close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

At what acct. balance does a bank value your business?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Jan 12, 2018.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Do banks loose lose money on small private accounts?

-Middle school kid's $700 savings account?

-Free student checking account with a $1,500. avg. balance?

-Laborer who has his $1200 paycheck direct deposited.. but balance never seems to pass a 1,500-2,000. balance.

2. DonD

DonD

If it is a conventional bank, I'd say the don't care until you have serious $ with them, probably north of $500K.

If it's a credit union, I don't think they care at all, all are members and in my experience they won't cut you a deal on CD interest rates no matter how much you have with them. Don

3. KBKEITH

KBKEITH aka The Wolf Silver Member

4. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Get your mortgage there.

They will love you.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  5. elsolo

elsolo

The "free checking" account I had for decades became a fee based acct unless you kept $10k in it. That seems to be the limit that bank has. My credit union is $25, that is their limit.

Jack Ryan, Glockworks and janice6 like this.
  6. Adjuster

Adjuster

Its got to be in the million range. Anything less is chump change and not worth their effort. But from what I understand they make all the money off the small timers the fees and late charges type of crap.

/

Altaris and janice6 like this.
  7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Banks make money on $700 savings accounts because the overhead for the account is minimal and they can lend that $700 out at 10X or more what they pay in interest.

As far as valuing your business, I'm not sure what difference that makes. Obviously they value a million dollar deposit more than $700 but from a practical standpoint, so what? If you want to borrow a bunch of money from them, your earnings, cash flow, credit rating means more to them than your savings account balance at that bank.

If you are looking for a bunch of interest look elsewhere than a bank. Yes, there are a lot of banks where you can get a percent or percent and a half interest on your account if you go paperless + have a direct deposit + use their debit card for 10 pin transactions a month but even there they set a maximum of $10,000 or $15,000 deposit balance on which they pay the decent interest rate.

Dave514 likes this.
  8. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

So you are saying they may sent me a box of cookies at Christmas or just a card with glitter snowflakes?

9. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

Pay it off in 7 years. Ask for another one. No more love.

Jack Ryan and Dave514 like this.
  10. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I have four banks within spitting distance that will give me a free checking account with no minimum balance and no fee except paying for the checks, which isn't an issue since I use about 4 checks a year. And all of them have free on-line bill pay.

Jack Ryan and Caver 60 like this.
  11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    My bank values me because I flirt with the chicks and the gay dude if he is around....

12. SARG

SARG

All our local banks pay .0124% interest .... that's $12. per year on every $100k you let them use.
    The internet (brick-less ) banks are paying 1.55% or $1550. for the same $100k

DonD likes this.
  13. joeG26er

joeG26er Millennium Member

I started getting called by name by the credit union manager once I hit a certain balance. It wasn't over 500k but it was not under 50k

14. fjrdc

fjrdc

I have not done business with a bank in over 20+ years . Credit unions are the ONLY way to handle money.

15. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I once had $123,896.08 in a checking account and I never got the red carpet treatment. They didn't know me from Adam's house cat.

Jack Ryan and nursetim like this.
  16. Bruce M

Bruce M

I think it may depend on the bank and on the branch and even the individual employee. A couple years back I needed to do a few things with my Dad's accounts. One was in a bank named Citizen's Bank. He had a few thousand dollars in a checking account there. They offered me use of a fax machine, phone, said they would be glad to help me reconcile the account or balance it themselves if I wished. The other bank he actually had more money in and if they could I am sure they would have slammed my hand in the door a few times.

My bank for the most part could not care less if they never saw me again. But a few individual employees there have been very nice and helpful. A couple of times tellers who I had only dealt with once or twice thanked me for being a customer there for three plus decades.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

My bank seems to like 10 Grand or more.

18. DonD

DonD

Normally I'd agree with you but last time I looked, Ally Bank had the highest rates of anyone on Bankrate.com with 2% for a 1yr CD. No credit union matched that. Don

PattonT likes this.
  19. J. Gambolputty

J. Gambolputty

20. Jon_R

Jon_R

I think the accounts with little money in them are the accounts most likely to take 20 bucks out of the atm and pay a 4 dollar fee to do so. Banks can make some good money off of them. Then sell them some sort of over draft protrction or credit protection etc... plenty of ways to make money off people that aren’t whales.