Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, this thing is SMALL. I think I am in love.......

Good point of reference for this forum......

That is a Kel Tec P32.

·
Registered
27,986 Posts
Awesome..

I am getting so tempted to buy one of those.. I already have so much geek stuff thought hat I don't use.

IGF

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The keyboard is a *****, you have to deliberately hit the keys or they don't register. Also the shift key is only on the right hand side and the HD is formatted into 2 drives for some odd ass reason. I would bet the Tux version is better software wise.

Any picture requests?

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Asus has already come out with yet another version of the Eee PC: the Model 901

Another competitor is the MSI Wind but it has a standard disk hard drive vs. the Solid State drive of the Eee PC

·
Registered
27,986 Posts
The keyboard is a *****, you have to deliberately hit the keys or they don't register. Also the shift key is only on the right hand side and the HD is formatted into 2 drives for some odd ass reason. I would bet the Tux version is better software wise.

Any picture requests?
Its probably split into 2 partitions, one of them is the "recovery partition" to reinstall Windows(no cd drive)...

Also, the keyboard looks like it has 2 shift keys.

IGF

·
Banned
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asus has already come out with yet another version of the Eee PC: the Model 901

Another competitor is the MSI Wind but it has a standard disk hard drive vs. the Solid State drive of the Eee PC
There is also the 1000 on the market. I am in the process of getting my gamepad setup and running some old school games off an SD card. I have quake III arena running off my HD right now and its sweet, only issue is the gamepad setup. I have to make it emulate the mouse and keyboard because Q3 doesn't support this pad.

Overall this is going to be a very badass machine for travel and protablility in general. I have MS office and all my video codecs installed so I am set for now.

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
Asus looks nice, but leaning towards the Wind (I thought they had SSD's too) or Aspire One for the slightly larger keyboard.

I will wait till I see what Dell's offering is though. But assuming I don't pick up a cheap laptop in the next few months, it will likely be one of the above.

·
Registered
713 Posts
We just returned our 12G Eee 900, the fan would make a heck of a racket at 30-50% speed, like something was rubbing on the fan. Drove us batty. We were going to replace it with a 1000H but they were only available in Black. While waiting we found the Toshiba Portege R500 and got that instead.

The Eee is nice but the keyboard is a little too small for everyday use unless you have pretty small hands. I think the 1000H would have been perfect if the siren song of the R500 hadn't caught us. Thinner than the Eee (we found the thickness more important for portability than length/width) and it has a dvd burner in it as well.

·
MENACE
1,055 Posts
We just returned our 12G Eee 900, the fan would make a heck of a racket at 30-50% speed, like something was rubbing on the fan. Drove us batty. We were going to replace it with a 1000H but they were only available in Black. While waiting we found the Toshiba Portege R500 and got that instead.

The Eee is nice but the keyboard is a little too small for everyday use unless you have pretty small hands. I think the 1000H would have been perfect if the siren song of the R500 hadn't caught us. Thinner than the Eee (we found the thickness more important for portability than length/width) and it has a dvd burner in it as well.
How many gazillions of dollars is that little Toshiba???

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Asus looks nice, but leaning towards the Wind (I thought they had SSD's too) or Aspire One for the slightly larger keyboard.

I will wait till I see what Dell's offering is though. But assuming I don't pick up a cheap laptop in the next few months, it will likely be one of the above.
The (Acer) Aspire One. Nice. $350 from Amazon.com

Available in four colors: White, Pink, Blue, and an Espresso/Bronze color which I think is sexy as hell.

·
Registered
713 Posts
How many gazillions of dollars is that little Toshiba???
Pontificator is right, we paid $1699 for it (see end of post for J&R Music & computer rant). I admit it is not in the same class as the Asus/Wind/Aspire or other UMPCs but in the class above it. Believe it or not, there is a higher end than the R500. These little PCs go over 3k (which is just insane) for the high end ones.

The wife's work will reimburse us for it and she will use it as a desktop replacement. If we had to pay for it out of pocket we would most certainly have gotten the Asus Eee PC 1000h. I think it has the best combination of keyboard size/price/expandability. The 1000h comes with a conventional 2.5" hard drive which means you can easily upgrade it later down the road with a larger hard drive or even a faster grade SSD than comes standard on these types of PCs. If you don't have to buy one now you'd be best served to wait a few months as Asus has models planned with 3G support in the near future.

The 901 is a handy size but you can only put a 1.8" drive into it, and there are far fewer 1.8 drives available compared to the 2.5". The Toshiba got us basically a turnkey solution with more horsepower from the Intel C2D processor.

*rant* We ordered our Toshiba from J&R, and they seem to have a overactive credit protection department. Needless to say, my next day air order was delayed because they wanted to verify the order by calling the phone number listed with my credit card (my home number) in the middle of the day. Needless to say I wasn't there to answer the phone and they put the order on hold till they could speak to me. The fact that the credit department people all go home at 6pm EST basically puts your order on hold till the next day. J&R offered to ship next day for free because of the inconvenience but since it was Friday that meant that I'd get it on Monday so after some 'convincing' they agreed to ship it for Saturday delivery.

While they did their best to make it right, the inconvenience of order verification will make me think twice about doing time sensitive orders with them.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
I've been looking at these various "netbooks" with a great deal of interest.

Asus seems to crank out a new model every other month. While the features on them improve (mainly screen size), the price keeps going up to the point where buying a 14.1" Lenovo, Dell, etc. is probably a better deal.

I'm still very interested in the Aspire One. However, the reviews on Newegg are mixed. Everybody who wrote a review likes it but the SSD on 2 out of 5 purchases crapped out one after only a day of use. That's not good.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Even with the price increases, I think the Eee PC's and similar netbooks still represent a value. The main reason for buying them is their combination of small size, light weight and low price tag. Granted you can buy a $400 laptop that has more power and capability but that notebook might weigh twice as much and be 50% larger. On the other hand, you can buy a small powerful netbook, but you will pay $3000 for it too.

Cheap, small or powerful. You can only pick two.

Between the 1000H and the MSI Wind, I would buy the 1000H if I had to buy today. The MSI Wind is shipping with only a 3-Cell battery and not getting very impressive runtimes with it. Now when the 6-cell batteries come with it I might change my mind, but they will surely be more expensive than they are right now too...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts