close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ATFE Agent goes off the deep end.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Apr 6, 2010.

1. blueiron

blueiron

First a Flagstaff police officer commits suicide and now this.

ATF agent apparently kills wife, self in Flagstaff

Apr. 6, 2010 02:38 PM

Associated Press .

FLAGSTAFF - Authorities say an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives apparently shot and killed his wife before turning the gun on himself at their home in Flagstaff.

ATF special agent in charge Bill Newell said Tuesday that 37-year-old Daniel Raponi and his wife, 34-year-old Jessie Raponi, were found dead by Flagstaff police.

Police said three children ran from the home to a neighbor who is a police officer after they heard gunshots inside their residence late Monday.

Newell says the children were Jessie Raponi's from a previous relationship. Daniel Raponi also leaves two young children from his previous marriage.

Flagstaff police and the ATF are jointly investigating the apparent murder-suicide.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/06/20100406murder-suicide-flagstaff.html

2. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

I always thought the folks in Flag were a little off kilter.

Sad to see that the innocent wife had to go down with him.....

3. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Way to go. He felt it necessary to abandon 5 kids?!

:sad:

4. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

We will never know ALL the details here, i.e., extramarital affair, drugs, etc.,

5. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

It doesn't matter if she banged several football teams worth of men or he was on more meds than Elvis, doesn't give this POS any excuse to murder.

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Bad, all the way around. I sure feel sorry for the kids. My prayers will include them.

7. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Yaeh, what HACK said.

8. Scott3670

Scott3670

Dan was a friend of mine and I knew him for years. He always struck me as a level-headed guy. Not in a million years would I ever have guessed that he would have done such a thing. There must have been some significant reason for his action (although no reason can justify what he did) and I truly feel sorry for their kids.

RIP Dan, we'll miss you.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Sad to hear about this and the damage it will do to the kids.

10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Prayers for the kids.

11. 4949shooter

4949shooter

+100 on the prayers.

What is going on in Flagstaff?

12. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

Sad, although in the scheme of things, better than taking the kids with him (as some crazies have done in recent years).

13. user

user VaLegalDefense

Why is ATF investigating that incident? Are they qualified under AZ law as "law enforcement officers" with general jurisdiction? The fact that the dude was their employee doesn't give them jurisdiction under federal law. And if I were from local law enforcement, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the apparent "murder/suicide" was really an incidence of "office politics". The same way one would not dismiss the possibility that someone living in the same home and having a relationship with the victim of a murder may have had a hand in the crime. I'd be concerned that someone from ATF would muck up the crime scene and information for reasons unrelated to AZ law enforcement.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  14. merlynusn

merlynusn

I'm guessing ATF is assisting the local police department in the investigation. ATF is also conducting an internal investigation into what could have gone wrong, who may have known he was going off the deep end, etc.

15. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

I've been pondering that for years. It's a pretty cool college town with some gnarly winter weather. Lots of hippies and a whole lot of older folks. Wages are low and the real estate is real high. Add all those things together and it's a interesting place none the less....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  16. jpa

jpa CLM

Maybe it's because the rifle he used had a 15.9" barrel or his pistol had a vertical foregrip on it, making it an unregistered SBR? Who cares why they're investigating. I've noticed that whenever a member of a LE agency is involved in something, they generally conduct their own investigation regardless of who is handling the incident.

17. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

What is strange is that this story hasn't made press in the local paper here in Flag. The suicide of the FPD officer over the weekend didn't pop up until yesterday, and then only a small blurb buried deep in the middle of the thing.

I've lived in Flag for three years now. It has its ups and downs. The hippies definitely keep it interesting.

18. blueiron

blueiron

It was in the AZ Daily Sun online yesterday. That paper does have weird reporting though.

19. blueiron

blueiron

They have a right and a responsibility to run their administrative investigation, since their employee was involved in criminal acts and actions which are a violation of DHS and Federal internal employment policies.

While their employee is now dead, they want to ascertain if his employment, his cases and caseload, and a number of other internal factors are involved. It appears to be a homicide/suicide, but that must be concretely determined.

They are also there to secure Federal property; such as his credentials, his weapons, any explosives, any case related and classified documents, and any other property that belongs to the Federal government.

They are also their to provide support to Flagstaff detectives by providing information related to his employment and those related issues.

Years ago, I was investgating the suicide of an Air Force officer. When I telephoned the Security Police Squadron to inform the base commander's office and the USAF of the incident, I was soon on the phone in a conference call with the base commander and some other personnel as well. Within an hour, I had USAFOSI personnel on scene and aiding the investigation because of programs that the officer was involved with.

They did not 'run' the investigation and asked for permission to pretty much do anything there like photograph the scene, interview the spouse, examine papers, etc.

20. timetrial-pro

timetrial-pro

Long hours, pressure from the top, pressure from home. Never home always traveling, traveling, traveling, calls at all hours. doesn't mix well with a marriage. Sorry for all that have been affected by this tragedy....