Atlanta Gun Shop Story

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Zut, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Zut

Zut

I have a very good friend who is a disabled USMC Korean war vet. He had an attempted home invasion recently and the Cherokee County Sheriff advised him to get a weapon. My buddy has small hands and a piece of finger missing on his strong hand. Pannells Firearms sold him a used Taurus PT92 for $400 in December. He couldn't even get his hand around the double stack grip and was afraid to shoot it. We took it back today and asked if they would trade it for a used like-price single stack pistol. Not only did they say no, but the salesman told me he wasn't really a salesman, just an "order taker". The best the manager would offer was $200 on a trade in. We ended up down at Nick's, where they gave him a great trade in and good deal on a new .380 Bersa. Its not the best defensive weapon, but he is confident with it and can handle it safely. Even with all the physical problems, that old guy still shoots like a Marine! I don't normally mention the name of a shop, but I thought that Pannells could have treated a disabled vet with a little more compassion.

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

thats how they do business, he should have handled before he bought.

3. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Yeah I feel sorry for the fellow, but if it's used how could the shop take it back as new? It's already been transferred to one guy, it could be a nightmare for the shop trying to resell it as new if there is ever any warranty work.

Definitely should have checked out those big Taurus grips first.

4. bithabus

bithabus

Some gun shops are just about money. But, your friend should have handled the gun before buying.

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

An order taker? Sounds like a shop I would never want to visit.

But yeah, your friend needs to step up and take responsibility. That's like buying a car and finding out you can't reach the pedals.

6. Zut

Zut

I've been in some kind of technical sales my whole career. I always tried to "fit" the product to the customers requirement. Has worked well for me...

7. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

I hope the bersa fits better. I think it probably will. Another good option may have the sig p6 which would have given you 9mm rather than .380.

but anyway just a couple of thoughts...

- if you cant try the grip and handling of a gun before you buy it, its on you and not the gun dealer.
    - the beretta 92fs and taurus clone are notoriously throughout history (the last 25years...) known as oversized.
    - the bersa new is about 235 or so. So your original dealer offer of 200, wasnt that far off. (unless you got cash back too...)

either way though...good luck and let us know how the bersa shoots. it seems well made.

8. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

While I hate it for him as well why did he purchase a gun he couldn't use/ or was affraid of in the first place? Surely he held the gun before he just laid down money for it and he was ok with it then.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

Having worked in retail gun shops for over a decade I see this as a mistake on both parts. Your buddy should have handled anything he intended to buy. On the other hand it is part of the job of the gun salesman to help the customer. You shouldn't sell a gun to anyone without putting it in their hand. I find it hard to imagine a scenario where an over the counter gun transaction goes down without the customer ever handling the gun. Every time I sold or baught a gun the first thing that happens is playing with it. Even if it was a gun that everyone was already familiar with, it would still get handled.

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I recommend Cherokee County Pawn; nice folks good selection.

11. trifecta

trifecta

If a non expert goes to purchase a product at a specialty store, they expect the staff to steer them in the right direction. The employee can call himself an order taker, but it is still a sales job. While most of us know what we need to do to make an appropriate gun purchase, a new owner probably won't. Too bad the customer didn't call the OP before the first purchase. Also, too bad the store didn't take care of the customer the first time he walked in the door.

12. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

As said, you gotta feel sorry for the guy, but it was contributory negligence in not knowing what he was getting into.

But I see it every day on the gunboards.
    "What did I just buy?" (Picture or more likely vague verbal description.)
    "I bought a Brand X for $795, did I get a good deal?"
    "I just bought a Brand Y, what is it worth?"

I guess there is just more money floating around loose these days than when I was getting into guns. Back then there was a strong tendency to research a purchase to death. We weren't always right, but we were as careful as we knew how.

13. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

You make a good point with that. But I just can't imagine buying a gun that didn't fit in my hand or I was affraid to use :dunno:

14. AA#5

AA#5

I'd have to agree. I worked in retail firearms for 7 years. Unless a customer insists on buying something without handling it, I always had him/her handle several.

I'll never forget the well-to-do guy who insisted on a Jennings 22 ($49.95 at the time). I said I would write it up if he wanted it but he can't expect it to function all the time & some of them have broken after 20 rounds. I also warned him about keeping a round in the chamber because there was no firing pin safety so it may fire if dropped or bumped. He bought it, then came back a week later complaining that he was getting out of his new BMW & the Jennings fell on the pavement & fired. The repair to his center console's electronics cost around $3,000.00. I reminded him how lucky he was the bullet didn't go through his head.

15. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

The question is, would it have hit anything but air if it did? A guy who could afford a BMW but insists on a $49.95 Jennings 22 after being warned (by someone with experience) about both mechanical and safety issues sounds like a few fries short of a happy meal. :rofl:

16. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Speaking specifically about the service, I know what you are talking about. I live near the area, and have been in there a few times. They sure act and try to make you believe that they 'KNOW EVERYTHING'!!! :upeyes: Needless to say, I have no desire to do business there, ever.

If you or your friend is ever up towards Holly Springs, stop by Big Woods Goods and talk to Bill and Teresa, husband and wife team that own the place. Very good folks and a pleasure to do business with.

17. Stubudd

Stubudd

I went to that shop a few months ago, for the first and last time. If you want to see a lot of different guns, go down to adventure outdoors in smyrna. They have in the neighborhood of 1000 handguns in the cases there.

18. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Yep, that's a good place as well. If I'm looking for ammo, and happen to be down that way, I'll usually stop in and get lucky at that place.

19. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sounds like it was more his finger wouldn't reach on his firing hand. I have small hands for a man and don't have any trouble with my PT99.