close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Slug71

Slug71

Me?..

2. Slug71

Slug71

How do you get that having to give a warning is the same as having to deal with a union?

People start slacking over time. Catch it when the problem starts and give a warning before it gets to the point where you've had enough.

3. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Some HR departments wanna give people 5 and 6 more chances. Sis is manager at a chain store and pretty much fired a girl for being lazy and not working. She called her manager told him what was what and he said ohh call HR. They wanted her to call her back in and unfire her and all this crap.......she told em if they wanted her to work there then they could come in and put up with her crap.

She never did come back.

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

Since when is "should" the same as "let's make a law requiring people to behave a certain way"?

I guarantee that your manager works more hours than you do. The idea of a "working class" is nothing but classist crap.

I worked from 6am Friday to 1am Saturday last week. Yes, I work behind a desk primarily. But I still average 70 hours. I don't even get overtime. When's the last time you worked a 70 hour week?

The economy is driven by both capital and labor. To say it's driven by "us" is stupid. Neither can exist without the other.

And when you run a business, you can make that choice. You don't get to try and legislate that choice onto others.

5. Slug71

Slug71

Absolutely positively did not!

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

Articulate, mature response.

I don't necessarily mean the manager that you directly reported to. A loss-prevention officer's manager isn't very high up the chain. I don't know how your company's org chart looks, but I'd bet that not much higher up than you is a district manager or a regional manager who works his *** off.

7. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Yes, works his *** off at being the man, at keeping the working man down, at sacrificing people for profits!!!!!!!! Effin management d-bags, the whole place would run better without them. This whole damn place is all about ME, not some stupid shareholder or owner!

:supergrin:

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Go back and read what I said about drama and using too much management time. Think about it. Then read this your reply and see how it fits into what i said.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Devans0

Devans0

I worked at a company that required ten years to get a partial vesting for retirement. It wasn't an at will state but it was remarkable how many employees were great employees until 9 1/2 years passed, then suddenly became "problem employees" that were fired.
    I was looking for other employment at 9 1/2 years and asked the bosses for glowing recommendations, to help me find a new job. A new job didn't come, but the documentation helped when the hatchet was aimed in my direction.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  10. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Kat1950

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Slug71, reading just a small part of what you've posted - you must be the only person in the world who is surprised you got fired. Getting rid of employees like you is exactly why employers need at will employment. If you are coming to the table with no unique or valuable skills and expecting a pay check, don't be surprised when people expect you to, at least, do your job right. If not, you are easily replaced.

Guess what, it's also to the advantage of good employees - now your space is open for somebody who won't cause problems and break rules, so the employer can get his money's worth.

12. Roger1079

Roger1079

You FEEL you were wronged. I bet your management will beg to differ with your opinion. Managers normally do not take kindly to employees circumventing the chain of command. If you had a legitimate reason for going above your managers head you would likely still have your job. And before you say anything, I AM speaking from personal experience.

The parking thing can also be seen as insubordination and was possibly just the icing on the cake.

13. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I work 12 hours a day, Monday through Friday, Saturday mornings, Sunday afternoons, and some nights too. No employee even comes close to putting in my hours.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Let me ask a simple question. Since you were in LP you probably had access to security video of the parking lot. Did you take a pro-active approach and help management out by retrieving video of the suspected sex incident in the parking lot to see if it even happened? Were you proactive in helping management?

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Who is this "working class"?

The economy is driven by small businessmen and women taking a risk by pledging their assets to start a business. Folks like you just show up after the house is built.

16. Brucev

Brucev

You work for yourself. You don't like the hours, etc., tell yourself your quitting. Go to work somewhere else. You can even tell yourself what you demand in order for you to keep working for yourself. Why... you can ultimately cave in and give yourself a raise, better working conditions, etc. It's all up to you.

Those who are employed by a company have every right to act in their own best interest and to do so even if it gets up the nose of the employer. Those who are employed by a company have every right to use the legislative process to force employers to swallow work place rules and regulations that advantage the employee... even if it gives the employer a sore throat. Because employers do exactly the same thing. They do their best to buy legislators who will give them what they want... unrestrained power to do as they please in dealing with employees.

17. Brucev

Brucev

You must not say such things. It upsets people who want to pretend that employers are only looking for quality employees. You must not say such things. Allow those folks to cling to their illusions. The truth is to inconvenient.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

And the company should have every right to fire them at any time for any reason.

19. engineer151515

engineer151515

Here's a truth.

Without a contract, you are not entitled to a job.

There ya go.

20. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

the only thing your employer "owes" you is payment for the work you've done