close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Assume you are going to England, like me. What's good in Brit. food?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by antediluvianist, Jan 1, 2006.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

"Yesterday American and British troops handed out food to hundreds of Iraqis. Not surprisingly, the Iraqis handed the British food back. "
    - Conan O'Brien

I'll be in England for a while. Anybody can recommend some good Brit. food? What I remember is roast beef, London broil, basically a lot of kinds of beef. Meat drippings on toast. Wimpy Burgers.

Poultry that was starting to rot. They liked it a bit smelly and putrid : "high". Ecch.

Fish n chips."Chips" were in fact fat-cut French fries, and potato chips were "crisps".

Tea and all sorts of finger things and little biscuit things.

So, what do you recommned? Fine if you recommend restaurant food.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Spent 4 weeks there training on some software product in 2002. Breakfast was usually at the hotel. Try the various breakfast items. The most unusual was beans on toast, which as it turned out was EXACTLY heated "pork n' beans" on toast! Coffees and teas were very good. Lunch was cafeteria style in the canteen at the facility, but the food was pretty good. Cream style vegetable soups where usually from yesterday's vegetable item :) Dinners were mostly out at Pubs. Pub food ranged from good to outstanding. Oh, we ate a lot of Indian food. Indian restaurants (usually run by Pakistani :)) are as common as Chinese restaurants are in the USA. We had to search hard to find Chinese food. (This was in Western England, Wiltshire area.) All seafood was very fresh. Beers and ales were outstanding.

3. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I relocated to Dublin for 6 months once - the food is similar and nothing to write home about. I had an apartment so I could go the market and cook myself, but if going out, I stuck with Pizza. Another option is that you'll find many Ethnic choices so you might want to opt for that. As to British Isles food, I did like "Kabobs" and the fish wasn't bad. Be ready for allot of potatoes in one form or another.

I disagree with the other poster about bar food, I didn't find it good, but then maybe there is s difference there between England and Ireland. I agree about the seafood though - since there is an abundance, they do seem to make that pretty edible.

4. heavyduty

heavyduty

Kebab take-away is usually pretty safe. Personally, I try and eat Ploughman's plates in pubs - nice (usually local) cheese, meat, bread, some chutneys. A damn sight better than McD's!

5. Dandapani

Dandapani

I've never been to Ireland and you haven't been to England so how can we compare? We did take a side trip to Wales. Same thing. Food was good.

I was told that England suffered a reputation for having bad food and in short period of time there was a Renaissance of sort where Continental food was adopted and became the norm.

6. GreenBeret1631

GreenBeret1631

I don't think one should go to the UK to find gourmet food. I found that some Pub lunches were good. The best beers are served room temperture. Ice served in whiskey is not common.

There are however; many good restaurants, in London. They are usually French, East Indian, Italian, Chinese and Thai.

7. Keyhole

Keyhole

I've had fantastic Greek food in London. I enjoy all the different sausages there. There are some strange, but good, sandwiches. I once bought a cole slaw and sharp cheddar sandwich at a shop downtown. You got the crisps and chips difference. Also remember that over there jelly is jell-o and jam is jelly.

8. G-niner

G-niner

We once spent two weeks in an ancient hotel in Darlington that had a daily breakfast buffet. It was OK, but try to avoid the black or 'blood' pudding. I guarantee it will make you barf.

Hamburger in England is 'twice ground' to the consistency of mush. If you don't like MickyDees here you will hate it over there.

We did find good food at the pubs during the evenings. I found the seafood to be very acceptible. Don't be alarmed when you see a fifteen year old girl in the next booth drinking a 'pint' with her parents.

Driving on the 'other side of the road' is also a concern. I sort of got used to it but was afraid I might make a serious mistake in an emergency situation. Don't take this lightly.

They do seem to look at you cross eyed if you ask for ice with a drink but they will get it for you.

It was fun but I'm not sure I would do it again.

9. Remander

Remander

I have been three times, and I have had fair pub grub and great ethnic foods ranging from Italian to Indian.

If in London, head over to Brick Lane (Indian/Pakistani area) and settle in for a great meal in one of the numerous curry shops in that area. Very spicy and very good.

The Brits tell me that Chicken Tikka Masala is neck and neck with fish and chips for the best selling "take away" (to go, in American) meal in the UK. If you go for fish and chips, try a side of "mushy peas." I like them; they are big over there.

