close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Assorted Questions about OAL.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wavetrain75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

So seating the bullet too deep results in too high pressure, seating it too shallow makes it too long to cycle properly?

It's pretty obvious when you're over length in a revolver, what about a bolt or lever action? Are there headspace problems if they're loaded too long or is it a cycling issue?

Using .357 as an example, how profound are the velocity fluctuations between batches of minimum vs maximum seating depth. (I assume there's several things factored in here, I would accept answers like "A lot," or "not enough to worry about," or "doesn't really matter except for competition.")

Can round nose be used in tube fed carbines?

2. fredj338

fredj338

Rimmed cases headspace on the rim, so NO, OAL does not affect headspace as long as the bullet isn't wedge into the lands. In bottle neck rounds, headspace is on the shoulder, so again, unless the bullet is pushed into the lands, headspace is not affected. Functioning can be an issue w/ either, that is more about feeding from the magazine & OAL comes into play. You should NEVER load a RN bullet into a tube fed mag. Bad things can & have happened. If you file a flat on the RN, larger than the primer, you can load them. I have done this w/ 350grRNSP in the 45-70.
    Deeper seating in a handgun round results in higher pressure which usuallly means higher vel. In bottle neck rifle rounds, the closer you get to the lands, the higher the pressure, the higher the vel.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010

3. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Assorted answers for assorted questions;

Today's basketball scores; 102-97, 88-73, game 3 called for lack of attendance.

Today's temperatures; High 71 - Low 52, High 29 with snow - Low 17 and clearing.

Answer to today's mystery question; A midget on steroids.

Hope this helps. Happy shooting. :whistling:

Jack

4. mteagle1

mteagle1

Other than raising your post number was there a reason for this smart *** post.

5. kshutt

kshutt

I think if you'll read several of Jack's posts, you'll realize that he just likes to have fun on the forum. He'd be one of the guys I'd like to meet at a "Glock Talk" convention. I'm sure he's a great guy.

Doing this stuff is supposed to be fun and relaxing. The humorous thing to me is that if we were all actually in a room together, you know it would be a blast!

The older I get, the more I appreciate the "Jack's" in life. Maybe we would all benefit more if we just learned to appreciate how great it is to have a sense of humor and take things a little lighter. Be blessed, friend.

6. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

:thumbsup:

Bob

7. n2extrm

n2extrm

I would agree.:wavey:

8. n2extrm

n2extrm

Hope that helps

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

mteagle:

If I offended you in any way I sincerely apologize, it certainly was not my intent.

Not being the brightest color in the crayon box I have little, if anything constructive to offer on this forum but continue to lurk and participate because of the camaraderie and genuine fellowship.

I realize that for many it is more pleasurable to hear from a divorce attorney than it is from me but I mean no malice or ill intent in my posts.

Again, I apologize.

kshutt and the rest of the forum:

Only a fool would not be humbled and embarrassed by your kind words... although undeserved and unearned I truly appreciate the sentiments.

My best to everyone... even the old guys who have to have someone else read this to 'em.

Jack

10. mteagle1

mteagle1

GioaJack,

From reading other posters it appears I have over reacted and I am sorry. But I read so many replies that have nothing to do with what the OP was asking about that sometimes I vent when I should keep my mouth shut and just go on.

11. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Jack, leave the midgets and steroids alone, please. :supergrin:

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

mteagle:

I realize that I am a lot like castor oil... for some people I'm very hard to stomach. I go overboard at times, (frequently) and need to be put in my place... there is absolutely nothing for you to be sorry about, you did nothing wrong.

Besides, based on the last two statistics of your sig line you have earned the right not to take crap from anyone.

I thank you for your long service, although it took you a while to see the light and transfer to the air force, :supergrin:, and wish you all the best.

Jack