Glock Talk banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
1,972 Posts
In Dahlonega,Georgia(I only lived there a year ca.1976-77) my next door neighbor was a Ranger. I don't know squat about the military;but he was an instructor of some sort at the training facility there. I remember he talked about HALO(sp?) jumping. High altitude parachuting;and recon.

He showed me how to turn over river rocks and catch-grab salamanders. Great for bait;I think he has probably eaten a few sometimes when he had to. He was very much at home in those hills of Georgia. Said he got snakebit in the head one time while doing some of that "camping". When he was really stressed/tired he got a Harry Potter type dark line on his face.

Interesting dude. He drank two jugs of moonshine I got as a gift from a girl I worked with(her daddy made it). I didn't care about the whisky,I was glad he enjoyed it; but he did chase my wife around the house a few times. I had no idea she could move that fast!

May God Bless all who honorably serve.

· Registered
569 Posts
By way of background, combat arms officer since 1978... If you have completed the Ranger Course and qualified to wear the black and yellow Ranger Tab on your uniform, they give you the Ranger special skill indicator on your MOS, and you are a Ranger ever after. Some Rangers serve in one of the three specialized Ranger regiment (75th) battalions, but the vast majority of Ranger graduates serve in the line battalions with the regular troops, a a "leavening" of Ranger skills and leadership throughout the ranks. Pretty much, if you are commissioned as a regular or active reserve Infantry officer, your prep isn't really complete until you've completed Airborne and the Ranger schools.

The feller is question, Jake Bequette, is a former Arkansas Razorback football player here in Arkansas, and played three years in the NFL, which pretty much elevates one to demigod status around here. Once the NFL thing played out, he joined the Army and went through OCS, commissioned as Infantry, got his Airborne and Ranger merit badges, then served in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division. I haven't checked, but he probably got his Air Assault wings with the 101st as well. So, there's no doubt about his claim to being a veteran, and a Ranger, he's paid his dues in both those areas.

Where I have a problem with it is his campaign's use of his military experience as his main qualification for holding public office. We already have another dude around here - our junior senator, Tom Cotton - who played exactly the same hand of cards a couple of years back, and hasn't done much of anything except use his position to schmooze up to the Trump folks to feather his nest and position himself for more politics. We don't need another one of those Bozoes.

Bequette's opponent, John Boozman, out senior senator, has no business calling Bequette out on his service... Boozman's dad was a career Air Force sergeant, but Boozman himself is not a veteran, he went to med school and became an opthalmologist.

But this is just politics in Arkansas... muddy, and full of Hogs, Razorbacks, that is...

· Registered
10 Posts
Why would I care what you wear ?
Hello, I'm your money dude. I'm also your current president as you can clearly see on my lapel by the badges I've collected. I will now give you advice on what to put your dollars into cuz, I swear, I'm a ****ing genius at dollars and dummies. Look at this ranger tab and presidential award I have. That's all you need to know, right?
To be a Ranger, you must wear the scroll and have intimate detail pertaining to that. Ranger qualified just have to know how to do some stuff and be able to not eat for awhile while doing said stuff.

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Yes. There is no definitive answer to that question, so it is often hotly debated in the Army.
Wait. So if some admin/computer tech guy is in a Ranger Bn and never went to the school, there is even somewhat of a debate that they are a Ranger?

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello, I'm your money dude. I'm also your current president as you can clearly see on my lapel by the badges I've collected. I will now give you advice on what to put your dollars into cuz, I swear, I'm a ****ing genius at dollars and dummies. Look at this ranger tab and presidential award I have. That's all you need to know, right?
To be a Ranger, you must wear the scroll and have intimate detail pertaining to that. Ranger qualified just have to know how to do some stuff and be able to not eat for awhile while doing said stuff.
So you joined this group today just to start **** ? You have no idea what else I saw that confirms his story but I don't have to explain anything to you . I'll just put your ignorant ass on Ignore where trolls belong .

· Registered
531 Posts
Depends on if you ask someone who has just the Tab or someone who has actually worn the Scroll. As a , now retired, member of the 75th Ranger Regiment we always said, “ The Tab is just a school, the Scroll is a way of life!” Technically if you have graduated Ranger School and are award the Coveted Black and Gold Ranger Tab, you are considered Ranger qualified. If you are a member of one of the Ranger Battalions, therefore a member of the Ranger Regiment, then you are a Ranger, whether you have a Ranger Tab or not. All NCOs and Officers in the Ranger Regiment are Ranger Qualified and therefore wear the Ranger Tab, however, there are a whole slew of E1s through E4s that have not yet been to Ranger School and yet they are more of a Ranger than someone who just has the Tab. As a member of the Regiment, you live the life of a Ranger every day and night. There are a lot of Ranger qualified people who will wear the Ranger Tab, but will never live the life as a Ranger.
One of my Ranger Buddies, during Darby Phase was a Marine Recon. When he graduated he was Ranger qualified, but still a Marine Recon.
An E4 on the FIST assigned to our company (Dco 2/69 AR) for Desert Shield and Storm had a right sleeve Ranger scroll from Panama, but wasn't tabbed.

He also had an aversion to bathing and we had to take him to the med folks because he thought he had appendicitis. The PA examined him and said there was nothing wrong except he needed a bath and his filth contributed to his extreme constipation. After that he had to report to 1st SGT every morning for a "sniff test" to make sure he washed his arse in the bucket". 😆

Reactions: Pontoof
41 - 54 of 54 Posts