Featured Arrived Late to the Glock Party (but I’m finally here!)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Edge767, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Edge767

Edge767

[​IMG]

I’m one of those guys. You know, the ones who could be heard saying, “Those plastic, ugly things? I could never carry one. They have no personality and are butt-ugly!” You read right; I was literally basing my opinion of a firearm solely on its looks. I recognized the reputation of safety and reliability, but I allowed my narrow-mindedness in regards to firearm aesthetics to cloud my judgment when it came to considering Glocks for purchase. Then, one day, I decided to finally get my concealed handgun license, and while searching for good carry weapons, a friend told me to seriously consider Glock. As I respect this friend’s opinion immensely, I did so. What I found was both perception-shattering and life changing.

As you may have read in this article, my background as a U.S. Marine was with the M1911A1 and the M9. I received lengthy training with both of these service pistols, and I felt very comfortable with them. The pistol I carried most or had readily available to me at all times was a Colt Series ’70 that was given to me by my brother-in-law. When I would go to the range, I would practice with it and also with the M9, and both just felt like “home” to me. Over 30 years of working with two weapons systems does bring a comfortable familiarity. It also brought a large degree of confidence. However, neither of these pistols are readily concealable; I’m a short man, and these large-frame pistols print horribly on me. Enter Glock into the pool of candidates to become my ECW.

As my friend and I discussed ECW options, he told me that he personally carried a Ruger, but was looking to replace it with a Glock 43. He began telling me about it, and from the description alone, I felt that he was describing the type of pistol I would prefer to carry as my ECW. The fact that it was a Glock melted away from my list of concerns as he explained to me how the striker worked, how the safety devices built into the Glocks were designed and how they worked, and ultimately, how little maintenance they require. My 1911’s are a lot of things, but maintenance free isn’t one of them. I decided to go to a local gun store that was having a free-shooting event with most of the big-name manufacturers on-hand to let people fire their pistols. It was there that I shot Sigs, Glocks, Smith & Wesson M&P’s, Walthers, Kimbers, and Rugers. Of all the pistols I shot, I felt best with the Sigs and the Glocks. However, the words of my friend kept coming back to me, and I decided that the Glock was the one for me.

Fortunately for me, there was a gun show coming the following Saturday, so I held off on buying in the store that day and waited for the gun show. We arrived early in the morning (before the doors opened) and my two friends and I immediately set out to find Glock 43’s at the best price. After about 20 minutes, we met up and compared prices and found a brand new one for $423. Bingo! I jumped on it and laid out the cash and purchased my first Glock. It was a cute little pistol, and I immediately bought a OWB holster from Tucker & Boyd and some extra magazines. When I got home, I purchased some Pearce +1 magazines, and the following day, I purchased some Hornady Critical Defense rounds for it.

[​IMG]

I field stripped the pistol and fell in love with the simplicity of the engineering. The finish was very nice, but the way that the pistol was laid out, how everything was so dead-nuts simple just really impressed me. I watched some videos to learn how to detail strip it, and for educational purposes, I did that as well. Having built AR’s in the past and taken apart my M9 and 1911’s beyond field stripping, the Glock was a marvel of engineering. How it came apart and went together so easily is something that I felt was superior in design; truly a modern pistol. After putting it back together, I took it to the range and did very well with it. It was then that I decided that I wanted a Glock 19.

I called my friend and asked him if he knew where I could find the best price for a Gen 4 Glock 19 in our city. He gave me the name of a gun store that I could call, and sure enough, they had them for $521. This seemed fair to me as a non-gun show price, so I told them I’d be right over. Thirty minutes later, I was the owner of a Gen 4 Glock 19. When I got home, I purchased the extended slide release lever and some extra magazines, both OEM and Magpul. I also bought some Meprolight sights on Amazon and a sight tool on eBay that was made for Glocks. I was now getting invested into Glocks.

[​IMG]

After putting these parts on my new G19, I took it to the range and fell in love with it. I did have problems with it at first, but it turned out I wasn’t holding it right and probably limp wristing it (even though I was sure I wasn’t). Shooting the 1911’s and M9 allow you to have a grip that is not quite as firm as needed for a Glock. While it wasn’t as much an issue with the G43, the G19 demands the more firm grip. Once I got this figured out, it became my favorite shooter.

After having the Gen 4 Glock 19 for a week or so, I decided to buy one for my daughter. AIM Surplus had a batch of police trade-in pistols on sale for $359, so I purchased one. Along with some Meprolight sights, extended slide release, and some Pearce magazine bases that fill the hole on the front of the grip, I set this pistol up for my daughter as a Christmas present. She has yet to receive it, but will soon.

[​IMG]

The bug bit me hard, and since my daughter had been talking about getting into competitive shooting, I decided it would be something nice that she and I can do to spend time together now that she’s moved out and on her own. I figured that having a G34 would be a good idea, so here on the Glocktalk Classifieds, I found a Gen 3 Glock 34 for a good price. It had probably ~200 rounds though it, which just meant to me that it was broken in. I purchased it, and received it about a week later. I put some TruGlos on it and it is one of the nicest shooting pistols I’ve ever shot. My wife likes shooting it as well, but not as much as the next Glock I purchased.

[​IMG]

The Glock 17 is the one that started it all, and it was the one I first became aware of back in the late 80’s. It was the famous “Plastic gun” that erroneously was touted by the press as being a gun that could be carried through a metal detector without alerting. This, obviously, is false, but the rumors were rampant. Also of note was its polymer construction which, back in the 80’s, was looked down upon. Sure, the M16A2’s we carried had polymer handguards, pistol grips, and stocks, but those were not integral parts of the weapon. That the frame of the Glock 17 was polymer frankly scared a lot of us. Would it be able to hold up? What would happen to them in 5 years? 10 years? Well, fast-forward nearly 30 years, and the Glocks have more than proven themselves, and I was ready to accept it.

At this point, having purchased four Glocks, it was time to make the leap and get the original: the Glock 17. I opted for a Gen 4, and I haven’t regretted it. I was able to use my GSSF purchase card and bought it at a local Blue Label dealer for $425. To say that this pistol fits me perfectly is an understatement. It’s the pistol I have found I shoot the best with, and of all my pistols, my wife loves the Glock 17 the most. Everything about it just sings to me, and at this time, I can’t see myself looking elsewhere for a pistol that just works for me, my hand, and my shooting style. Whenever I go to the range, the Glock 17 is always with me, and always the first pistol (and often the last) that I shoot.

[​IMG]

A funny thing happened along the way to the Glock party; I fell in love with the aesthetics. Much like a kitchen knife or a good hammer, tools develop an identity or a personality, especially when they prove to be reliable, easy to use, and help make the job at hand easier. The Glock pistols I’ve purchased fit the bill in all the aforementioned areas. I’ve found that I actually really like how they look, and while the 1911 is still the quintessential look for a semi-auto pistol in my mind, the Glocks are now my favorites. I was late getting to the Glock party, but I’m here now. I’m here to stay, and this round of drinks is on me.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Tcfool, KB2QQM, Avalon786 and 21 others like this.
  2. wws

wws

Congratulations. You made a wise choice. Many years ago my first gun purchase was a Glock 17. I absolutely love that gun and it's probably the one I shoot best. Just a few weeks ago I picked up one of the new grey frame Glock 19's. It's another great gun.
    The simplicity and reliability of a Glock can't be beat.
    Enjoy your new purchases.

D-GLOCK17 and Edge767 like this.

3. EdMan63

EdMan63 Atomic Dawg

They really are nice guns. A G19 was my first gun followed by a 26. Later fell in love with Sigs and then HK's and sold both of my Glocks. I always thought Glock's looked ok but certainly not beautiful. But they look like tools that get the job done. Well 5 years later I'm back with a couple of 19's and a 43. I probably won't get anymore but I still kind of want a 17. Its almost like any Glock collection should have one but I don't want to buy guns just to own them anymore. I've had enough of buying and selling. I'm trying to keep the collection practical from here on out. No safe queens. The 19 is my favorite for sure but the 43 has really opened my heart up to its offerings.

D-GLOCK17 likes this.
  4. domino1

domino1

Welcome and a good start!

D-GLOCK17, Edge767 and AddAGlock like this.
  5. Blades

Blades

Welcome to the Glock family.

Edge767 likes this.
  6. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Edge, you rascal, you've come from disbeliever to one who gives testament to Glock pistols in a convincing way. It's great to have the spirit of a true convert among us. Your story was well written, including the part about including your daughter in the journey.:thumbsup:

7. bac1023

bac1023

8. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

I cant believe i always get suckered into glock pictures. I know what theyll look like, yet everytime I havr to see them

9. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Like the OP, I spent a long time not wanting to like Glocks. It's hard to argue with the combination of features, weight, reliability, etc., though.

10. glide

glide Just sayin'

TL;DR

However I did get the gist of the OP and it's good you've made it to the Glock party. Enjoy and be safe.

11. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Welcome, congrats, great pictures, enjoyed the overview.

12. Tallykenj

Tallykenj

Nice. I just purchased a 17 and 43. I'm very happy and look forward for to learning more about Glocks.

13. dom42

dom42

To op. The life changing comment made my day. Thanks.

I was in the same boat. I'm a sig snob and love the crap out of them. Never had a problem with them at all.

When sig came out wth the striker fired p320 I picked it up because I love the idea of same trigger pull ( was trying to stay away from Glock, Glock hater over here lol) especially for conceal carry/edc. One day I decided to do some frame work / grip enhancement on it just for kicks. My brother seen my work and decided to he wanted me to go at it on his glocks.

A week after he got it back he had many more glocks for me to do. Sure why not!?! While working on all these glocks I would dry fire them just to check the grip mod. Somewhere along this road I fell in love and that was the end of it. I traded one of my p320s for a Glock and now have 5 g19s lol.

14. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Oh yea, you been bit by the Glock Bug all right. My story is about the same as yours, as an Army MP back I. The day, I thought nothing could compare to a.45 auto and still own my share of Colts. However, one day I fired a 1st gen G-17, and later was introduced to a G-19, and the rest is history.
    Took my 2 Gen G-17 and 19 to the range this week and both performed as expected as well as the newest at-43.
    Someday a G-21, and I'm done.

15. Trader_bob01

Trader_bob01 Support the NRA

Hi, My name is Bob, and I'm a Glockoholic. I am another guy brought up on the old Government .45s, and later the Berettas when in the military. At first, I too, was a Glock hater. Them ugly plastic pistols were not a real man, a fighting man's weapon. And then, I shot one. And that was it. I still love my old .45, have a couple of them still and I do carry one with me some times, but more often than not it is the Glock I take with me when I go somewhere.

D-GLOCK17 likes this.
  16. glockzilla10mm

glockzilla10mm SAFETY PIN CRITIC!! Lifetime Member

Well, sir Thank you for your service, and welcome to the family. As far as durability, my first 1911 Series 80 stainless was beautiful, but that's all. The slide rails galled and wore awkwardly. I sold it. With that money, I purchased my first Glock, a 21. That was well over 25 years ago. I've worn out 3 RSAs and 2 trigger return springs, and a few mag springs. Springs wear out. But that polymer frame just keeps on kicking. I'm thinking of chrome-ing her up in celebration of her service as my EDCW, along with my G30. Just can't give up those 230 grain flying tarantula bullets vs 9mm. God Bless the USMC

HAWKEYE50 and Edge767 like this.
  17. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Great story and it mirrors my experience in many ways, but I've been trying to narrow my Glock choices down to one gun that I can master as much as can be expected of my 65 years on the planet (including nearly two years as an MP dog handler, 70-71). As of now I own just two firearms and they both happen to be G43s set up exactly the same. I couldn't be happier, although I've been nipped by an LCP bug in recent days.

Enjoy and keep your powder dry.

Edge767 likes this.
  18. Eddie D

Eddie D

I with you on this. I have owned and shot Sigs for years. Never cared for or had a need for a Glock. My friends owned and shot them but I stood loyal to my Sigs. About 5 months ago I purchased a Gen4 19 and since have added a 26 and 36. Love all 3 and they are really nice shooters. Still have my Sigs but there is room for Glocks also.

Edge767 likes this.
  19. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

snowbird, don't be afraid of an LCP for really deep concealment; the damned things just work. They aren't fun to shoot, and I wouldn't plan on bazillion rounds thru' one, but they are really small and reliable.
    A buddy who works at a local gunshop gave me a razzing about 'Glock avoidance' for many years. Then I actually shot one, and, 'Holy chit!'! You can hit things with them!
    Moon

20. yfdcap

yfdcap

When they first came out I to thought they were ugly. I bought one anyways. Now I have over 20 of them. They are my families favorite when we go shooting. I teach new shooters with them. I carry one just about every day. Funny, I really do not find them ugly anymore.