I like lamb and salmon (and other fish). Brit restaurants tend to feature those much more than we have over here, so take advantage of it if you like them. Smoked kippers (a fish) for breakfast was neat.

Ask locals. Explore. Experiment. Don't come home and say you ate at McDonalds the whole time. Be adventuresome and get some good stories, good or bad.

10. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I lived in England for 6 months. I drank like a fish. I mean I really drank like a fish. Oh yeah and I ate lots of good English choclates and cookies from conveniece stores.

I dropped weight like crazy!

The best food I ate in England was usually Indian restaurants, and Kebabs - never thougth I would actually like food which came from a roach coach! Pub food is okay (not great IMO).

Fish & Chips are okay - if you don't mind eating greasy fish served on newspapers. ;g When actually "eating out" think ethic - Italian, Indian, etc.

When living in England I rented a room from a couple (room & board). She was a horible cook. She either fried or boiled everything and never used any seasoning. She had some MSG that a prior renter had purchased. I used a LOT of that MSG in an attempt to make her food edible.

The best meal she would cook would be fried eggs (think poached eggs only using oil instead of water), fried potato wedges, and pork-n-beans from the can. I would cover this stuff with MSG and dig in. Heaven. - Sounds gross today - but belive me that was one of the few edible meals she could cook and only one of two meals she ever made that I actually could say that I liked.

11. kimo

kimo

Go online and look for gourmet bed and breakfasts or resturants. They're not as pricey as you think.

I had roast elk

on the sea shore I had amazing seafood

Venison casserole

Pheasant under glass.

For breakfast I asked for the English working mans breakfast. I got 2 eggs, ham or sausage, sauteed mushrooms, tomato slice, and great bread.

12. noway

noway

Will I lived in the UK as kid and had fun with british fish and chips or as I called them fish and "french" fries ( they didn't like that french word ) . Other fine british foods that receives a thumbs up; Yorkshire Pudding and Leg of Lamb and broil poddock.

granted brit foods isn't the most common 5stars ethnic foods served in the usa,but if you look around and get out you will find something you like ;)

13. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

I donated blood back in September. You go through a long screening now with LOTS of 'personal' questions. Besides what you would expect, they asked about your military and travel history in Europe within 'X' number of the past years.

With respect to military, it was, "Have you ever been stationed in one of these countries...?". When I pressed the tech, she said it was because the military brought ALL of their beef in from the UK for consumption in those installations. With the threat of Kruzfelt Jacob(sp?), aka 'Mad-Cow', they weren't taking ANY chances in donation.

Obviously, outright tourism to the UK was also considered a rejection for you.;P

14. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

I ave a brother and a umber of friends in Merry Olde, and go there about onece a year. The myth that their food sucks is blown way out of proportion.

The Indian food is great. I've found that the best way to get it is to talk with the cooks and tell them what you like as far as meats, vegetables, and spice levels are concerned and let them do their thing. They'll take care of you! (Keep in mind I live within delivery distance of "Little India" here in Philly, and I'm telling you, the English Indian is WAYYYYY better!)

Fish and Chips- I hate fish. Can't eat it. Every time I go to England, whomever is with me wants to get Fish N Chips. The first 2 times I went to a Chippy I ordered battered sausages. They're fried in the same oil as the fish, and they taste like fish. If you don't like fish but have to go to a chippy, get one of the meat pies. They're no good, but at least they're not fish. Or stop somewhere else on the way.

Chineese food is not like American Chineese food. Pretty much nothing correlates to what you're used to, and Duck Sauce as we know it doesn't seem to exist. You may have luck using the technique I mentioned for ordering Indan food, I don't know I haven't tried. Oh, and everyone there calls Chineese take-outs "Chinkys". Everyone. It's not viewed as a racist thing.

English food- the thing to get in proper English restaurants and the like is pork. The english are wizards with pork. As America is to beef, England is to pork. I have yet to get less than fantastic pork in England. My first home cooked English dinner was at a brand new in-law's house, and they made a turkey stuffed with ham! WOW was it good.
    The greatest feature of English cuisine, IMHO, is the "Hot Breakfast". Man it's a great concept. Also called a "fry up" you can get it in just about any pub, restaurant, bed and breakfast, inn, or truck stop. You order a hot breakfast and you'll get a good combination of most or all of the following: 2 eggs (usually sunny side up) AT LEAST 2 types of breakfast meat, including sausages, lean thick meaty bacon (nothing like American, or "streaky" bacon), and Black Pudding (god that stuff is good- ignore those who would tell you otherwise!), baked beans, fried bread or toast, grilled tomatoes and grilled mushrooms, juice and tea (or sometimes coffee). Some places, obviously, do it better than others, but even when it's mediocre, it's KICK ***!
    Other pub food I heartily recommend is the pies. Steak and kidney pie is good stuff. The cold pies you get at chippies that I recomended earlier actually kinda suck- the real pies, hot pies- are great.

