AT&T Iphone plans and New Motorola being offered

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SouthernGal, Mar 3, 2010.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

On the AT&T website I noticed they have a new Motorola "Backflip" advertised. I've got an upgrade coming in the next 2 months.

I'm currently on AT&T using 450 minutes with 200 text message pkg. I also have the capability for receiving "photo" messages.

What's the typical rate for moving to an Iphone with all the capabilities for internet? I didn't sign up for it on the old plan because my phone did a crappy job with internet, but with the Iphone, it looks like it might be better. What does the full plan on AT&T with all internet bells and whistles normally run a month?

Has anyone taken a look at the "Backflip" as well?

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

After looking at the Backflip info on AT&T, it looks like a great phone if you are constantly texting, Twitting and Facing'a'book.

I'll also say this: Apple tends to have the best interfaces. They think about it before building it and build the product around the end-use, not the other way around (like MSFT).

3. SouthernGal

I don't do any of that except some texting. I'm usually under my allowed 200 messages per month easily. No "twitting", no FB...none of that junk.

I don't mind paying for the Iphone if it will accomplish what I need for it to--email, some internet browsing, GPS.

4. April

April Lifetime Member

The iPhone data plan is the same price as all the other smartphone data plans so there's not an increased cost to having an iPhone. We moved from Blackberries to iPhones and the bill never changed.

Unlimited data is $30/mo regardless of the smartphone.

5. SouthernGal

What is your honest opinion of the Iphone versus the Blackberry?

6. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Just to throw in another option, I would look at the android devices as well as the iPhone... I believe AT&T has a few offerings running Android.

I currently use the HTC Hero and CellularSouth and love both of them. If you plan to stay with AT&T, I would recommend the iPhone or the Android over the Blackberry. Blackberry's are great if you use it mostly for work and pound out a lot of e-mails. However, their applications are lacking in comparison to the iPhone and the Androids.. They have opened up their application development, but most of the apps are business related. WIth the iPhone and the Android you get a good mixture of business/non-business apps..

Just my $ .02 worth.

7. SouthernGal

The Backflip is an Andriod...that's the only reason I took a look at it on the website. Having never used my phone as anything other than a phone, it's hard to make choices without any opinions from other people.

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/6847/nexus-one-vs-iphone-droid-palm-pre-total-cost-of-ownership/

As you can see, there are differences in data plan costs.

Verizon allows you to test to/from an Email address. (meaning you can use email to send to a Verizon phone at his Text address, and you can use a Verizon phone text to send to an email address).
    Sprint doesn't allow this, only TXT to TXT. I don't know about AT&T.

I have Sprint with a data plan ($15 month -gov break) and no TXT. I use email only (and can email my Verizon friends/business, and they can, using Verizon, TXT to my email).

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I have an iPhone and love it. I couldn't go back to a regular phone after using this.

Oh, and for the record, the iPhone can multitask.

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have been with ATT for many years.I also have a plan with 200 messages and pics. My plan runs 60.99 for 850 minutes and I sometimes check my email but not much because I am cheap. :supergrin: I have found that sometimes the service freezes on occasion. I would call customer relations and see if they will give you a free upgrade to a real nice phone. They can sometimes be very very nice. I have a friend who changed to Boost unlimited because his iphone bill for him and his wife was 260.00 a month. So look around carefully.

11. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

12. SouthernGal

Which phone are you using? Do you have unlimited data?

13. April

April Lifetime Member

I actually prefer the iPhone, it's slightly larger but not enough to make a difference. The big plus to that size is that when browsing or reading email, it's all screen. Some prefer a physical keyboard but learning the on screen landscape keyboard wasn't difficult and worth the trade off on screen size for me.

14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I carry a Razr2 and a V3xx but I am also looking at some of the other phones like the Rugby because of low radiation levels. I don't like the candy bar phones because I always hit the keys and make calls when I don't want to. I mostly use my phone as a phone. I think we have the same data type plan. It is a media plan for 9.99 a month. Ask for freebies and call back a few times if necessary to get what you want.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

A company led by design rather than engineering. The customer experience is paramount.

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Could you please expand on this, I'd like to know how/what (by PM if you'd prefer).

Thanks

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

18. SouthernGal

The V3xx is the same one I'm using. I just didn't think the internet features on it were all that. Too small to be easily used, and S - L - O - W.

I've got about a month before I wheel and deal.

19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

I switched my personal to an Iphone, because I wanted something flexible that I could use to separate consulting stuff from my issued phone (blackberry). I would not go back. My plan with 450 minutes/messaging/unlimited internet is right at $75 a month. There are times that I have my laptop fired up and I'll still go to a site on the Iphone because it's so handy. And spreadsheets and documents are crystal clear on the iphone. They never blow up right on my blackberry. My ipod playlists are on the iphone, I have a dash mount and use it as a nav/gps, and since it plays through my stereo, if I'm holed up in the truck waiting for a call, I'll sometimes watch a movie with the sound played through the vehicle speakers. To recap, I have a blackberry with internet access and an Iphone with internet access. The Iphone runs rings around the blackberry. If all you do is send and receive email, the blackberry is fine. If you need to be able to go long periods with no resource for charging, blackberry's run longer on a single charge.

20. SouthernGal

This is the same plan (that you have) I'm looking into. I just did something with AT&T that will knock about $20 off one bill, and I'll turn around and apply that to my cell bill in another 2 months to help justify the $30 cost of unlimited data on an IPhone.