Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new Scar 16S in yesterday - As some know - I sold my Steyr AUG and used the $$ to pay for this.

Today, I put 287 Rounds thru the gun. Fantastic gun! Had a great time.

Now, I had already read it was it was super loud with the factory muzzle break - But, the break also reduces recoil a little. I wanted to try it before I just went ahead and took it off and had a flash hider installed...

Well.. DAMN was it loud sitting under a metal roof (outside) when it went off. I had to go back to the car and add foam ear plugs UNDER my muffs. And, with the reflection of the noise off that roof, I still started to get a headache.

But, I love this gun. I was using my Mepro 21 reflex sight (with triangle reticle) - an optic I had left over after I sold my Steyr AUG a couple of weeks back. After sighting it in, I was very impressed with the optic. I actually had considered selling it and getting a Trijicon 1-4x scope, as I didn't shoot as well with it on the AUG. But, for some reason, I shot with the Mepro MUCH better with the same optic on the SCAR.

So, I've decided not to bother with the Trijicon scope. I might shoot a little better groups with the magnification - but not $1000 better groups - hahahaha. Plus, with a mount, such a scope would add more weight to the rifle...

Anyway, After 150 rounds, I left the range for a little while, and I had the factory muzzle break removed. It was replaced with a Yankee Hill flash hider instead (it was $35). I then went back to the range and shot another 100+ rounds with it. HUGE difference. Recoil is a tiny bit more - but the noise seemed to be cut in 1/2. Just the muffs were fine at that point.

As I had read online previously - the zero of the rifle changes a bit when you make such a change. It was 3.5 inches to the left at 50 yards. So, I re-zeroed my optic with the new flash hider.

I did most of my shooting at 50 yards,but actually did about 80 rounds at 100 yards. First time I ever did that - as my eyes suck without magnification - and I never shot the AUG that well at 100 yards with my reflex sight. I did very well.

I also really like the TROY battle grip I installed last night (factory gun coems with an A2 grip - I hate that finger groove). The new pistol grip is at a slightly different angle, but it actually rests on sandbags better than a Magpul grip does.

Here is a pic:

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. I have an M21 reflex sight on my AK since probably 2002 or somewhere around there.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,765 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. I have an M21 reflex sight on my AK since probably 2002 or somewhere around there.
Cool. Well, they have upgraded them a few times over the years - the latest Mepro 21 "Revision M" suffers a LOT less from washout. I had a M21 about 3 years ago and returned i. Didn't like it at all. But the washout issue is much, much less of a problem now. I've had mine since April.

I just now have a gun I tend to shoot better with using the Mepro.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Nice rifle..

Congrats!:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Have NO interest in starting a flame war, just curious because the AUG is a bucket list gun for me.

Why trade off the AUG for a SCAR?

Now, full disclosure, I have shot neither the AUG or SCAR, but the AUG is just drop-dead COOL. It REEKS Austrian weapon design, and I am favorable disposed to bullpups anyway, again, even though I have yet to fire one.

So, if your answer is "fire each and you will understand" ---well, I understand the message, but not having a likely chance to fire either one, I would appreciate more of a narrative.

Thx!

·
Semper Paratus
28,682 Posts
Have NO interest in starting a flame war, just curious because the AUG is a bucket list gun for me.

Now, full disclosure, I have shot neither the AUG or SCAR, but the AUG is just drop-dead COOL. It REEKS Austrian weapon design, and I am favorable disposed to bullpups anyway, again, even though I have yet to fire one.

So, if your answer is "fire each and you will understand" ---well, I understand the message, but not having a likely chance to fire either one, I would appreciate more of a narrative.

Thx!
I have owned both .. I sold my AUG black 16 inch model ..

Fire them both you will understand...

The SCAR. Was like shooting an air soft gun, really it is that light and the recoil is nil.

The AUG is cool but it is horrible to fight with , the manual of arms is complicated even mag changes are slow, trigger cannot ever get to what a one of the good triggers available for the SCAR will get you.

Complicated to fit lights and optics to, just never felt comfortable .

