ATF to reclassify AR and AK pistols as AOWs?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by B C, Oct 26, 2020.

1. B C

B C

MAC just posted this

"URGENT: PLEASE SHARE THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE!

A letter from the law firm of Wiley Rein LLP was sent to me for sharing on social media (see link). The law firm of Wiley Rein is one of the largest law firms in the firearms industry and represents a number of major manufacturers in their dealings with the BATF and regulations. This is NOT a joke nor is it speculation. This is a stark warning of things to come and I hope it prompts you to take political action.

This letter is about several things but primarily it is something you should take very seriously because of recent actions by the BATF that will affect any owner of AR15 pistols, AK pistols, HK pistols, etc. Yes, this means your Saint AR pistol or your Draco. That's exactly what the ATF is targeting.

There are several things of importance in this email.

First: It goes against the Trump administrations Executive Order mandating such regulatory practices cease. The BATF has lead the charge is thumbing their nose at the President and his DOJ under the leadership of Attorney General Barr.

Second: Any firearm that has a barrel length that is too long, or the firearm is too heavy will be considered not importable by the BATF. No more pistol versions of rifles will be importable.

Third and the MOST IMPORTANT: Through unwritten interpretation of regulations and through private correspondence with unspecified companies, the ATF has capriciously and arbitrarily decided that ANY AR15 pistol, AK pistol, HK pistol, etc. is an ANY OTHER WEAPON (AOW) and thus is subject to the NFA and taxation. Any company who produces such firearms for sale in the United States and any consumer/owner of such firearms are either manufacturing or in possession of illegal AOW's. This is being retroactively enforced. It does not matter if you bought a previously approved firearm. The only way you can be for certain you are not in possession of an illegal NFA item is to personally submit your AR15 pistol, AK pistol, etc. to the ATF for a determination.

upload_2020-10-26_18-26-13.png

2. B C

B C

Of course they'd pull this **** right now. They picked this week to push this stuff out and spread it.

3. DeraldR

DeraldR

This needs to be sticky'd to the top so that it does not get buried.

4. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Possibly last desperate push before next scotus appointment?
    If trump wins he needs to slash and burn these corrupt government agencies.

5. Bradd D

Bradd D

Makes me glad I never got into the pistol/brace craze.

6. nursetim

nursetim

If true, a prime example of why one should never trust the government to “interpret” anything. Because they can just as easily “interpret” thing unfavorably as favorably.

g30nut, CAcop, railfancwb and 11 others like this.
  7. nursetim

nursetim

8. Cambo

Cambo

What about AR "Others"? I have one of those, which is legal in NJ. It's not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. Could pistol owners add a vertical foregrip (necessary for Other classification) and get the right length barrel?

UncleDave likes this.
  9. narkcop128

narkcop128

10. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

Sounds like Trump should start sending out some pink slips

11. -JCN-

-JCN-

Wait, so if it’s an AOW then it’s a $5 stamp instead of a $200 SBR? That actually works out better for me.

Sure, you could say registration is on the way to confiscation. But if you take that part of it out, financially it makes things easier than what I would have done.

Jade Falcon, Schrag4 and catman71 like this.
  12. B C

B C

He took steps last week to make firing these types in the Government much easier.

13. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

I know nothing about NJ state laws.

Having a lower listed on the 4473 as other does not exempt you/it from federal laws on rifles/short barrel rifles/pistols. If you build a pistol and put a forward grip on it, or build a sbr, it being listed as other won't save you.

1bigK likes this.
  14. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Come on man!!

Yes, AOW is $5, SBR, SBS, Silencers, Form 1s and Form4s are all $200.

Besides that though, if one actually reads what is being SPECULATED about by this law firm, nothing is actually known and a lot of what they're saying constitutes an AOW is stuff that is applicable to a standard Glock 17.

Rifle sights? WTF are those? Notch and post?

Ability to accept high capacity drums? Hello South Korea...

A long barrel creating an imbalance at the shooters hand? Gimme a length requirement or STFU (not you specifically). I've seen 16 inch G17 barrels.

They don't even try to quantify 90% of the **** they're talking about.

I trust Tim Harmsman as far as I can throw him and I trust a law firm even less.

Gimme something solid to read from the ATF and I'll get worked up. Until then, I'm filing this under election stumping of the gun community.

15. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

The pistol brace deal is a cat out of the bag.

good luck with all that.

Sherlock913, narkcop128, B C and 2 others like this.
  16. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

You see, this is why we need CW2!!!

Jus sayin.

17. 1bigK

1bigK

Obozo had changed how certain agencies like BATFE could pass new rules, laws, etc. Before any changes would have to be written as a bill and presented to Congress to vote on, quite often changing that bill, and approve of the new law taking effect. This was seen as too slow and cumbersome a process by anti-2A forces. Obozo streamlined the process by giving ATF the power to write memo’s or laws and enacting an effective date of application for these changes to take effect at their discretion (without congressional oversight or approval). The writing was on the wall for laws like this and many, many more over the coming years. Of course O presented this sweeping shift of power as a cost savings measure by removing draconian and outdated redundancies in legislation, and the masses cheered.

Personally I see this as merely a test case to see how enforcing such retro bans will be accepted by the general populace. The real goal (short term) is an assault weapons ban, and probably more.

We need to contact our elected representatives to explain that they need to rein in ATF’s power to write and enact laws without oversight or recourse. Seems like I recall something about O bragging that he had made this change in some manner that it could never be undone. Now you and I both know that there is no such thing as a permanent change that comes about as a result of an executive action. Congress should be the controlling authority thru which any new laws and amendments must pass and be approved.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    mikey357, Sherlock913, DrVlad and 2 others like this.
  18. Master Guns

Master Guns

I glad you didn’t ether. We don’t want you on the bandwagon.

19. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Headed for a group of folks clearing out a local agency by force at some point. The tea party is overdue

g30nut, Sherlock913 and Master Guns like this.