Assistance needed for next gun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Firearmjunky22, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Firearmjunky22

Firearmjunky22

currently I have a shield 9. I’m not that fond of the gun, idk why lol. Just looking for something different so I’m going to trade it in. I live in Ny so 10rd limit on magazines... I like the idea of trying out a red dot optic possibly. I’m having a hard time going for something as large as a Glock 19 or M&p 2.0 compact when I can’t get the benefit of 15rds. But with the smaller guns they mainly are for concealed carry and not the best target or fun guns. I guess I’m trying to fill the “one gun” slot for now. One gun that’s drawing me in is a Vp9sk. It’s a little large for a 10rd gun but gives me a rail for a light for home defense. Small enough to carry. Can dovetail mount an red dot optic to try out before cutting the slide. I also like the idea of a Glock 26 just wish it had a rail mount for a light or even the newer 43x/48 because there are ways to get a red dot on there whether it be a shield rmsc or even a larger rmr or 507c sized optic. What are your opinions? If I wasn’t restricted to 10rds I’d probably go Glock 19 sized. But idk if it’s worth it with not getting the capacity.

2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

First suggestion; move out of New York. I don't say that sarcastically, but they are more a part of Russia than the U.S.

Second, the VP9sk (or P30SK) are amoung the most comfortable sub-compact pistols I've ever owned. I love the ability to mix/match the back/sides of the pistol.

The Glock 26 has always been a favorite of mine and up until this year was my off-duty carry.

The Sig P365 replaced my G26 (which I still have) and is quite a nice pistol.

Just some thoughts to toss out.

-JCN-, Timeless and jr24 like this.

3. Gfive45

Gfive45

4. Featherweight

Featherweight

5. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Check out the Beretta APX Centurion (Glock 19 size) or Compact (a little smaller.) Best ergos on the market. (Better than the VP9sk).

tcphoto and Deputydave like this.
  6. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Good endorsement. Makes me curious about it.

TheDreadnought likes this.
  7. jr24

jr24

Agreed.

But for concealment realize the slide is pretty wide. Wider than a 19/26 and only a few hundreths of an inch thinner than a Glock 21 slide, which may be a challenge for concealment depending on your setup. The actual grip is thinner and better for concealment over the Glock.

Best striker ergos I've encountered and with the competition spring it is a sweet, sweet shooter.

Edit: by my calipers on the rear of the slide (where I print most with the APX)
    Glock 19: 1.00"
    Glock 21: 1.17"
    APX Cent: 1.11"

Might matter, might not. Does for me

TheDreadnought likes this.
  8. G19 fan

G19 fan

I looked at the Shield 9 before I bought my first Glock. The G19.4 just seemed to fit my hand better.
    I vote for the G19 or G26. I have no prob EDC either. The 19 might be just a little more accurate for me but there is no significant difference in recoil. Also, if you ever move from NY to a free state, the larger mags are an option.

9. sourdough44

sourdough44

Sounds like more ‘Target & fun gun’, less so concealed carry? If so, a Glock 19 in some flavor fits the bill, CC too if needed.

treg and G19 fan like this.
  10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I go personally with a glock 26 with grip extension or a S&W k frame magnum

G19 fan likes this.
  11. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Smaller guns are generally harder to shoot well. You want the larger gun if you aren't NEEDING a small gun. Those of us who CCW carry small guns. If you aren't CCWing (sorry about the NY thing), then IMHO, you should be looking at least at a mid-sized gun.

Consider a CZ 75 Compact, a Browning Hipower, or a G19. Maybe a midsized Sig P series. Lot's of options, go to a range and rent some to try out...

pjanthony and Cambo like this.
  12. Firearmjunky22

Firearmjunky22

Ranges don’t exist in my area. Only places I know of within 2-3 hours are just clubs you can shoot at. But no rentals anywhere near me

13. PRKJayhawk

PRKJayhawk

Look at a Beretta Px4 Compact. About Glock 19 size and also available in .40.
    FWIW I have a Glock 19 here in Kalifornia, and all I have for it are ten round mags. As long as I take along a spare mag I don't worry about it. If I did I'd take two spare mags.

14. grumpy1

grumpy1

Since you want to try optic IMO Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS makes a lot of sense even if you can only go 10 rounds. VP9SK is not that much smaller than the Glock 19 for CCW from my experience.

15. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Another vote for the Walther PPS.

16. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

You may want to consider the CZ Rami.

17. indie_rocker

indie_rocker

18. Firearmjunky22

Firearmjunky22

Can’t find one for sale or with 10rd capacity

19. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

If I was restricted to ten rounds I would choose a Sig P239 or a 2 or 3” Smith K frame revolver with a round butt boot grip. IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2797.JPG

The P239 handles better than it looks. It carries like a subcompact and shoots like a full size gun.

The Glock 26 is a very versatile little gun, but you lose a lot of that versatility if restricted to the flush fit 10rd magazine. I wouldn’t want the baby Glock if I couldn’t make use of the factory +2 12rd magazine and carry a 15 or 17 round magazine as a reload.

The round butt K frame snubby is also incredibly versatile. Magnum ammo for carry and .38’s for the range. Six shot cylinder. Snubby carries easily while the 3” has a full length ejector rod. My 3” K frame is a very fast revolver to reload with speedloaders. Revolvers are very under appreciated these days.

Also, it’s a pretty safe bet that revolvers won’t be the topic of any new gun legislation if you live in a Democrat controlled state.

treg likes this.
  20. Firearmjunky22

Firearmjunky22

Anyone else? Still trying to decide