close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AT&T U-Verse now available at my location.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Blaster, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Since the beginning of time Cox Communications has been the only hard line connection in my neighborhood. Now AT&T U-Verse is available.

I see that U-Verse has a bunch of different channels that I can't get from Cox including The Outdoor Channel.

I bundled my Cable, Internet and Telephone with Cox. The only service of the three I have been happy with is the cable Internet which is quite fast. The phone goes out during power outages. My neighbors never loose their AT&T phone service. For a while I had two hard lines, one Cox and one AT&T (paid for by work) and Cox would be dead and AT&T worked fine. The HD channels on the tv can get funky looking occasionally. I get that digital pixel tiling. One of the techs that came out to check out my connection said that Cox can't handle the load when lots of people are watching the same channel.

My only concern is the bandwidth on the AT&T internet service. Back when I opted for a cable modem AT&T told me that I was on the fringe for DSL (distance from Central Office) and my service would be on the slower end. I hope that the infrastructure improvements that now enables U-Verse has addressed the Internet bandwidth.

It just may be time to switch providers. I sure would like to see some of those shooting programs on the Outdoor Channel.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. michael e

michael e

I have AT&T, there CS is horrible. I signed up in a local store, I had everything in writing that I was told. Get the first pill and it's wrong, not a few bucks , over 100 dollars. I call and ask, they say what I was told in the store was wrong and the paper I have with what I will be charged is just a agreement not a contract. It took several hours , faxes , and calls to get them to honor what I was promised from the start. I have told everyone that has asked to stay away from AT&T. My contract is up in 29 days, I will never use them again, if nothing else was offered in my area I would use rabbit ears and a newspaper.

3. imjustron

imjustron

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run as fast as you can away from U-Verse and ATT No customer service!!!!!!!!!!! Nightmares beyond belief. Just my opinion of course...

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I have it.

Costly, but no problems.

Promo rates were great. My honeymoon's over. Now, I'm at about $175 for not a whole lotta nothin'.

5. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Yeah, I hear you loud and clear. I would love an "a la carte" plan where I could pick just the channels I would want to watch. I could do away with 80% of the channels offered.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

FTMFW!!! :dunno:

7. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

My experience with AT&T CS on my (former) aggravating DSL made me leery of using them again for U-Verse .... :frown:

8. JBnTX

JBnTX

U-Verse is great, but expensive. I pay 155.74 a month.

Their customer service is a joke. Call it and you'll get someone reading
    from a checklist.

They're not supposed to tell, but I was able to get a representative to tell me she was in the Philippines.

Every time I've called them, the CS rep had to put me on hold and call
    someone else who knew how to solve my problem.

9. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

Neighbor works for AT&T and I saw a truck in front of his house doing some work so I asked him what was up. They just brought this to our neighborhood and he was the first to get it.

I said so should I jump because I hate Comcast....His response was absolutely not right now. I tried to make sense of their services/pricing and it was a muddled mess. I just do my usual call up to Comcast and threaten to leave to get my yearly decent pricing.

10. mt920

mt920

Go for it!!!!! Great product when compared to the other cable service providers. I've never had a need to contact their CS. Therefore, I can't comment on that....

11. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I had nothing but nightmares from U-Verse. Every day, when the neighbors would start arriving home at the end of their work-days, the internet got slower and slower. TV, internet, and phone would all fail at once, for several minutes at a time, repeatedly.

I am so glad to be back with Time Warner. Wish my wife had never switched to U-Verse.

12. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

The U-Verse internet is a DSL hookup - inherently slower than cable internet.

My old Earthlink DSL, with the same wires that ATT would have used if I had switched to U-Verse, got 1.5 Mbps. My Comcast internet promised me 16 Mbps and routinely tests on speedtest.com at 30 Mbps.

I could not get streaming Netflix on the DSL. It looks good at the highest quality on the cable.

Look before you leap.

13. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That's more or less exactly the opposite of my experiences.

14. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Uverse is supposed to be fiber to the pole then coax into the house. I had it for a while. I had the same deal with being sold one price from their in person reps to getting billed something totally else. At some point they somehow started spelling my last name wrong on everything. 3 separate calls in and they could never figure out how to change a T to a C. Even after they said they made the change on the phone. The internet speeds were ok, but never really good nor what one would expect with fiber (ish).
    I had a ton of pixelation in the hd channels and it was somewhat slow to change channels. Never super impressed.
    The dvr was pretty good, I really liked that I could record on one and watch the recorded programs on any of the smaller cheaper boxes on the other tv.
    The phone is going to be a voip phone just like cox and service will go out just the same. It's not a pots line coming in for voice anymore.
    The support people are pure rubbish. Really really bad.

Cox is waaay better. Internet is actually really quick. Customer service is good. All in all much more pleasant to deal with. It was a happy day changing back!

15. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

It's a little slow tonight:

[​IMG]

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That's awesome. What - do you live ten feet from the cable office. LOL!

My cable sucked like you can't believe - slow generally, slower in the afternoons, off in the rain just like satellite, terrible TV etc. For me U-Verse is better in every way including being less expensive.

17. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

AT&T customer service is TERRIBLE. The people are polite, but the policies are garbage. So's the service, at least here.

In my area, AT&T ships modems with known problems. I finally gave up and bought a modem of my own, and service has been fine since, until this past week. I called in to customer service and was told that since the port statistics looked fine, they weren't going to do any more troubleshooting since they don't support third-party modems unless I wanted to make a twelve month agreement for a $15/month support plan. *head to desk* A few hours later it was better. Turns out, the whole neighborhood was having problems.

That's no way to run an ISP. I know, because I've run one.

Cox was mostly flawless for me for years. The only exception being the two times the service went out for several hours at a time--the traffic was being dropped at their router in Kansas. Each time I called and spoke to someone who claimed there were no issues with their network and absolutely refused to discuss the results I was finding and wanted to blame it on my computer or router. Each time the service started working while I was on the phone with them.

I've not been impressed with customer service for either, but outside of their wireless phone service I can't deal with AT&T without feeling like they have utter contempt for their customers. I will not use them if I have a decent alternative.

18. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I can pretty much agree with the majority of those in this thread. I had an AT&T cell about 5 years ago. Today, it sucks just as hard as it did back then...maybe even worse. On top of that, their customer service is indeed horrible. If your only option is AT&T, run the other way, fast.

19. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

I don't know how far I am - I live in the west side of Metro Atlanta, so it could be anywhere.

As far as monthly cost, I was paying Earthlink $36 and another $32 to support an AT&T land-line that I didn't really use but was required for the DSL. I use my cell for local and long distance. I disconnected the landline. For the first year the Comcast internet is $48. It'll go up to $65 plus taxes after a year. I could save $7 a month if I buy my own cable modem. So I made out pretty well - better service for about the same money.

I had been thinking about making the change for a long time - I was dissatisfied with the DSL for a long time but it takes me forever to get around to doing anything. I attended a BB King concert at Chastain Park and Comcast had a booth there staffed with a pretty blonde lady, so I had a chat with her. She gave me some digits - but not hers, dang! - for a "personal representative" to sign me up. This fella set me up with an incentive for a free 802.11n wireless router and free installation. And I got a free basic TV box (which I didn't really want). I could save $7 a month if I buy my own cable modem. So I made out pretty well - better service for about the same money.

The service I signed up for was 16Mbps, and at first it was only delivering 12. So I called and complained to the customer service and after 2 rounds they must have opened up some sort of throttle. I now normally get 30 Mbps, testing to a server 25 miles away. I just checked Seattle and the ping was longer, which one would expect, but the download speed stayed at 30. If I test with a server from halfway around the world, Sydney Australia, for instance, gave this result which is still 4 times faster than the DSL:
    [​IMG]

Bottom line for me on the cable performance is that neither Netflix, YouTube nor the streaming audio sources I listen to do that annoying rebuffering thing any more. And I can enjoy streaming Netflix via the wireless router at HD resolution.

The only disadvantage of ditching the landline is that with the cell, I didn't have any extension phones in the house, so I had to either carry it with me all the time or chase it when I had an incoming call. So I got a phone system that has 3 extensions and automatically links to the cell by Bluetooth when I come into the house. Here 'tis. The sound quality is not that great unless I park the cell next to the Panasonic base station; then it's just fine.

20. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

When was the last time any of you had an actual company technician install your service?

The reason I ask is because I have yet to see an actual tech from AT&T, Time-Warner, Cox, or any of the other major players. They're all contractors.

I happen to know a couple of those contract "techs" on a personal level. One of these guys got hired on installing DirecTV as a contractor, worked for them for a while, then went to doing it for Time Warner.

He has nearly zero technical knowledge, and his work is just a little sloppy. Granted, it doesn't have a noticeable effect on your service to have a "little bit sloppy" connection, so you might think nothing of it.

Now, imagine someone doing about 200 "little bit sloppy" installations in your neighborhood. Maybe they average about three sloppy connections per home.

Hey! Why can't the network handle the load? The techs go on service calls and they check the incoming lines, and the cables in the house. Visually. Can't see anything wrong.

It's seriously sad. And with the way they pay these "techs", it's no wonder they have no competent personnel. They get paid by the call. "Fix" it quickly, make more money. Take the time to do it right, then you end up working all day to get paid for a single call.

I have a similar set of Panasonic phones. Have used nothing but Panasonic for household cordless phones for years. These things are awesome! I knew I should have gotten the link-to-cell model.

I need to get one. Then I can keep my cell phone, the base, and my signal booster all together while I walk wherever I want with the cordless handset.