close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Halojumper

Halojumper

Okay, perhaps I misread what you were saying. It can be hard to determine actual emotions from the typed word, and it seemed to me that you were somewhat embittered over this whole thing and trying to make life fair.

ETA: LOL Just realized I mistook you for the OP. Ignore what I said :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

And there you go. It happens. So what? What are you going to do about it? What CAN you do about? Sue for your job back? Pffft. What kind of happy work environment would that lead to?

You can take the philosophical approach, and believe that fate/the Gods have deemed that they want you elsewhere, doing something else. Or, you can take the practical approach, which is "Well, damn. On to something else, then...", and take what you've learned to some other place.

Bottom line, you're part of a larger problem, which is when you run into trouble, you've turned to other sources to remedy them, when in fact the best solution is to first land suitable employment, then get damned good at not getting fired. When I say you've turned to other sources, you questioned the fairness of laws governing employment, implying that changes are needed. I disagree. If you've been wronged legally, by all means seek reproach. But if you've been fired under the rights of employers as they exist, then you move on to other things. You have no reason to believe that you are under any protections from getting screwed.

It's the right thing to do, and you'll be proud of yourself for doing it.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

There is a reason that the phrase "employee mentality" is an insult.

This thread demonstrates it quite well.

Bunch of entitled drones with inflated self worth here spouting off.

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

You bring up a very good point and one that is often overlooked when career advice comes up in life.

If someone isn't going the self-employed route, perhaps the best piece of career advice a person can be given is to think like the owner. Treat the business as though it is yours. I've never really thought of it until now but its something I've always done....even as a youngster doing scutwork. It is very difficult at times but it will take you far.

5. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Very good advice.

I had this outlook from a young age and owned my own business for over a decade after years of management jobs. I will NEVER be one of those turds with an employee POV. That is why I am a highly valued employee.

6. AWoods

AWoods

We definitely should not have to pay employees to provide a service we don't want them to provide.

It's 100% pure violent aggression through and through. Even the mafia doesn't make you employ people you don't want.

7. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Most people are vested in their pensions after 10 years (assuming they get one at all). That last day of work doesn't make a bit of difference in their pension eligibility unless they haven't reached 10 years yet.

Police/Fire/Military? They have a specific must reach date, but they also get their pensions as soon as they retire. I won't get mine until I'm 65.

8. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

You must be referring to a pension which many company's are going away from. It's all about the portable 401k now, and if they fire me a week before retirement it has 0 impact on my financial well being.

9. CAcop

CAcop

Yes, they do. It is one of their scams.

10. CAcop

CAcop

Good point. I know a few people in the laborer's union and they have a pension that requires a certain mumber of years to get vested that is lower much lower than the number of years/age to retire with full benefits. If they got fired they would just have to wait it out, a long time but they just need to wait it out. Of course one I know gets fired all the time but she still finds work because she is good at what she does.

11. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Move to Texas, son. That's what we have here. If you part your hair on the wrong side, you get fired. Like life, it's not fair, but you suck it up and deal with it.

12. Slug71

Slug71

Thats how it is here in Oregon.

13. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

You're no longer an asset is a common reason.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I don't understand.

Are you a prisoner, slave, or indentured servant? If not, what is preventing you from leaving a bad situation?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

After reading this is it clear why they got rid of you. Drama.

If they tell you to park where all employees are supposed to park. Why make a big deal about it?

So what if you are peeved that some girl wants you to come to her instead of vice versa. You don't agree and escalate it.

You leave out the shopping lifting thing now.

People knocking on door and running. Seems like a silly game.

But these types of episodes would tell me "how much management time (ergo money) on this person. For them it was easy. You were using more management resources than you were worth to them.

Sorry to be so blunt.

16. guns54

guns54 toni

There doing back here, and with out any reason, Most have 20 years or more. And its not that they did some thing wrong, Just Telling them there done.I think they want all part time,Saves them money, Iam talking about steubenville, ohio.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

What's not to "agree" with? Employers have the right to fire and employees have the right to quit.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

And what's wrong with that?

Employers pay employees to work. Employees get paid in such a way to maximize value for the company. Jobs are not charity. If it's cheaper for an employer to pay two part-time employees than to have a full-time employee with benefits, then that's what the employer will do.

If one of those employees wants to have a full-time job rather than a part-time job, then they need to demonstrate to the employer that they generate more value by being full-time than the additional cost of providing benefits. It's harder to do with some kinds of jobs than with others, but that's how the world works.

When jobs are more plentiful than employees, potential employees can use their scarcity power to negotiate a better deal. When potential employees are more plentiful than jobs, the power balance goes the other way.

19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

For those of you who have never had a European employment contract you would be shocked at them.

In general the labor unions are strong enough that they passed worker protection laws. The flip side is that there are also employer protection laws.

In Germany your notice period is generally between 3 months and 2 years (company financial problems void this). But it is a two way notice. As an employer, if I want to fire you I must give you three months notice. Note that I do not have to give you any time off to look for another job, etc, and if I can show any malice on your part during the 3months I can immediately terminate. I can also pay you out if you agree. Now, what I get from this is if you decide to leave, you must give me 3 months notice. If you do not give this notice I can hire a temporary employee to replace you (most likely a consultant which is expensive since getting an employee immediately is hard). You are then responsible, and the courts enforce, that you must pay the difference between your previous salary and any costs I have to replace you for the notice period.

So how many of you against employment at will want to have a system like this?

20. guns54

guns54 toni

Your right, But they should give them a warning that there job is gone.