Most people have tiny little refrigerators* and therefore go to the market every day, or every couple of days, and subsequently fresh foods are way more abundant there. The fresh breads, in particular, are great. Also the cheese selections in England are top shelf. Also in the supermarkets you can buy liquor. There is a generic brand of every type of spirit, and it comes with a plain white label with black type reading simply "Vodka" or "Scotch" or whatever. I want to get some of these bottles as display items, but am worried about how bad the contents could actually be....

*actually, most people have tiny little everythings there. Cars, houses, streets, everything just seems like maybe 15% smaller on average there. Like the whole place was built by hobbits or something...

And, of course, McDonalds. I only ate a "meal" there once, and it was oddly different than US Mickey D's- the ketchup is WAYYYY sweeter, for one thing BUT!!!! I always go there for the freaking APPLE PIES! They have the good old fashioned deep fat fried OLD SCHOOL apple pies that you can't get in America anymore. I usually end up eating half a dozen before I leave the island. But they have uniquely English fast food that you should try if you want a quick fix- Little Chef is my favorite (they do a pretty decent [low end] fry up, too.) The kebab places are the way to go there. Stay away from hoagie or submarine type sandwiches, they are disappointing. You'll get a loaf of bread with like 2 slices of meat and cheese and some salad in it. Nothing like you'll be expecting.

Oh, and one other thing. I ate at one Italian restaurant. It had wonderful hand tossed, brick oven cooked pizzas. They had a lot less cheese than we're used to, but they were good. HOWEVER, my brother and a number of other people tell me- mind you I haven't experienced it myself- that pretty much anywhere except the one restaurant where I ate, if you order pizza, it comes with corn on it. Corn is apparently as important a part of English pizza as tomato sauce. Go figure.

Other random things of interest- Stonehenge is considered a must see, but is sort of disappointing. It's smaller in real life than you've imagined it. Though I had a friend once wander away from stonehenge and 2 hours later he ended up on Sting's doorstep. Odd bit of luck, that. Not far from stonehenge is a town called Avesbury that has a standing circle of stones that, while not quite as cool cuz of a lack of stacked stone arrangements, is cooler because you can walk amonget the stones and touch them, and there's a whole little village incorporated into the landscape. It's a neat place. Buckingham palace is sort of boring, but the boat tours on the Themes are cool. They get some really cheeky cockney tour guides who are a laugh riot. The Wycombe caves are a cool thing to see, and they have a staue of Ben Franklin in the original meeting place of the original Hellfire Club, so that's cool. London is the cleanest city I've ever seen, and everyone there dresses like they're models. The place is jam packed so tight they have railing up on a lot of the sidewalks to prevent you from spilling out into the street. I didn't much care for that. And there's a great bar called Garlic and Shots that has garlic in everything, and was Johnny Cash's favorite place to hang out in London. Um, I think that's all for now....

15. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

I was there a few months ago. Like a lot of the other posters, I agree that the Indian food can be excellent. I had a fanastic tandoori (sp?). Also, had some Thai food and some excellent wild boar steak in a pub that served game. The rest of the pub food was pretty bland overcooked beef, it seemed.

16. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

altho i've never been there, i've heard that the pub grub is very good, and the ethnic places are great.

when i was in Spain, the local food was GREAT, and the ethnic food was incredible also.

from what i hear, England and food isn't as bad as people say ;f

17. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

You absolutely must try...

SPOTTED DICK

;P ;g ;G ;T ^4

Relax, it's a type of dessert...a cake with raisins or currants that provide the "spots".

18. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

;T

John, you best be glad I found recipies for that!

;L

*sigh*

19. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

They even sell it in a can!

[​IMG]

20. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

For breakfast, I highly recommend the egg sandwich with brown sauce and a pint of John Courage. (It makes the morning a bit more tollerable) ;+ ;c