Glock Talk banner

At which distance do you zero your 9mm? 10 yard zero?

93K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  9x45 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Text Scoreboard Font Number
Text Font Scoreboard Number Screenshot
Text Font Scoreboard Number Colorfulness
Text Scoreboard Font Number
Text Font Scoreboard Number Screenshot

I have two Glock MOS pistols: 19 and 34. One has the Trijicon RMR and the other the Vortex Venom.

Both are zeroed for me at 25 yards.

However, I just plugged in the data through one of my ballistic apps, iSnipe. I found that at a 10-yard-zero, the point of impact is +2.5 inches at 50 yards and -2.7 inches at 100 yards. My own experience is that at a 25-yard zero, it drops about an inch at 50 but 9 inches at 100 yards. When I ran it in the app, it was pretty much where I tested it to be. When zeroed at 15 yards, the calculation came to be a drop of half an inch at 50 yards and almost 3 inches at 100.

Seems like a 10 yard zero is the most optimal distance for zeroing a sight for a 9mm.

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 319196 View attachment 319197 View attachment 319198 View attachment 319196 View attachment 319197 I hate two Glock MOS pistols : 19 and 34. One has the Trijicon RMR and the other the Vortex Venom.

However, I just plugged in the data through one of my ballistic apps, iSnipe. I found that at a 10 yard zero, the point of impact is +2.5 inches at 50 yards and -2.7 inches at 100 yards. My own experience is that at a 25 yard zero, it drops about an inch at 50 but 9 inches at 100 yards. When I ran it in the app, it was pretty much where I tested it to be. When zeroed at 15 yards, he calculation came to be a drop of a half an inch at 50 yards and almost 3 inches at 100.

Seems like a 10 yard zero is the most optimal distance for zeroing a sight for a 9mm.
Bottom of an 8 inch plate at 12 yards to hit 4 inches higher is perfect for me.

#6 ·
I can shoot easily out to 50 yards, using my Reflex sights. I also believe in pushing my abilities. That's just how I do it. A friend and colleague of mine pushes me out to further and further distances.

I am also working to push myself to hit 100 yards for hunting purposes with larger caliber magnums.

#5 ·
Majority of mine are POA @ 25 yards for competition for IDPA, Steel, etc. for a 147 grain bullet.

wp

#11 ·
Majority of mine are POA @ 25 yards for competition for IDPA, Steel, etc. for a 147 grain bullet.wp
Mine, too. For the same reason. Even with the occasional 50yd max IDPA shot, it's trigger control that makes the difference there. Plus past 25-30 yds, you're approaching the limit to a lot (not all, of course) of handgun's inherent accuracy.

Reactions: willie_pete
#8 ·
I zero my 9mm SW CORE at 15-yds dead on. Don't know why, I just did.

As far as challenging myself with a longer 9mm pistol shot, I'd break out my P210 Legend.
What distances are available to you to shoot? I don't think it hurts to be shooting further and further out. Honestly, up to 10 yards was all I practiced before.

When I take people to my club, the most they practice are 7-10 yards. My personal steel targets are allowed only at 25 yards minimum.

#13 ·
20 yards. That's in the context of practical competition with minor power and carry guns.

You have to think about when you're going to need the sights. I can shoot alphas fine on 10 yard open paper with no sights on the gun at all. Why would I be concerned if my gun prints 1 inch high at that distance?

But for a 20 yard head or a 30 yard USP, I have to really use the sights.

Irons have the ability to deliver an incredible amount of information, but you have to set them up right. Not everyone has the same needs, but everyone should think carefully about what their needs are.

#16 ·
Both my G23(3) and G19(4) have no adjustment for elevation.

That said, I shoot enough (read a LOT) and know where to hold for distances. Windage is constant throughout, so "zero" is not really pertinent to my handgun needs.

#19 ·
View attachment 319196 View attachment 319197 View attachment 319198 View attachment 319196 View attachment 319197 I hate two Glock MOS pistols : 19 and 34. One has the Trijicon RMR and the other the Vortex Venom.

However, I just plugged in the data through one of my ballistic apps, iSnipe. I found that at a 10 yard zero, the point of impact is +2.5 inches at 50 yards and -2.7 inches at 100 yards. My own experience is that at a 25 yard zero, it drops about an inch at 50 but 9 inches at 100 yards. When I ran it in the app, it was pretty much where I tested it to be. When zeroed at 15 yards, he calculation came to be a drop of a half an inch at 50 yards and almost 3 inches at 100.

10 yard "zero?"

LOL

The proper distance to "zero" any pistol is 25 yards for combat; 50 yards if you are shooting bullseye.

#20 ·
40 yard zero, than anything inside of 40 back to zero will be no more than the offset from the bore axis to the sights. For a dot, same deal, you can zero at dot at 10 yards, but it will be way off, even at 25 yards. 95% of all shots in USPSA are within 3-15 yards anyway. There actually is no "proper" zero for any pistol, it's only important that you where the POI will be at what distance you are shooting. My TC Contender in .35REM is zeroed at 25/150 yards. So if I have a shot at 75 yards, it will print about 8" high, and at 190 yards, about 8" low so I have to compensate for the hold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.