GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Private side
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, the local news report a pair of arrests in a Thanksgiving Day murder; two 17-year olds, one of which was a classmate of my nephew.

A few changes in timing and it could have been me making the arrest and that got me thinking about times I arrest relatives (or assisted in the arrest) of relatives or acquaintances. It happened about 4 times. Anybody else had similar experiences?

·
Caffeinator
5,411 Posts
I never had to deal with my own family, but my wife (who was also a Probation/Parole officer like me in a previous life) had to deal with two different 1st cousins that she grew up with. One was a burglar/addict and the other was....well, a bit of everything from a wannabe Unabomber to a burglar, a methhead, and an armed robber.

Ironically, they were even assigned to her caseload on release (although she had them transferred to different officers). Neither one made it a month on supervision and she had to assist in arresting them both.

The good news was that it resulted in fewer undesirables showing up at our annual family Christmas celebration.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
I had a friend “arrest” me as a joke on a friend visiting from out of town.

·
Millenium #3936
6,299 Posts
I dont think its all that deep. If you feel compromised, get someone else to handle it. Generally speaking, you should always distance yourself from such actions in an effort to stave off any suggestion that you might be monkeying with the process.

There really arnt too many circumstances where you alone are the only person to who can handle it. If you are the ONLY person who can handle it and it simply must be handled right NOW,... then get to it. If it comes to that, I would remove myself from the process as soon as practicable.

I wouldnt get anywhere near "family" or "friends" who have actually shared a meal in my home. As far as simply being acquainted with someone or knowing someone that they know.. I dont really give two cents about that. If you aint family and you are not close enough to break bread in my home, you aint all that relevant to my personal universe.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Not on the road. In the jail, some people I went to high school with and a uncle who is a POS. I did his entire booking process, except for the strip search. Afterwords, I personally locked him into a cell.

·
Private side
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once, while doing a DUI/equipment checkpoint, we had a car drive through without stopping. We jumped in the car and got him stopped; turned out to be a cousin driving suspended and with about 8 warrants.
Told him nothing we could do about the warrants but we did call his mom to come get the vehicle instead of towing.
Another time, I stopped to chat with a deputy as he checked his map book for an address. Turns out he was riding solo and was going to serve a warrant (enticing a minor) so I volunteered to go with. He provided the name and a photo and I’ll be damned if it wasn’t a cousin, brother to the cousin in the first story.
I went to the house and told my cousin what was up and made sure he didn’t cause any problems.

Other than that, I’ve arrested a few HS classmates when I was new to LE (early 90s) but that was after they refused several opportunities to remove themselves from the situation.

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I arrested my grand daughter on a warrant and took her to jail. Everybody at the jail thought I was the meanest SOB for doing that. I really just did it so someone else didn`t arrest her who did not know the case was totally baloney. The prosecutor had the charges dismissed, but that would not happen until the warrant was executed and she went to court. Now I am known all over the county as the mean old man who put his grand daughter in jail.

·
Unfair Facist
24,368 Posts
Never had to deal with investigating or arresting a relative.

I was dispatched to an accident once and when I arrived found that my stepfather was one of the drivers involved. I simply called for another officer to handle it.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I had to arrest an old high school friend. He thanked me for being nice about not towing his car. His life went a different direction and I don't remember talking to him but a time or two after that. Policing family is never a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
18,574 Posts
Does arresting the same dirt bag multiple times count as an acquaintance?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Never had to arrest a family member, friend, or acquaintance. But I did run into one of my wife's cousins at our city jail while I was booking another prisoner.

I also ran into a nephew of my parents friends at our jail. I had met him before while we were kids.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had to arrest a drunk county detective I had worked with but the worst was finding a guy I went to the police academy with who blew his brains out on his best friend's driveway one night. I got a nephew in prison right now that I would've loved to put the cuffs on.

·
Unfair Facist
24,368 Posts
Does arresting the same dirt bag multiple times count as an acquaintance?
Sometimes it felt that way,

Especially once you are arresting kids for the same things you used to arrest their parents for.

·
Registered
14,475 Posts
Never a relative, but in a town this size I have arrested a lot of acquaintances. Mostly friends or classmates I knew from college, but occasionally people that lived in my neighborhood.

Often it’s not hard to recuse myself and let another officer make the arrest, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do......

·
packin heat
2,378 Posts
Every day I’m out, I hope to find my ex B-I-L and his extensive litany of active felony warrants in about 5 states.
An I’ll bet everyday your BIL thanks his lucky stars he doesn’t come face to face with you either.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
1) Arrested a guy I went to grammar school, Junior High and High School with. He and I were friends and played little league and did cub scouts together. This was back in 1977. He had a $10K warrant and I saw him on the street and hooked him up.

2) My old gym/workout partner had a rather large traffic warrant. I ran into him near his home one afternoon and wired him up too.

Both arrests were a bit awkward but I thought it was best I did it than someone else that's just making another arrest.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,434 Posts
No relatives, but I’ve arrested, investigated, etc several acquaintances and immediate family of coworkers. It’s so awesome when your boss comes in asking if you have the arrest paperwork filled out so he can bond his son out. Yay! I felt bad for the guys who grew up around here. When there are only two guys working a shift, sometimes you can’t have the other guy take the call.

When I used a public gym, I never got to work out without seeing someone I had arrested.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts