part my training as a PO, but do you mean actually going to jail and being booked? I don't understand what you mean.

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

You might ponder for a moment upon the number of people around the world who don't become prisoners because their police/military don't bother to take them into custody and then send them to prison.

Consider the mass graves that have been found around the world.

Consider the reports of family members saying that loved ones have been taken from them by local "authorities" and were never heard from again.

Fewer prisoners reported as being kept in prisons may only mean fewer people make it to prisons in some places.

Consider that it's labor intensive and costly to keep people incarcerated, and some places may find that undesirable.

12. LordAnderson

LordAnderson

LOL, I've only had a few interactions with the cops and only one where I was the victim. They took a report (the only reason they were there) and left. 4 or so years later another agency calls me up and tells me they found a gun that was stolen. They confirm that I reported it stolen and tell me to come get it. The officer I meet with casually explains to me that they found it on a table with a bunch of people around so no one was charged. I asked if they'd have done the same if it were say, a baggie of cocaine and he sheepishly said no, someone would have caught a charge. He then tells me that he was actually about to take a load of guns to the foundry to get melted down but decided that this one should get run through the stolen guns database.

What that means is that prior to my batch, he had melted down people's recovered firearms without making any attempt to contact them.

13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Not always....many grab the pension and flee to a better place..I and hundreds from FL did just that

PennsWoods and fastbolt like this.
  14. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I can see a time coming where the bodycam is streamed real-time to the oncall DA...for an immediate ruling on the arrest

knoxvegasdaddy likes this.
  15. Taz

Taz

Pretty sure a lot of academies put their cadets through the process of being arrested in something that folks call training. You think academies go out and bring in known criminals for the cadets to train on? That “demand/expectation” makes as much sense as a soup sandwich.

China executes a lot of folks without any press present to make a note if it. I grew up under a communist regime and had people we knew up and freaking disappear. People aren’t making that up. It’s real. Jails in other nations also don’t offer free cable tv, gyms ad nauseum so maybe those that can stay the hell away. The legal system in many places are also not a roulette game where the house is the criminal where we offer EVERY possible excuse to let them off, out early, ad nauseum. So maybe folks know if they play they will lose hard. How many states use caning for petty crimes instead of incarceration.

If we truly believe that the folks in our prisons are innocent and have evidence of that then I’ll wager many Americans would stand with people demanding their release.

If we believe there are too many folks in prison for petty crimes, then get rid of petty laws. Why toss a hair stylists in jail for opening her business?? Start there.

It’s not racist cops who pass the laws and demand that those they hire for the task do their jobs. It’s not the fault of Target, CVS, AutoZone that there are so many laws on the books...

If you want to offer up more discretion to LEO about which laws they enforce and against whom, you may be in for quite a shock as to how that gets put in place. There is a very good chance the same groups from all aspects of society will be hit hard if not harder. Cops know who the ****heads in our communities are. You think they are going to cut slack to some schmuck they deal with every other shift??? Get real.

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Then, imagine when it's taken a step further, and the Public wakes up one day to find that the on-call judge, along with the on-call jury, tries and decides all cases in real time. Streamline the process and avoid cluttering things up with those pesky things like gathering evidence and preserving it, taking statements and doing followup investigation, etc.

Wait!! Haven't we already seen this predicted by one of our popular arts forms?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4FEjICVog&feature=youtu.be

Lt. Donn likes this.
  17. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

I don't know how they even recruit officers in these cities were the local officials themselves hate the rule of law. Being an officer in a leftist city, talk about a thankless job. The day is coming when the crime rate will rise back to 90s levels in these cities, but the media will excuse that or blame in on whitey/republicans.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't know about Georgia, but judging from the screaming and hysteria and the ongoing rioting, I would guess that in Kentucky the driver, at the point when the officer opens his door, would be charged with Disorderly Conduct - class B misdemeanor, up to 90 days in jail - "Refuses to obey an official order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard, or other emergency." KRS 525.060.

Then, when tried to flee, he would add resisting arrest (class A misdemeanor, up to 12 months) and maybe Assault in the 3rd Degree - "Recklessly, with a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument, or intentionally causes or attempts to cause physical injury to: 1. A state, county, city, or federal peace officer." (class D felony, up to 5 years).

PennsWoods likes this.
  19. mrdann

mrdann

THAT is an absolute lie. EVERY gun recovered by EVERY LEA in the US is run through NICS and NBIN and any "hits" are confirmed with the entering agency who notifies the reporting party of the recovery and current location of the gun.

slamdunc likes this.
  20. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I love that comparison, lol. Know why we have more prisoners than China? They kill theirs a lot more. I'm completely okay with more executions, but I don't think that's the point of your comment. I also don't think your comment has a valid point, but there ya go.

cherokeewarrior and Dragoon44 like this.