close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Assault Weapons Ban expires in September 2004 hooray!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by -, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Guest

Let's hope Congress and Bushy do not renew it.

Bruce M likes this.
  2. NY Patriot

NY Patriot

Yup... lets just hope that Congress and Bush won't sign a new & permanent AW ban into law.

Let's not actively work toward that goal. That might actually require some effort and organization on the part of American gun owners.

Bruce M likes this.

3. Jerry

Jerry Millennium Member

Yah right! When hell freezes over maybe. Too many are willing to except "reasonable" controls. ;Q :(

After almost 30 years of fighting and being called a fanatic for my trouble I've stopped beating my head against the wall. ;g

4. Guest

I think our main hope is Congress, because Bushy has said in the past that he would sign an assault weapons ban if put in front of him. Of course that was during the Bush-Gore campaign. Hopefully it will be Bushy Jr.s 'read my lips'. Our greatest salvation may be Congress believe it or not. The House voted to repeal the assault weapons ban in 1996 something like 280-140. Unfortunately it never came to a vote in the Senate and Klintonista would have vetoed it anyways.

5. Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand No Way to Win

Let me add my $.02 cents worth, gun laws are never just left to expire or become defunct, they are always renewed usually with tougher restrictions. When it comes to gun laws, gun owners are always left to grin and bear it.

Even if the ban was left to expire, if it does I would highly suggest on stockpiling full capacity mags, and whatever assault rifles w/features you may ever want. All it would take is 1 Democrat President, or a Democrat ridden Congress and you can say good-bye to them again.

6. Glockslinger MI

Glockslinger MI Stylin' Member

If you think for one minute the antis don't know this, too, and won't make MUCH noise, you've got another thing coming! I'll remain hopeful, write my letters if need be, but won't be surprised when president stab-us-in-the-back signs it back into law for another decade or so.

7. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

There is no president,senator,or representative that wants citizens to be armed.
    Don't get to thrilled about this 'sunset'...It ain't gonna' happen.The government wants you disarmed.

8. ray23&27

ray23&27 ----

Politics is a job that is never finished. We never reach a point where we can relax and feel that everything is fixed and we don't have to sweat it any more.

You also never get 100% of what you want. If you let that fact discourage you and stop you from participating in the political process, you will get 100% of what you don't want.

The congressional elections this year are very important for those interested in RKBA. Both houses are very closely divided between the parties.

If the House of Representatives falls into the hands of the Democrats there will be more antigun legislation than there will be if it stays in the hands of the Republicans.

Republicans aren't all perfect on the Second Amendment and not every Democrat is a villian, but the party in the majority controls committee chairmanships and commttee agendas. Committees are where bills we don't like can be bottled up and killed by a few good people.

On balance, the Republican Party is better for us than the other guys.

I'm giving some money to the NRA for this election cycle. They put it where it does the most good in elections.

If you keep the pressure on your senators, representatives and other elected officials with letters, calls and emails you can make a difference.

One person's letter might not influence a representative's vote, but when they get a flood of communications on an issue it can change their position.

If we get tired, lazy and apathetic about politics the antigun activists will win more victories than they can if we keep struggling.

I'm editing to add the thought that if Republicans gain control of the US Senate it will have beneficial long-term influence on the federal courts that often end up deciding those all-important firearms cases.

The Senate has the last word on judicial appointments and Republicans tend to appoint people who read the US Constitution as it was intended to be read.

9. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

It's going to be renewed unless there was a dramatic change in the house and senate. That ain't happening.

10. bill clancy

bill clancy

The sunset clause was put in there to act as "vaseline". The antis are watching this sunset as closely as we are.

11. gconan

gconan

Hopefully John Ashcroft will talk Bush into not signing it.

12. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

13. DonL

DonL

John Ashcroft said during the Senate confirmation hearings that he felt that the assault weapons ban was constitutional...The only thing that will put a check on these people, is the fact that Gore lost the presidency because of the NRA. And remember, it only passed the House by one vote.....I don't think its going to make it again.

14. ray23&27

ray23&27 ----

Edited, because I was repeating myself.

Vote, give money to the NRA, help good candidates.

Every little bit helps.

15. Redondo

Redondo CLM

Right now we don't know if the Democrats or Republicans will be in control. Look at who will be in charge of the leadership, in the House, if the Democrats have control. Most are anti-gun. Bush's lack of support is stupid. Supporting the Democrats this fall would be even dumber! I doubt if the law will be allowed to sunset. I hope I'm wrong.

16. Patriot.45

Patriot.45 GOA,TFA member

"John Ashcroft said during the Senate confirmation hearings that he felt that the assault weapons ban was constitutional...The only thing that will put a check on these people, is the fact that Gore lost the presidency because of the NRA. And remember, it only passed the House by one vote.....I don't think its going to make it again."

When has the NRA ever said that they want the Semi-auto ban ( I see most of you are still using the enemies terminology.) to be ended ??
    Only GOA has clearly stated that only they have had the guts.
    But please,please prove me wrong?

17. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I remember everyone being on pins and needles, as the sunset date for that piece of legislation approached. Most expected some last-minute bit of ****ery to occur, that would extend the law. It was a sweet day when that didn't happen.

Walk Soft, Maine, Jeff S. and 7 others like this.
  18. Random

Random Makeshift Patriot

Wow. I forgot how balanced and civilized this place used to be. And that was a pretty major hot topic back then.

19. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

The site was much smaller then and the community was much closer-knit... Less anonymous. To be fair though, the world was a bit different then too. Society has changed in the fourteen years since this thread was posted. People have gotten ruder. There is less respect and consideration for others. I shudder to think how things will be in another fourteen years.

Hopefully, this election will help stem the tide that has been sweeping over us, or at least slow it down a bit. Hope springs eternal.

Maine, TBO, G19Tony and 3 others like this.
  20. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I remember on the eve of the sunset, I found a internet site that was selling 10-round Glock 19 mags at a good discount, maybe $8 or $10 each? And I ordered a whole bunch of them. And also the "03" followers from Glock Inc. (Funny thing is, the "03" or maybe the "04" followers were the latest and greatest at that time. What version followers is Glock up to new?)