GlockTalk Forum banner

381 - 400 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
31,495 Posts
at least there are a handful of braces that DID get approval letters. And if the ATF just flat says ‘No Braces for you‘ they’ve denied access to the handicapped.
I suspect if BATF pushes this to its logical conclusion they will say that braces are only legal if actually used as intended, that is, your arm put through it. Which is way beyond what they did a few years ago when they "banned" just shouldering it.

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,605 Posts
And if the ATF just flat says ‘No Braces for you‘ they’ve denied access to the handicapped.
I wonder if a handicapped person ever used one.

·
2,605 Posts
Maybe I'll see a handicapped person using one some day.

Reactions: TheDreadnought

·
Anti-Federalist
19,624 Posts
Maybe I'll see a handicapped person using one some day.

Maybe, but it's not a requirement to own or use one. No need to hang your handicap placard off the bayonet lug either ;)

·
2,605 Posts
How do you know by looking at them that they aren’t handicapped? Maybe their placard hasn’t came in the mail yet!
Because they would have their arm inserted into the brace as designed. Not shouldered as you would a rifle. I am at different ranges at least once a week and have been for years. I have only seen braces shouldered and not used as designed.

Don't get me wrong, they should be fine to own as should SBRs (without stamp) and even select-fire weapons. But we are kidding ourselves when we say these are for the disabled. With the ones I have handled it would be difficult, if not impossible, to get my normal sized arm into the brace.

Reactions: CAcop

·
2,605 Posts
I wasn’t entirely serious with my post, in fact, I’d actually agree with the statement above if you remove your emphasized word.
Emphasized word removed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
And that’s the rub. Every law on the books regarding firearms regulates how the firearm is built, not used. Saying that this pistol is legal until it’s shouldered, then it’s an SBR is almost impossible to empirically prove in court. No one can examine a braced pistol and determine how it was used.

Just to be safe, I’m getting a note from my doctor. “My shoulder hurts, I need a prescription for a medical device for my firearms”

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like as I predicted, it’s now official:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-IkVtY1PMoU

Definitely goes to show that the ATF jumping on Q was just a way for them to jump on SB Tactical.

This is disgusting and it's even more disgusting that our legislators are allowing it to happen. The atf's word should not be the law of the land because they change their minds too much.

·
Scottish Member
11,678 Posts
Sounds like as I predicted, it’s now official:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-IkVtY1PMoU
What the guy says in the video appears to be misleading. If you look at the referenced documents, it appears that The ATF stated that some (the majority) of the SBT braces have not been evaluated; which seems to be true. It also appears that SBT mislead buyers about ATF approval. It doesn’t mean that the owners of the braces now have illegal SBRs, but until the ATF evaluates the product, maybe - maybe not an SBR.

·
Rational
14,452 Posts
I don't know why some of you keep pissing your knickers about this. Firstly, there is no way to track any of the braces that were sold, at least not without a TON of court orders and lengthy investigations that would take up far too much time and resources, with circumstantial evidence at best, especially in this day and age. Secondly, there is no ATF boogieman looking over your shoulder at the shooting range, and I highly doubt the range owner/master is going to phone them up when they see you on the range with a brace. And thirdly, I can almost guarantee you that most street cops in this country don't know a thing about ATF approvals and don't follow them on the regular, and probably also don't know much about pistol braces in general, so the chances that your gun is going to be confiscated by them and you get arrested is slim at best.

If you have them, use them. Just stop with the endless handwringing about it. If they scare you so much, sell them. Hell, send me a PM and I'll buy it from you.....and I don't even own an AR pistol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know why some of you keep pissing your knickers about this. Firstly, there is no way to track any of the braces that were sold, at least not without a TON of court orders and lengthy investigations that would take up far too much time and resources, with circumstantial evidence at best, especially in this day and age. Secondly, there is no ATF boogieman looking over your shoulder at the shooting range, and I highly doubt the range owner/master is going to phone them up when they see you on the range with a brace. And thirdly, I can almost guarantee you that most street cops in this country don't know a thing about ATF approvals and don't follow them on the regular, and probably also don't know much about pistol braces in general, so the chances that your gun is going to be confiscated by them and you get arrested is slim at best.

If you have them, use them. Just stop with the endless handwringing about it. If they scare you so much, sell them. Hell, send me a PM and I'll buy it from you.....and I don't even own an AR pistol.

381 - 400 of 445 Posts