Astigmatism friendly RMR?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by DrewBone, Aug 25, 2018.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

Are there any recent solutions for those with astigmatism who wish to use an RMR? My eyes aren't getting any better and I'd like to explore the possibilities, if any, should I happen upon a MOS model whatever.

Thanks in advance for your reply :D

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Try to find a local retailer that has one of the Trijicon dual-illuminated RMRs in stock, and take a look through it. Some folks still have problems, for others they work well.

If you decide to go with an electrical red dot sight, I'd recommend one with manual dot brightness control. It can still have an automatic control, but when the dot is too bright is when the distortion is the worst, so a dot with a manual brightness adjustment gives you the best chance for seeing/using a nice round dot.

pAZ Ron, FullClip and Hoff like this.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'll see about doing exactly as you suggest, thanks 'DJ!

4. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

I have found that the 6.? moa "green dot" of the dual-illuminated RMR stays round for me, and I get some halo/starfish on the 3.25 moa red dot of the RM6. I get much less halo/starfish if I turn down the intensity of the red dot. YMMV.

5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Proper use of a red dot requires you to look at the target not the dot. if you are focusing on the dot you are doing it wrong--astigmatism or no...

In fact if you have an astigmatism and are looking at the dot you are compounding your problems!

Both eyes open--look at the target. The dot will take care of itself.

okiegtrider and GP4L like this.