Atlanta Mayoral Aide used Detective's ID to order two machine guns

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wreckless, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

We had 6 A1s. They have since been taken up and just sit in locked evidence room now. Our Narc guys have some full auto stuff be we are fixing to take them up also. With limited training and liability i do not see a use for them at our dept.

2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!

Sure, pretty much every SWAT unit that uses the AR platform is using 3 round burst guns, usually short barrel versions, and some departments even issue them to patrol officers ; there is a department someplace (I forget where, but it's a small agency here in the US) that issues Glock G-18's as their issue handgun; There are even a few agencies out there still using MP-5's.....

mj9mm likes this.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Wayyyy back when, the department I started with in FL had mini-Uzis for the tactical unit (not really a SWAT team, they just did warrant service on drug locations) ...they had that nifty little side-folding stock , and they were really finicky about ammo; about that time, the DEA CLET teams were operating (anyone who remembers them is an old timer now) and they were using the 9mm Colt Commando subgun, everyone thought they were the bee's knees back then.

4. blueiron

blueiron

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office [under Joe Arpaio] bought a FN M-2HB .50 machinegun complete with M3 tripod.

It was supposedly promoted as a way to protect the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station against aircraft attacks., but just how do you employ this...
    [​IMG]
    ..against an aircraft attacking from altitude? Unless the Cessna 172 is taxiing on the road leading into the plant, that thing is useless against aerial targets.

FOJ [Friends Of Joe] got MCSO to buy it so they could play with it at taxpayer expense. There wasn't even an approved course of fire for the damn thing.

Someone told the new Sheriff that MCSO should retain it in case of a escape of a hippo, a rhino, etc. from a Phoenix zoo. That did not go over well. I can imagine the visceral reaction of the public if they saw video of a Deputy cutting down a hippo with a Ma Deuce and tracer rounds in the public streets.

Thankfully, the damn thing is gone now.

5. ray9898

ray9898

.....because it is evidence in criminal activities the Feds are already investigating.

6. thewitt

thewitt

So what's the story here?

A Mayor's aid illegally used someone else's ID to order weapons and was caught, and will go to jail.

OK.

mj9mm likes this.
  7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I’ve never seen a three round in LE, semi or full is in abundance. I’m sure places use them, just none I’m familiar with. Our SRT has full auto and suppressors. Very nice setup. There has been talk of getting a similar setup, for patrol, but with a lower priced rifle base.

The PD SRT’s primary weapon is the MP5.

pgg00 likes this.
  8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mayhem like Me

Yes to full auto , personal experience.

10. Mayhem like Me

I know of no SWAT units using burst , they are bad and unreliable , what we do is train extensively to get 2-3 round bursts from each trigger pull.
    Too many issues with burst mechanisms current best practice is to use trigger control in semi or full auto modes.

11. Mayhem like Me

I shot that in a class while Joe was there the SWAT guys said the Sheriff ordered them to train with it so they used to get it out during SWAT related classes that were hosted at the agency on occasion.

12. KikoMonster

KikoMonster

I am guessing they are needed as evidence.

13. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I heard they had some m4s, and rumors of other stuff acquired after 9/11 ( unconfirmed)

14. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I know of a federal agency that gives the 3 round burst. They are moving to the newest and latest soon so they will go full auto soon.

15. blueiron

blueiron

I cannot foresee a legitimate LE use for a 12.7x99mm caliber heavy machinegun that was designed as a anti-materiel weapon.

Joe Arpaio is as reknown a LE tactician as Maxine Waters is a legitimate authority in urban renewal.

Newcop761 likes this.
  16. Mayhem like Me

I can think of a few times where it could’ve been useful but they are rare terrorists or criminals barricade in a building with no friendlies would be a go in my book.

wreckless and larry_minn like this.
  17. Mayhem like Me

As a trainer I can tell you that the burst mechanisms are lazy man’s out ,really not a substitute for proper training .We use the SCAR 10.5 very controllable and easy to regulate on full auto with short burstsThe qualification course has two head shots with a weapon on full auto To make the standard they have to be single shots and on target

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dude.. You said I could have it as long as I wanted.

19. wreckless

wreckless

Like the Philly PD MOVE standoff. They wouldn't of had to drop a bomb and burn out a city block of row homes if they'd of had and employed a Ma Deuce.