Astigmatism red dot vs holographic site

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by pascal, Feb 23, 2010.

1. pascal

pascal

I have astigmatism and wish to use a WASR with side mount. Having tried several not cheap but inexpensive red dots, the condition I see varies from seeing the individual dots from the leds, to smearing of the dot or blurring. I was wondering if anyone with knowledge or just opinion would consider that the problem would go away or lessen noticeably with a inexpensive holographic sight, due to the differences in design. Thanks for any help.
    pascal

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. GlocksterPaulie

GlocksterPaulie Perfectionist

I have the same problem and had to get use to the fact that this is how I will see any red dot sight. Round dot or small looking snowflake, center of mass is center of mass.

Paulie

3. pascal

pascal

Hello and thanks for the response. Did you try both designs of red dots? I briefly looked thru a Eotech and don't recall seeing the problem, not that I could afford an eotech. I feel Aimpoints would produce the same type problem as the red dot scope styles.
    pascal

4. GlocksterPaulie

I only use Aimpoints but I have tried Eotech and when I look through an Eotech it looks like a big snowflake. Red dots look like an asterisk.

Paulie

5. pascal

pascal

Hey GlocksterPaulie,
    Thanks for the personal heads up on the differences in the sight picture. Seems I'll have to get used to it, because I can't use my pistol with glasses.
    Take care.
    pascal

6. GlocksterPaulie

Your welcome. Don't let it bother you, you will just see a small red thing that does not look like a nice round dot like most people see. Who cares what it looks like as long as it gets the job done. You may notice if you can adjust the size/brightness of the dot on what you are using it helps a lot with people like us and that damn eye problem.

Paulie

7. GySgt D

GySgt D

My astigmatism causes both red dot and holographic sights to look yucky.

An alternative, which I used for the first time today, is the Leupold Prismatic. The reticle is crisp, just like a telescopic sight. Eight brightness settings to choose from.

The only downsides from that of an Aimpoint is that the eye relief is not unlimited, and the battery life is something like 24 hours.

8. pascal

pascal

Thanks GySgt D,
    But with that name, I can tell I have to afford to live with the problem and adjust.
    pascal

9. Jay S.

Jay S.

Yup. When I first got my EOTECH I thought it was defective until I realized the problem went away when I put my glasses on. Looks like a big red snowflake. I have a knock off aimpoint (don't flame me - I did not know it was supposed to be an aimpoint clone, just thought it was a cheap red dot) and the dot is pretty clear. For me the EOTECH is much worse.

10. pascal

pascal

Thanks for your response. I personally believe the problem lies with the fact that multiple small leds are focused to produce a single dot. If it was a single like fiber optic dot, I believe the problem would be greatly mitigated. Continuing practice with mine and looking for targets, has helped to the point that the dot is almost a dot now. You have to disregard the dot except to put in on what you want a hole in.
    pascal