close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Asus P4C800-E boot improvement tip

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Toyman

Toyman

Found this in the March 2005 CPU mag.

For those with the Asus P4C800-E motherboard, you can speed up the boot time considerably by doing the following:

If you have fewer than two SATA devices, you don't need the Promise PDC20378 controller. (You've probably seen this in the bootup sequence if you have the logo display turned off.)

In the BIOS, Under Advanced open the Onboard Devices Configuration page, tun off the Promise controller.

Also, if you don't need the parallel port, serial ports, game port, or IEEE 1394 port, turn those off.

I just did that, it made a nice difference in boot time.

2. pyblood

pyblood

I ahve 2 of those motherboards. I have one at hoem and one at work. I have disabled the promise controller on the one at work, becuse I use the other controller for my SATA hard drive. I ahev that controller enabled on teh one at home becuase I use it for my RAID setup. I haven't disabled the serial, game, or the Firewire ports, but you make a good point. Why haev them enabled if I don't use them. I could always just enable them in the bios if necessary.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The Promise chip controls IDE RAID array, while the southbridge chip runs the SATA array.

That's why the I/O carries the designation ICH5R .

Anyone not using the RAID ports on any MOBO that supports them should turn off the Promise controller if there is nothing attached to the third IDE cable, not just our board.

I am running two WD 120GB drives from mine, so I take that extra 5-second 'scan-time penalty' every morning...but when you figure in the increased speed at which data moves to RAM, it still boots faster than a single drive would be capable of...and apps load so much more quickly that the Promise Scan is no annoyance.

Paring the unused services in XP's Administrative Tools also speeds the boot time substantially on any MOBO, as does unticking any superfluous items in MSCONFIG's Startup folder.