close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Army to Congress: Thanks, but no tanks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by muscogee, Oct 10, 2012.

1. muscogee

muscogee

2. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Un_Freakin_Believable!

:faint:

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'll help - I'll buy one. $20K delivered! I won't even cut it up for scrap. I'll keep it in the front yard.

4. Brucev

Brucev

That's the sort of thinking that keeps putting .40/dollar borrowed money in the pocket of multinational corporations whose loyalty is only and always to their profit line and not the American people. Simple answer. Cut them off. Problem. The congress wants to keep buying votes by spending money on the dod.

5. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

We don't even have room for more M1s in APS's.

I would keep the lines running and produce M1A1M export models.

For better or worse, our continued support of Israel and the recent "biggest arms deal in history" with the house of Saud has created an arms race in SWA.

There is an oil-rich third leg to the stool that would love to get their hands on some M1 tanks...

:whistling:

(and I would love to get some $1 gasoline!)

6. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

We will never have budget reform until we have campaign finance reform first.

7. Andy W

Andy W

One of the reasons we are selling all these weapons to Saudi Arabia is to counter-balance Iran, which is trying to assert itself as a regional power.

8. Paul53

Paul53 Wikid smaht!

Correct me if I'm wrong (as if I need to say that here) but I was under the impression that the M1 and it's variants have not been built new in some years. Beaten up M1's are torn apart in the South, Alabama I believe, then sent to the storage mentioned. The hulls are refurbished and brought up to the newest standards as needed by the Army. The show I watched said all newly rebuilt tanks are then tested in the desert here at Fort Bliss and White Sands Missile Range before going to their final unit. Hence the sign to the left. They are impressive doing 40+ MPH across the desert. They always get the right of way.

"Ah, commander to driver, what was that noise?"
    "Sir, I believe that was a Toyota."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  9. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

If Mitt Romney wins and keeps his promise to arm al Qaeda with heavy weapons, don't you think that will provide even more reason to arm the pants wearing people of the region?

10. Averageman

Averageman

The issue is a bit more complex than that article would lead you to believe.
    There is a Tank plant in Lima Ohio and it is being shut down. The Tank Plant may not ever be able to be reopened if it closes as the EPA, OSHA and a room full of other Alphabet agencies will become involved if the close and attempt to reopen.
    There is a rebuild sight in Anniston Alabama that running at full speed can refurbish probobly rebuild a platoon of M1 tanks a week in one older variant.
    Once a Tank leaves Lima or Anniston it is delivered to another location (I wont mention where, but it isn't White Sands, unless it is a specific and unique test being done.) where it is taken through its paces and given a Q/A, Q/C process that takes it down to it's absolute nuts and bolts before a Soldier ever sees it. It is then delivered to the customer and again Q/A Q/Ced and accpeted by it's gaining unit.
    Lima is in my opinion a National Asset that needs to stay open in order to maintain its capabilites and a trained work force, if not for other M1 tanks, but fighting vehicles.
    The funny thing about a Tank that weighs in excess of 70 tons is that it wears out, sometimes even faster; just sitting still. They need constant maintanance just to remain servicable. A National site to store and maintain these Tanks would be a big plus.
    Now are we going to be fighting a Tank War anytime soon? I don't have a way to see in to the future, but if my Kid was going to be manning an M1 Tank I would want the newest and best.
    The newest and the best are light years ahead of the M1 Tanks issued in the early 80's to Units in Germany. We need the best to serve our Soldiers.

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Being in manufacturing I can tell you, if you lose skilled workers you don't replace them. Over a period of years you might recreate that capability, but once you break the chain of knowledge and skill it is gone. There is a culture to manufacturing complex products or simple products in mass quantities. So many interdependent factors, supplier chains, design, manufacturing and QA knowledge. Plus as someone said the infrastructure. You don't build a plant like that overnight. One day we are going to wake up and be unable to build a car or ariplane or tank without the good will of the Chinese because they will have undercut too many of our suppliers of basic products.

12. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

Agreed. I was in aircraft manufacturing for 20 years. There is an incredible amount of tribal knowledge that is lost when a line is shut down.

13. HexHead

HexHead

Historically, the Generals are always preparing to fight the last war again. In this case, it would be a guerilla war against insurgents with small teams. Russia is getting strong again, the Fulva Gap may regain importance. Then there's China.

14. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

Our defense spending is greater than the next 12 countries combined.

15. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

That is a good argument for building things we may not need right now. The decision to build the Seawolf submarine, while waiting for the Virginia class to be built, to keep from losing skilled submarine builders, who would have been hard to replace, did make sense, too.

16. raven11

raven11

Which relies on other countries honestly reporting their numbers
    China for example has nuclear weapons. re-equipped with new assault rifles for their million man army. expanded their navy with cruisers ,submarines, carriers. Somehow only spends 2.1% of GDP

When we spend the most but don't want to replace our assault rifles ,pistols , and now refurbished tanks due to cost

17. Averageman

Averageman

Fulva or Fulda Gap?
    I will be Fighting at the Vulva Gap later tonight hopefully.
    Anyway, we own this stuff and it is all maintainable, sustainable and rebuildable and a viable platform for future development.
    Letting it go to waste would be ashame and most all of it could not be reused for much of anything else because of the D.U. level of the metals.
    We claimed for years that we held an unobtainable weapons advantage against our enemies, Now we have Chinese Aircraftcarriers,....
    I think there is a very intelligent middle ground that we could find here, but that article shows no part of it.

18. Harper

Harper

We really need to get over this idea that every dollar spent on the military is sacred. A large percentage seem to think it's un-american to mention spending cuts.

19. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Not even Rand Paul has been able to produce a reaction from the pro military complex crowd, but gets completely ignored instead. What makes you think you will not be ignored here? :tongueout:

:wavey:

Get ready for the recently proposed Syrian Spring. :faint:

20. Harper

Harper

Oh, I know.