close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R

If this is known as a common business practice of this company why do any good employees stay? If the employee has enough value take it to somewhere else.

I always keep my eye's open for a better opportunity for me and my family. My loyalty is to my family. My employer pays me for the work I perform and value I bring to them. They need something done and I do it because they pay me to do it. When they no longer need it or think they would be better off with someone else they will stop paying me and I will stop doing it. :cool:

2. Roger1079

Roger1079

Where the heck does this entitlement mindset so many people seem to have come from?

Do you know what my employer owes me? A paycheck for doing my job weekly to the best of my ability, vacation and sick time as per company guidlines, and the subsidized insurance package that was a condition of my employment that I pay for weekly out of my check. Beyond that, my employer OWES ME NOTHING. My employment is a PRIVELEDGE and certainly not a RIGHT, and I can tell you this with certainty: If I ever fail to accomplish my job to their satisfaction and I fail to continue to be an asset to my employer, they can and will let me go maybe with notice, most likely without. They are a business, not a charity. Only the government is in the business of giving lazy and useless people money they didn't earn.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

3. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

And therein lies a point to be made...

Those who believe that an employer has some obligation to them beyond paying for work performed, plus any vacation time, medical insurance, or other benefits agreed upon at time of hire:

You always have the option of negotiating a formal contract with the employer up front stating exactly what is expected by both parties.

My employment is done this way for each project I work.
    Has been for almost 30 years now. Works well for me.
    Usually, the contract states that the arrangement can be ended at any time by either party for any reason.

In this way, I know up front the terms and conditions of my employment. I know up front that if I am rendering the value my employer needs then I have "a job" (for the duration at least) and I will be paid for the work I've performed.

If at any time my employer feels that I am not providing them with the value they expected, they will end the agreement and find someone who can give them what they want.
    And yes, it has happened that way, more than once.

This has worked well for me my entire working life, with no angst over whether we really, truly love each other or whether they will respect me in the morning.

4. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Did you even read what I was responding to before you posted your ridiculous and irrelevant "demand a raise from yourself" nonsense? My post was to add to a response to the statement, "the working class spend more time at work than at home".

5. Brucev

Brucev

"Should..." is you opinion only. Very happily, what what a company is permitted to do, and what it is prohibited from doing is entirely determined law. And... if 11/6 is any indicator, employers are in for a bumpy ride. Tough. They earned it. They have every right to it. And nobody is going to take it away from them. Fasten your seatbelts.

6. Brucev

Brucev

The above is of course the rambling of one who is not looking at a pink slip... who has not been lied to by his employer. Or, it reflects the blind rote repetition of a mythology to which one clings in the face of reality.

As to the govt., it routinely employes all sorts of people, some who earn their pay and some of them who are just simply lazy people sucking on the fed. tit. You find them in all sorts of places... administration, regulation, military, law enforcement, etc. They're everywhere! They're everywhere!

7. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

And how would you expect "employers in for a bumpy ride" to benefit present or potential employees?

8. Roger1079

Roger1079

So say you own a business, which judging by the demeanor of your posts, I am sure you don't. You sound more like a disgruntled ex-employee than anything else.

That aside, Mr. Employer, say you have a useless employee that is lazy and causes problems. You honestly feel that you should not have the right to fire this employee outright with no notice or reason given? You should be forced to keep the useless rather than freeing up the space for someone worthy of the opportunity you have to offer?

9. Roger1079

Roger1079

I have a feeling this post will either get no response from Brucev or something completely illogical and ridiculous that supports his skewed perception of employee entitlement.

10. kat1950

kat1950

Like I said from day 1 they know me, including my attitude towards their responsibilities for their job and the policies of MY company, so we do not have people making suggestions that they know is against my policy, we have a very tight team all on the same wave length and working together.

Oh by the way it took many years for me to achieve this goal, and only possible after firing all the whiners, dissidents, including all the people with inferiority complexes against authority and the wealth that accompanies it.

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

And the opinion of anyone interested in liberty and a free market. I realize both of these run contrary to your political objectives.

Your Marxist revolution is well underway, Bruce. Celebrate!

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

And there folks is the absolute reality, from someone who has been there and done it.

Take away his freedom to hire and fire as he sees fit and he will have less employment opportunity to offer to employees.
    Leave him to run his business as he will and he prospers, spreading prosperity in his wake, to the benefit of others.

Anyone who does not understand that this is the foundation on which this nation was built needs a history lesson.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

And what Bruce doesnt understand with his coming "regulation" employers are not stupid. When they see a train wreck coming, they will axe employees early on to make sure the dead weight is gone. More over, since they are panicked, they will cut a little more fat than required just to be safe. It will actually hurt employees more than help them.

I am three days away from deciding whether to close shop in USA and get rid of USA employees due to the coming costs of Obama care and fiscal cliff after the election. I hope I dont have to do it, but it may come to that.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It would be nice if you could just fire the employees who voted for Obama.

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

The truth is -

If you really hurt the organizations that employ people -

Tax them - burden them with regulations - whatever - it does not matter why you hurt them - even if it is with good intentions -

They will be less likely to hire people - more likely to lay people off

Less likely to invest in --

new plant and equipment
    training
    technology
    R&D

What many folks seem to think it is some zero sum game - where you can just divide up the pie -

Hurting business shrinks the pie - the folks that lose the most - get even smaller bites of the remaining pie - are the employees.

Just ask - how many employees does a company that is shrinking add to the payroll?

How big of a raise do the employees get when business is cutting back and shrinking?

Why do you want policies that hurt the employees?

Do you hate the owners so much that hurting them is worth higher unemployment & lower wages for the employees?

16. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

:perfect10:

17. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Teachers...

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Shall I explain how this works???

So Mr Bruce wants to be the capitalist who shoves his prices down peoples throats yet when it comes time for him to buy, screw'em.

It seems we have found greedy one in our midst that just want to steal hard earned money from the little guy and then tries to steal money from the little guy running a shop. :dunno:

I had envisioned Bruce to be much different and actually walked the walk, but alas he has let me down. My world is crushed.

19. guns54

guns54 toni

Its on its way. Have a nice day.

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Can I give you wire details to my Swiss bank account instead? And just how much do you think I am joking about the Swiss bank account?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine