ARRRGHHHHH! Paw licking!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by jim2037, Nov 12, 2005.

1. jim2037

jim2037

I have a 14 year old GSD/COllie Mix who recently has taken a habit of licking his paws. NO rhyme or reason, he does it at random times. Its very annoying, Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick Its driving me banana's. Any advice on how to get him to stop?

Jim

2. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

My lab does that too. We have found he mostly does it in the fall when the leaves are on the ground. The vet says it is allergies as dogs don't get sinus problems like us, they react in their paws and their skin.

We use a medicated shampoo and a separate conditioner from the vet. When I see him starting to lick and bite his paws, I just wash his paws with the shampoo and conditioner, rinse, dry, and the licking stops. Really seems to work for us. If you want I will go get the names off the bottles and post them for you.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

3. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Jim,
    Like jeep said its probably a food allergy. Maybe something in the diet is making this flare up. I would first try a food change (slowly!!!) then treats, and whatever else.
    Also Oatmeal shampoos are great for this.
    Hope this helps some.