ateamer stretching routine

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Apr 9, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD

Hey ateamer.

A while back, in a thread perhaps in GNG, you mentioned that you drastically improved your squat flexibility using dynamic stretching before workouts. I'm interested in trying this. If you don't mind sharing, exactly what do you do before your workouts? Do you stretch after the workout also? How 'bout on other days? Do you do static stretching at times other than before your workouts?

Info would be greatly appreciated.
    DBD

2. DBradD

DBradD

Of course if anybody else has a pet stretching routine, I'm all ears, err, eyes, I mean...

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Hmmm, pet stretching routine?

I get my black Lab all nice and limber before we go out running. Just the basics though. Dogs have those bad hips ya know.

I haven't seen ateamer here for a while. Hope everything is ok.

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Everything is good here, just haven't had much to say about training.

The dynamic stretching I do starts with swings. I take a five-pound dumbbell or plate in each hand and swing them from arms being straight down to straight overhead, for 15 reps. Next, the same weight, done with arms swinging from straight down at the pockets to overhead (laterals). Sometimes, I'll take a dumbbell and do kettlebell-type swings from the floor to overhead, finishing on my toes with the weight extended overhead.

For legs and hips, I do bouncing free squats. Just drop into a squat and bounce a lot. I'll also step over a low bench a few times, or jump over it.

Nothing scientific, it just works for me.

5. DBradD

DBradD

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

ateamer,

Nice to hear from you. I now next to nothing, no, nothing about stretching, but that just sounds like warming-up. Is this yur invention or is there somewhere I can read about this type of thing?

Not arguuing, just curious.

Thanks,
    Jack

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I'd heard a bit about ballistic stretching being better, especially preworkout. Ballisitic stretching prepares the connective tissue for work. If I am remembering correctly, a muscle tear will heal in six weeks or less. A torn ligament or tendon will not heal without surgery, or at the least will take months and months. So safety is one reason. Ballistic stretching also trains the stretch reflex, which will make you faster, especially out of the hole.

The warmup I do is just what I came up with over time. I can't afford to buy all the DVDs and books on the latest 20-minute warmup routine, or to learn how to stretch. I've seen some articles, but really have never paid much attention to flexibility.

That may explain why I am so tight, but it's largely genetic. Back when I played football, I was stretching every day, and could put my head between my knees with legs straight. If I'd miss a couple days of stretching, I could only come within about two or three inches of the knees. It was the same with running - miss two runs and it would take four to catch back up. If I miss two heavy workouts, it doesn't take much at all to get back on track.

So I guess I am not really the guy to ask about stretching. I can tell you that ballistic stretching has worked for me, and I seem to feel healthier and more loose when doing some good bounce stretching, as opposed to static stretches.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Can you give a better idea of how much of the bouncing you do? Are we talking 5 reps, 15 reps like your plate swings, 50 reps, 10 minutes worth?

I assume you then start with light squats (like what, 405 for you, LOL?) ramping up over a few sets?

Do you do anything post workout or at other times?

One thing that happened a lot when I was doing CF was that I got tighter and tighter as time went on, had back spasms, etc. I think post workout static stretching might help this, but I'd be curious to know what you think of the idea.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Bounce squats are done with no weight. I just fold my hands across the chest and drop down, trying to move as fast as possible, not paying much attention to form and trying to get loose.

For warmups, I start with the empty bar and work up a wheel at a time to 495 (five plates). The warmup is: 45x12, 135x8, 225x4, 315x3, 405x1, 495x1. I put on a belt at 495, sometimes with more depending on how things feel and how heavy I am going. If going heavy, I want to save more for the hardest reps.

I think static stretching at the end of a workout and on off days is a great idea. I should start doing that again.

10. DBradD

DBradD

Thanks again. I'm gonna try some of this stuff.

Man, that's a lot of weight!

I remember in the old days, I'd go 45,135,225,315,365,405 as I ramped up, but I spent most of my time in the 400s because that's as far as I could go! That wouldn't have been bad if I was 132 instead of 181! :rofl: :rofl:

11. California Jack

ateamer,

Thanks for the response. Do you do any general warmup before the ballistic stretching.... Any rope jumping or stationary biking?

Jack

12. California Jack

Get there again and I'll bet your the strongest 181 pounder in the CE department!