GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Scottish Member
11,215 Posts
I believe TC won in court on this, and got it relaxed some.
The Thompson Center case was a bit different. You can assemble a pistol into a rifle, and back - as long as you never assemble an SBR in the process.

If the ATF were to consider a brace as a stock - you could own a pistol (no stock and <16" barrel), an upper with a 16" barrel and a brace/stock. Or a pistol with no stock, and a rifle with a stock or; brace and a stock.

Constructive intent would be where you only own parts to assemble an illegal configuration, as in a <16" barrel upper, a compatible lower and a compatible stock (with no 16" compatible upper).

Reactions: Quigley

·
Scottish Member
11,215 Posts
SB tactical has letters from the ATF attesting to the legality of their products. If the ATF summarily revoked that, I think that SB Tactical, and anyone who owned one of their products, would have a good legal case against the ATF.
Just like the manufacturers and owners of "bump stocks"?

·
Anti-Federalist
17,727 Posts
I wonder if this will affect the braced Non NFA "Others"? They seem to be harping on OAL less than 26". All "Others" are greater than 26", but are not pistols, rifles. or AoW's.
They are classified as firearms when purchased so a pistol brace is a moot point as they aren't pistols.

Reactions: Fyrfytr998

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Did they? I never heard that.

Also, the ATF isn't the final authority on NFA issues. The federal courts are. It all goes back to the language of the NFA. My take is that, given the language of the NFA, the ATF has more legal justification declaring AR pistols as AOWs, than it does declaring bump stocked ARs as class 3 machine guns. But the courts will have to decide that.

Just like the manufacturers and owners of "bump stocks"?

·
Scottish Member
11,215 Posts
Did they? I never heard that.

Also, the ATF isn't the final authority on NFA issues. The federal courts are. It all goes back to the language of the NFA. My take is that, given the language of the NFA, the ATF has more legal justification declaring AR pistols as AOWs, than it does declaring bump stocked ARs as class 3 machine guns. But the courts will have to decide that.
Sure the manufacturers of bump stocks had opinion letters from the ATF stating that they were legal. Just like Bill Akins had a letter from the ATF stating that his device was not a NFA item. All of them are out of business now.

Still waiting on the courts on the bump stock issue, meanwhile manufacturers (who invested significant amounts of money for tooling, etc) are out of business (at least the bump stock business) and buyers (who spent millions of dollars) had to destroy/dispose of their purchases without any compensation.

Reactions: Quigley

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Id just register it as an AOW and then you can put a vfg on it....

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,440 Posts
I believe he is saying, in a less than artful way, that you are a government boot licker. I may be wrong. Perhaps Quigley can explain.

Reactions: 686 AR15 G17Fan

·
Elite Member
6,570 Posts
I believe he is saying, in a less than artful way, that you are a government boot licker. I may be wrong. Perhaps Quigley can explain.
Exactly, posts like that make me think that people actually get excited at the idea of filing NFA paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
But if we all become felons Democrats will court our vote and give us special privileges.

My kids need a four year scholarship to Brown and Princeton

·
Registered
270 Posts
The thread title is disingenuous. Did thousands of bumbstock owners get rounded up and sent to prison? Why not? Why would anyone think they would handle braces any differently, if the decision is in fact reversed?

Calm down, people.
I am not sure, but when that happened, was Obama President or Trump? I do not remember actually.

IMO Obama was a lazy liberal (thankfully), and Biden is a mean more corrupt than normal liberal and to think he would not relish the idea of removing our gun rights (not saying you disagree with that) and to just do the pre WW2 German thing of poo pooing things as "naw, they won't do THAT"is as bad as seeing a boogie man behind every action. I was once delusional (once?) and used to sit back and think that the ATF is full of Patriots, and apparently that is not the case, some of them are evil liberals.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I am not sure, but when that happened, was Obama President or Trump? I do not remember actually.

IMO Obama was a lazy liberal (thankfully), and Biden is a mean more corrupt than normal liberal and to think he would not relish the idea of removing our gun rights (not saying you disagree with that) and to just do the pre WW2 German thing of poo pooing things as "naw, they won't do THAT"is as bad as seeing a boogie man behind every action. I was once delusional (once?) and used to sit back and think that the ATF is full of Patriots, and apparently that is not the case, some of them are evil liberals.
Oh, I don't think any govt agency is full of patriots, quite the opposite. You make a fair point about Obama being seemingly lazy when it came to pushing anti-gun measures, and an uncertainty about what Biden might do (or his handlers, we all know Biden is out to pasture, already). I just can't see them rounding up a bunch of law-abiding individuals instead of doing what they normally do - announce a decision, give a protest period, and allow people to turn them over voluntarily. It makes no sense to turn a bunch of tax-payers into costly inmates for no reason.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts