At home fitness without equipment

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by golls17, Dec 31, 2009.

1. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I used to belong to a gym, but can't afford it anymore. I'm stuck at home days because I watch my daughter while my fiance is at work. I work nights.

I thought about P90X, but don't have the money to buy the DVDs.

I'm tired of just doing push-ups and sit-ups.

Any ideas for at-home exercise with little-to-no equipment? I'd probably end up looking for household items rather than buying weights.

Bonus if you can find a way to make it a game with my daughter (weighs about 13 pounds. I "throw" her up in the air and catch her. She seems to like it, and does a little for the arms, but not much).

I'm trying to become more fitness committed, but on limited resources.

2. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I'm actually doing P90X right now. The best bang for the buck would be a pullup bar. We live in a very typical drywalled house and the "fit in the doorframe" (without screws) pullup bars DO work. Pullups are hard. I hate them. They are making dramatic results.

Do some good circuit training:

Pullups, pushups, situps, combos (squat, shoot out to pushup position, pushup, and back up (add a jump for plyometrics). Do the pushups in groups 1 up to 10 and back down.

Wall sits are killer for legs.

If you have cable, especially Time Warner, look for "Fitness on Demand" there are TONS of free workouts on demand.

If there is space, jump rope.

Keep an eye on ebay or craigs list for P90x DVDs. I'm sure people dump them all the time for cheap.

3. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

see if you can get one of those pull-up bars that attaches to a door jamb.

And begin jogging, running, and/or "speed walking" if your knees will allow it.

-J-

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Add dips, off the bottom rack, er I mean a chair. Great for tricepts.

5. txsteve

txsteve

One legged squats, bulgarian split squats, handstand pushups with hands on books/phonebooks. Feet elevated pushups. Walking lunges. Bridges. A google search for bodyweight conditioning should give you enough options to build plenty of strength and not get bored or get overuse injuries.

6. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

Burpees. Don't know if spelled right? Use descending reps. 10 reps on the first set then 9 reps on the next set all the way down to one. As time time goes on just increase the number of sets. Use good form and add a jump at the end of each rep.

7. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

+1 on the pull up bar (and I also got mine due to P90X). You can get one for pretty cheap, really, and they just hook up on a doorframe and work just fine (no installation or anything).

Chair dips work, variations on push ups work (I'm a fan of T-push ups, varying the width, elevating your feet, whatever), squats work. I might catch some flack for it, but Yoga's a hell of a workout, too, if you do it right (and the only gear you'll need is a little mat).

8. Sgt127

Sgt127

http://www.crossfit.com/ and http://www.undergroundstrengthcoach.com/ Get some ideas.

If you can afford a kettlebell, great. One tool for ALOT of different excersizes. If not, buy a bag of gravel (or concrete if you feel in shape enough) and a roll of duct tape. Wrap the bag up. Carry it around. Lift it over your head. Hold it at arms length. Lay on your back and press it. Do it as many times as you can. Put it in a back pack. Walk for a couple miles. Hold it while doing squats. (Start light and low reps, watch your back) You can always go heavier later.

Get a shovel. Dig the biggest hole you can. Fill it in.

I have found some of the strongest guys I have ever met were working man strong. They spend all day lifting heavy things and moving them around. Watch bricklayers. Ditch diggers. Sheetrockers. Do that. My dad had a job at a refinery when he was a kid. Spent 8 hours a day picking up two lead ingots that weighed about 40 pounds apiece off a converyor belt and carried them to a pallet for an entire summer. Said he was never stronger in his life.

9. BradD

BradD

10. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

11. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

12. plasticpistol

plasticpistol

p90x or insanity - buy it off ebay...much cheaper!

13. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Leather gloves and cinderblocks will do wonders for curls, tri extensions, farmer's walk.

Sand bags are cheap and can be used for squats, curls, floor press bench. Wrap them in duct tape a few times and you can hold one above your head, jump and while you're in the air throw it on the ground as hard as you can. Repeat.

14. doubletap1

doubletap1

Get one of those blow-up exercise balls. They're about ten bucks at Wal Mart. Great to use with free weights and abs. You'll be surprised how much they can enhance a home workout. :cool:

15. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

16. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Take your car to an empty parking lot. Put it in neutral and push it. When you get it rolling, stop and let it stop. Repeat. You can push it a thousand different ways. There is little point in pushing it after it is already rolling unless you are going up a hill; which would be stupid. Use some common sense with this.

Fill a wagon with sandbags, cinderblocks, rocks, your child, whatever. Pull it. This would be good up a hill. Walk backwards, forwards, side-step.

Go to the end of the couch and lift it using your legs. Hold taught. Lower slowly. Repeat.

Split wood with an axe.

Look around. Surely there are plenty of things you can lift, pull, drag, push.

17. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Walk out your front door and start running.

18. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Should I leave my 4 month old daughter alone at home where it's warm, or take her with me outside where it's currently 11 degrees? We're going through a heat wave... :tongueout:

19. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I did one of the TWC OD things. Not bad.

nikerett - those are the kinds of ideas I'm looking for... A break from the norm. Thanks!

20. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I can't talk myself, because I suffer from a severe lack of motivation. However, for results in strength and flexibility these are hard to beat and you can do them anywhere.