ATF Reversal Could Turn Millions of Gun Owners into Felons

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by ERASER, Oct 9, 2020.

1. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

The Thompson Center case was a bit different. You can assemble a pistol into a rifle, and back - as long as you never assemble an SBR in the process.

If the ATF were to consider a brace as a stock - you could own a pistol (no stock and <16" barrel), an upper with a 16" barrel and a brace/stock. Or a pistol with no stock, and a rifle with a stock or; brace and a stock.

Constructive intent would be where you only own parts to assemble an illegal configuration, as in a <16" barrel upper, a compatible lower and a compatible stock (with no 16" compatible upper).

Quigley likes this.
  2. PEC-Memphis

Just like the manufacturers and owners of "bump stocks"?

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

They are classified as firearms when purchased so a pistol brace is a moot point as they aren't pistols.

Fyrfytr998 likes this.
  4. BBMW

BBMW

Did they? I never heard that.

Also, the ATF isn't the final authority on NFA issues. The federal courts are. It all goes back to the language of the NFA. My take is that, given the language of the NFA, the ATF has more legal justification declaring AR pistols as AOWs, than it does declaring bump stocked ARs as class 3 machine guns. But the courts will have to decide that.

5. PEC-Memphis

Sure the manufacturers of bump stocks had opinion letters from the ATF stating that they were legal. Just like Bill Akins had a letter from the ATF stating that his device was not a NFA item. All of them are out of business now.

Still waiting on the courts on the bump stock issue, meanwhile manufacturers (who invested significant amounts of money for tooling, etc) are out of business (at least the bump stock business) and buyers (who spent millions of dollars) had to destroy/dispose of their purchases without any compensation.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Quigley likes this.
  6. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Id just register it as an AOW and then you can put a vfg on it....

7. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Why? Because you like the taste of boot polish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

What does that even mean? Lol!

9. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

I believe he is saying, in a less than artful way, that you are a government boot licker. I may be wrong. Perhaps Quigley can explain.

686 AR15 G17Fan likes this.
  10. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Exactly, posts like that make me think that people actually get excited at the idea of filing NFA paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

686 AR15 G17Fan likes this.
  11. OXMYX

OXMYX

But if we all become felons Democrats will court our vote and give us special privileges.

My kids need a four year scholarship to Brown and Princeton

GRT22 likes this.
  12. GRT22

GRT22

I am not sure, but when that happened, was Obama President or Trump? I do not remember actually.

IMO Obama was a lazy liberal (thankfully), and Biden is a mean more corrupt than normal liberal and to think he would not relish the idea of removing our gun rights (not saying you disagree with that) and to just do the pre WW2 German thing of poo pooing things as "naw, they won't do THAT"is as bad as seeing a boogie man behind every action. I was once delusional (once?) and used to sit back and think that the ATF is full of Patriots, and apparently that is not the case, some of them are evil liberals.

13. Schrag4

Schrag4

Oh, I don't think any govt agency is full of patriots, quite the opposite. You make a fair point about Obama being seemingly lazy when it came to pushing anti-gun measures, and an uncertainty about what Biden might do (or his handlers, we all know Biden is out to pasture, already). I just can't see them rounding up a bunch of law-abiding individuals instead of doing what they normally do - announce a decision, give a protest period, and allow people to turn them over voluntarily. It makes no sense to turn a bunch of tax-payers into costly inmates for no reason.