At what point do we loose our constitutional rights during a crime?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by flw, Feb 13, 2013.

1. flw

flw

Note: this post is about our constutional rights and when they are lost. It is not about "Christopher Jordan Dorner".

With the current disaster of the "Christopher Jordan Dorner"case, I was wondering at what point, in commission of a crime, do we loose our constitutional rights and who makes the escalation approval, when shoot to kill is issued? Local/State/Federal/or all of the preceding.

Second is, was a "proportional response" used prior to the tear gas/fire? i.e. You bring a verbal attack. I bring out a knife, you bring our a gun, I bring out a tank... Isn't the "good guy", suppose to stop at some point? Also, why do so many of these types of crimes end in the building catching on fire?

As a example:
    If true, the BBC reported last night (2-12-13) that L.E. fired tear gas, then a fire began inside and a single shot was fired from inside. Then two bull dozers moved in and pealed the house apart "like a Onion".

Was this a proportional response? If not, was it murder? If not, what was it?

2. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

try to flush him out and he kills himself? Sounds good to me. You lose your right when youre murdering people. olice can stop you before you do any more. Its not like he came out with hands up and was hit surrendering, he was engaged in a fight.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

3. ray9898

ray9898

LE generally has additional justified uses of force under the law.

For example, in GA everyone can legally use deadly force in defense of them self and others from a threat of death or great bodily harm, to stop the commission of a forcible felony or in defense of habitation.

LE has an additional exemption that we may use deadly force to apprehend a suspected forcible felon who is known to be armed and a danger to the public.

Basically, lets say I respond to an armed robbery where the clerk was just shot and I locate the suspect. I am justified in shooting that felon to apprehend him as long as I can show it was reasonable given the crime he committed, the fact he was armed and his actions proved he was a continued danger to the officer and public. He does not have to threaten me directly.

4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

At no time does anyone lose his or her constitutional rights. No matter what kind of crime is being committed, the accused still retains his or her constitutional rights.

5. flw

flw

Keep in mind that L.E. did not and still does not (as of this morning) know who was in that house. It may or may not have been who they were looking for.

Do we loose rights without even being identified as the person they want?

6. LEOson

LEOson

And you should keep in mind the cops have their own rights to defend themselves. The guy was actively engaged in a firefight for close to an hour. He was clearly dangerous and they were completely and totally justified in doing what they did. It doesn't matter if he was/is Chris Dorner. He shot and killed a cop and wounded another. Then continued to shoot. How the **** is that not justified use of force for the cops to respond in turn with gunfire?

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Upon conviction in a court of peers. It's covered already. No matter the evidence presented in the court of public opinion, it matters not, it's the court of law and judicial action that determine the loss of ones rights upon conviction. That, no matter how much you like it, is how our nation was founded and is supposed to be run.

8. flw

flw

As of this morning ,it was not clear if the person in the house was the same person that was involved in the shooting earlier that day.

So when there is a unidentified person in that house, is it ok to assume it the "right" person?

9. HarlDane

HarlDane

Whoever was in the house was given numerous warnings to come out and had ample time to surrender. They chose not to and instead engaged the officers in a fire fight.

At that point did it really matter if it was the guy they were originally looking for or another criminal looking to shoot it up with the cops?

10. LEOson

LEOson

I don't know how much more clear I need to be. He was being chased by cops. He shoots at them. They shoot back, causing them to chase him to this cabin. They observe him go in. At which point, a massive firefight breaks out with results in one dead deputy and one seriously injured. Gimme a ****ing break. He was the guy they were after because they SAW him go in the cabin and he ****ing shot two cops. Open and shut case. Let him ****ing rot there.

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  12. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Fish much?

The guy killed 4 people and wounded 2 others. At what point would it be ok with you that LE use deadly force? LE doesn't shoot to kill, we shoot to stop the threat. A suspect's rights (including a right to life) don't end simply because we don't like him. If the shooter surrendered, I have to doubt the deputies would have taken him into custody and not shot and killed him because of some "order." We're professionals like that.

Second, LE doesn't have to wait until they get punched to use physical force on someone. They can initiate the physical force if the officer can articulate that the person was acting in an aggressive manner and the officer thought a physical altercation with himself or a third party was imminent. That standard applies all the way up the force continuum. If the deputies launched tear gas or whatever it was into the house to attempt to force him out knowing that a fire was a potential outcome, so what? Even if they chose starting a fire in the house as the way to employ deadly force without putting any more innocent lives in danger, so what? The deputies were actively taking fire from the house on and off. It seems to me deadly force would still be applicable.

Even if the subject wasn't Dorner, if you pile up the charges just from yesterday, you've got 1 count of homicide, 2 counts of kidnapping, 1 or 2 counts of burglary, 1 count of robbery, 2 counts of theft of a means of transportation, and a minimum of 4 counts of aggravated assault. Is that violent enough a felon for you?

13. LEOson

LEOson

Well said. I may be a bit more touchy about this subject than most, but...well my username probably gives it away.

14. Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

During the actual time that a criminal is activly threatening "death or grave bodily harm to the innocent" as part of whatever criminal activity he is indulging in, he effectively has NO Rights whatsoever .

The over-riding concern is to reduce him to a status whereby he is no longer threatening "death or grave bodily harm to the innocent".

If in so removing the threat he reprents, he happens to die as a result, Tough Sierra Hotel India Tango.

Removing the threat he represents is the overriding, the only, thing that need concern us.

If he surrenders and is thus no longer a threat, his "rights" go back to what they were before he offered the threat he offered.

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Yes it is.

16. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

:puking:

He's a criminal and died a criminal's death. Let's not get all academic about this.

Where's Ron Paul and his Paulbots when you need them? Live by the gun, die by the gun...

17. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Soo whomever was shooting at them with automatic weapons , killing one deputy and injuring another, lost their right to give up?
    Is this what you are saying?

From what I understand numerous requests were made for him to lay down weapons and come out with raised hands..

Are you saying they forced him to stay inside with some type of mind control? Thus keeping him from using his free will?

FASCINATING!

18. ray9898

ray9898

Two points:

• They don't have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt. There was plenty enough to for them to be reasonably certain and that is what the law requires their actions to be, reasonable.
    • The person inside that house murdered an officer and shot at other officers who were surrounding the cabin after he fled there. Even if it was not Dorner they were justified in acting the way they did.

19. Leigh

Leigh

Yep, pretty much sums it up....

20. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Yeah, the identity of the person inside the house who shot from the house, that killed and wounded the LEOs, is secondary.