close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

As a CWP holder, what would you do in this robbery situation?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BFN, Jan 11, 2010.

1. BFN

BFN

You have a concealed weapons permit, and usually carry a Glock 21 in condition 1. You regularly practice at the range including tactical situations of drawing and firing your weapon, and you are an accurate marksman.

You are the only customer in a convenience store, about 15 feet from the check-out. It is daylight. A man enters the store and heads towards the cashier. He may have noticed you, but you are not certain of this. The man pulls a gun on the cashier and demands cash. His back is to you, and you would have a clear 15 foot shot at him. The cashier is off to the side and not in the line of sight, and no one else is visible in or out of the store.

1. What would you do?

a. do nothing and stand with your hands at your side.

b. place your hand on your gun and prepare to draw.

c. shoot the robber.

d. do something else (explain).

Lets say you decided to do nothing. The cashier finishes placing the cash in a bag, and hands the bag to the robber. The robber grabs the cash and shoots the cashier in the chest, the cashier immediately drops to the ground. The robber turns to head for the exit.

2. What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. HexHead

HexHead

1. B He's not a threat to me and I'm not a cop.
    2. C Now I know he's not afraid to shoot innocent people and I'm now in immediate danger of death or grave bodily injury. He's not out the door yet and if he spots me he'd likely shoot.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

3. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

1. A, B, or D, depending on a number of different variables.
    2. B or D, again depending on a number of variables. As long as he is headed for the exit he isn't a problem to me.

4. Captainns10

Captainns10

B. Ready to go if shtf. BG has alrdy pulled on somebody whats to stop him from pointing his gun at you, by then it would be to late for you to do anything other than comply with his demands, whatever they may be. Im not saying you take him out but you definately put yourself in a position to protect yourself at the very least.

5. kda

kda NRA Life Member

1. B At this point it is only money, likely insured.
    2. C Now lives are on the line, he is an established killer and I could easily be next. I have no doubt I will be next if he spots me and I'm not going to wait for him to take the first shot.

6. TexasFats

TexasFats NRA, TSRA, SAF

As soon as a shot is fired by the robber, it is time for "Hell on the border."

7. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Very likely C. Oregon law allows the use of deadly force to protect a third party, provided they are in the same situation that would allow you to use deadly force to protect yourself. Robber pointing gun at them from across the counter and demanding money would qualify. I have a very good lawyer and would have trouble looking at myself in the mirror if I had the means to keep someones mommy/daddy/sister/brother/son/daughter/etc from getting killed and didn't do so.

While that alone is enough for me to open fire, it won't be for a lot of people. For them, I submit this:

I have no doubts that if the robber notices me he will turn the gun on me, and demand that I hand over any valuables I have, including my gun if he should see it. If you would not want to protect yourself from THIS situation, then I don't know why you bother carrying a gun.

I say all of this from a comfy chair in my safe, clean house, without adrenaline coursing through me and the need to make life-altering decisions in fractions of a second.

8. chris in va

chris in va

Just sitting here in my chair reading this, I'd try and find cover first.

In an actual situation, probably something else. Won't know until it happens.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Small world. I had a story told to me by a retired LEO. He was invloved in a very sim. situation & decided he would shoot. Just before he broke the shot, someone yelled "don't shoot, don't shoot, it's a movie"! Some college kids were filming a movie.:wow: Moral, your decision, but unless the BG fires that shot, no ones life is in immediate danger BECAUSE, you do not know what is really going down.
    Cover, pistol out, pointed in even, but the shot stays in the gun until the BG makes that move. He fires, you fire, then give medical attention to the clerk, poor bastard.:dunno: Yeah, it sucks, but how would you like to be the guy that shot a kid pulling a prank? Your gun does not make you Rambo or Superman, even for off duty LEOs.

10. Vegas Coug

Vegas Coug

I heard the same story from an instructor at Front Sight, wonder if its the same guy.

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

As described probably C I put 3-4 or more rounds in his back.

The clerk is in my immediate area and the only thing keeping the clerk alive is an unpredictable armed bad guy who can fire in less then half a second from a drawn firearm. I am not going to try and do a physiological profile on him on determine if he is or isn't serious in his threat of deadly force.

I am behind in the situation his weapon is drawn. I get to his level ASAP. There are very few situations that exist where I would draw but not fire. Not drawing and leaving him with this huge head start is not an option for me. At this point fight or flight.

If he is just a junkie with an airsoft then he made many bad decisions and this will probably be his last. Either way I will have no enjoyment in the situation.

The only other option I would consider on how it is described is to immediately run to the back of the store and seek cover. The clerk is on his own and his decision to not have the ability to defend himself might cost him dearly. If shooting happens at the front of the store I hold my cover and only shoot if approached or shot at.

12. Jon_R

Jon_R

Sounds like those college students almost won a Darwin Award...

The same for knifes? If it is just held to your throat but you are not cut you are not in immediate danger.

I am not sure I agree with your statement I bolded. I am not willing to wait in the situation described for the person to actually shoot at me from 15 feet before I shoot at him. I can only base my decisions on the information I have. If a kid decides he wants to put on a convincing prank I am not going to hesitate just because the guy with the gun might be kidding.

Interesting story though. They should try and secure their movie sets better.

13. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I'm sorry, are you out of your mind? Someone has a gun aimed at someone else's vitals, and no one's life is in immediate danger? What world do you live in?

As for idiot college kids filming a movie, well..........You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

C.

I don't care about the money, either, but pointing guns at innocents is a no-no.

15. sean665

sean665 Semper Fortis

1. Get to cover-if possible and draw.
    2. Game on.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Hmmm. Do you intend to play by the same rules if, God forbid, someone points in at you? Could be a scene from a movie. Could be a toy gun. Gonna give him the first shot because your life isn't in immediate danger?

17. johnatwi

johnatwi

Please tell me your kidding? No one's life is in immediate danger?????

You would want the murder of the store clerk on your hands? Action is faster than reaction, remember that.

18. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

+1!:wavey:

95% of the gunslingers that say they would go in w/ their guns blazing in real life will piss on themself's and do nothing except run and hide.:upeyes:

Paul

19. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

1. Pull to cover, aim, shout out "drop the weapon". Shoot if he makes any movement other than dropping the weapon...

2. See #1.

I guess this is if I am not pissing my pants. Hopefully someone would do the same if it were me looking down a perps gun barrel...

20. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

First, you have 9 posts here on GT which leads me to ask why you are asking the question. Second, you adhere to what your training as a CCW permit holder allows under your state's law. Third, get a lawyer once you let that first round go.