My opinions only.

·
NRA & SAF mbr
2,984 Posts
Congrats. I call my SCAR-16 my "Ferrari rifle."

·
Semper Paratus
28,682 Posts
The reflex sight is cool. Try the aim point micros,, that is Optic you are seeking....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,765 Posts
The reflex sight is cool. Try the aim point micros,, that is Optic you are seeking....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Actually, I used EOtechs for years and years. But, I cannot use an aimpoint. I do not see a "dot" - I see a starburst or kidney bean. It doesn't matter how low I turn the setting down either. All red dot scopes do this to me. I must have a slight astigmatism...

In the past couple of years, though, my eyes must be getting worse. I was starting to occasionally see TWO center dots when looking down range thru the EOtech (at home looking at an up close wall, it looks fine). Well, now it was happening ALL the time.

Plus, I have wanted a battery free optic for years - I tried the previous version of the Mepro, and a trijicon RX30 as well. They sucked. The newest version of the Mepro - "Revision M" is MUCH, MUCH better when it comes to washout.

Admittedly, it's a little harder to shoot precise shots using the tip of a triangle compared to the center 1MOA dot of the EOtech. I used to crank down the brightness of the eotech until I could see THROUGH the center dot - and I could get some really good groups with it.

However, with the right rifle and a better trigger than the one on an AUG, I seem to shoot with the Mepro much better. It is a combat optic. Putting the vast majority of (about 25 of 30) rounds in a 5x5 inch area at 100 yards with no magnification if the best I've ever shot at 100 yards (with no magnification)

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,765 Posts

Thx!
No, I don't mind explaining. Fair question...

I will say that while the weight difference between the Steyr AUG I had (and the accessories on it) versus the weight my SCAR (and the accessories on it)... The AUG setup was about 6 ounces less. However, the SCAR does feel heavier than the AUG, because much of the weight of the AUG was in the rear.

And, the AUG was much shorter (had to re-arrange my safe to fit the SCAR).

However, I shoot the SCAR much better. I think a lot of that is the trigger. The trigger on an AUG is not known for being that great, unless you start to do mods to it. And, some people can complain about the factory SCAR trigger and throw in expensive $300 upgrades. But, the trigger weight seems to vary from specimen to specimen. Mine is fine.

I also found that for some reason, the barrel on the Steyr AUG had to heat up a bit before I shot consistent groups. That was kind of strange, and I didn't like that 1 factor. Not sure if they are all like that, or just the one I had.... The SCAR doesn't seem to have that issue.

Mayhem is correct - the manual of arms is different on the AUG. Reloading takes some significant practice - as the first reaction seems to be to point the gun up while ya change the mag - and that is frowned upon at ranges.

But just in general - I liked the SCAR better - it's personal preference. I had an MSAR AUG years ago - my first 5.56 rifle at the time. After I sold it, I missed it a bit. And, I finally had a chance to get the real deal - a Steyr AUG. So, I gave the AUG platform another chance...

However, I probably would have gotten the SCAR months ago instead - had not all that craziness started. I got the AUG at normal price - but the 5.56 SCARs were going for over $3k, if you could even find one. Now, prices are back to normal.

·
Premium Member
42,165 Posts
Very nice,.........congrats on a fine carbine!

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I have the AUG since 1987. It's a good piece with some idiosyncrasies. I haven't handled and shot the Tavor so I can't say but compared to other bullpup rifles the AUG is the best hands down. Including that strange beast called FS2000.

The SCAR should be a good weapon. After all, FN is the best military small arms manufacturer in the world.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,765 Posts
Yes, the FN guns are expensive.

I have held the FS2000 many times. I don't like the feel of the front end of the gun. There was a PS90 for grip available for a while, but I never got to hold a gun with one on it already. i might like the FS2000 with that on the gun, but not sure...

I actually shot a Tavor before I before I bought the AUG. I didn't really care for it enough to buy it.

·
NRA & SAF mbr
2,984 Posts
Love my FS2000, too. It's just cool.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts