Glock Talk banner

Army Ranger Question

2654 Views 53 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  BRabbit
Is a Ranger someone in a Ranger Bn, or someone who completed Ranger school or either?

As in, "I am/was an Army Ranger"
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· NRA Life Member
75,785 Posts
That would be like me going to Airborne School and claiming I was in the 82nd Airborne... Alot of soldiers go to Ranger School, but that does not make them a ranger.
No, it would be like going to jump school and claiming to be a paratrooper. Claiming to have been in a specific unit is an entirely different thing. But when you graduate from jump school the Army puts a "P" on your MOS, just like they add the Ranger "V" for graduating from Ranger school. They don't officially add anything for being in the 82d. So this argument is exactly the same as arguing about whether a guy who graduated from jump school and went to a leg unit is a paratrooper, or whether only a guy who has served in an airborne unit is a paratrooper.

· Registered
216 Posts
No, it would be like going to jump school and claiming to be a paratrooper. Claiming to have been in a specific unit is an entirely different thing. But when you graduate from jump school the Army puts a "P" on your MOS, just like they add the Ranger "V" for graduating from Ranger school. They don't officially add anything for being in the 82d. So this argument is exactly the same as arguing about whether a guy who graduated from jump school and went to a leg unit is a paratrooper, or whether only a guy who has served in an airborne unit is a paratrooper.
5 jump chump right here. I went to Airborne School after basic and then straight to a Stryker brigade that didn't have any Strykers... good times

· Registered
517 Posts
List of SQIs
A - Technical Intelligence
C - NBC
D - Civil Affairs
E - Military Mountaineering Instructor
F - Flying Status
G - Ranger
H - Instructor
I - Installer (Electronic)
K - Logistics NCO
L - Linguist
M - First Sergeant
N - Joint Planner
O - No Special Qualifications
P - Parachutist
Q - Equal Opportunity Advisor
R - Research, Development, Test, And Evaluation
V - Ranger Parachutist
X - Drill Sergeant
Z - Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Program
2 - Training Development
4 - Non-Career Recruiter
7 - Special Operations Aviation

This is a list of the Army's Special Qualification Identifiers (SQIs), these identifiers are assigned to you after the completion of a school, usually. Before I went to Ranger School my MOS was 11B1P, meaning I had graduated Airborne school, after completion of Ranger School my MOS 11B1V, meaning I had completed both Airborne and Ranger School, Airborne Ranger. Before I went to Ranger School I was still a Ranger, because I was a member of the 2nd Ranger Battalion. Technically, if you have been graduated Ranger School the Army identifies you as a Ranger, but to those of us who spent time in the Ranger Regiment, we see you as simply Ranger qualified. Not a ding on you, but I have met many people who wore the Ranger Tab and yet wouldn't have a chance making it in a Ranger Battalion. We get a lot of Ranger qualified NCOs and officers who make it through RASP, get to a Battalion and within a few months are back out in the regular Army again, because they couldn't hang with the Ranger life style. Wearing the Scroll is a whole lot different than earning the Tab, hence the saying, "the Tab is just a school, the Scroll is a way of life"!
RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

· Registered
517 Posts
I have two sons who went to Airborne School. My oldest went straight to an Infantry unit after Airborne School and my youngest went into the Special Forces pipeline. My oldest son is Airborne Qualified and my youngest is living the life as a Paratrooper (Special Forces Medic). Between the two of them they have multiple combat deployments, they both have been awarded the Purple Heart, (I might add, they are not allowed to get any more of those lol), but my oldest son would never claim to be a Paratrooper, although he's been through Airborne School, because he's never been assigned to an Airborne unit. He does have a P identifier on his MOS, although he's never been assigned to an Airborne unit. When my oldest son ETSed from the Army, his MOS was 11B2P, my youngest son's MOS is 18D4P, he has two years left to retire, if he retires at 20.

· Registered
517 Posts
Next I’d like for someone to go tell a Vietnam LRRP that they weren’t really a Ranger.
The LRRP units in Vietnam were all reclassified Ranger units in 1969. Anyone assigned to a LRRP unit in Vietnam can automatically claim to be a Ranger and would not be wrong. There are many LRRP soldiers in the Ranger Hall of Fame. The 75th Ranger Regiment claims both Ranger units and LRRP units, in Vietnam, as part of their heritage.

· Banned
27,646 Posts
The LRRP units in Vietnam were all reclassified Ranger units in 1969. Anyone assigned to a LRRP unit in Vietnam can automatically claim to be a Ranger and would not be wrong. There are many LRRP soldiers in the Ranger Hall of Fame. The 75th Ranger Regiment claims both Ranger units and LRRP units, in Vietnam, as part of their heritage.
But, but, but they didn’t go to Ranger school! They didn’t go to RASP! Prob half didn’t even go to recondo school.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
To clarify, some guy, Jake something, is running for office in Arkansas. He earned his tab and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan with the 101st as an Infantry Officer. The guy he is running against is claiming Jake isn't really a Ranger. That guy also never served. From my limited knowledge, anyone who completes Ranger school is to be admired.
I've always admired anyone who completed BT and served in all branches. Thanks to all.

· Registered
517 Posts
I've always admired anyone who completed BT and served in all branches. Thanks to all.
One of the things that has amazed me, since getting out, is how many people served honorable, doing their job in the Military, regardless of branch or duty position, and then when they get out, claim to have done something "more highspeed"! If you served, be proud of it, whatever it is that you did.

· Registered
167 Posts
I worked for a US Army agency when I was in university, and a while after graduation. We had many Majors and LTCs, a few colonels, and 1 captain. I remember 1 Sargent.

The majority had the ranger tab on their uniforms. So, one day I asked Major Little what the Ranger thing means. He answered a lot of outdoor camping.

I liked Major Little (actually all of them). He was passed over for promotion, kicked out of the army, then a month later showed up in a suit working for a contractor. He didn't mind because he was earning more money as a contractor.

So keep up all that camping outdoors.

· Registered
2,551 Posts
To clarify, some guy, Jake something, is running for office in Arkansas. He earned his tab and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan with the 101st as an Infantry Officer. The guy he is running against is claiming Jake isn't really a Ranger. That guy also never served. From my limited knowledge, anyone who completes Ranger school is to be admired.
I wouldn't vote or not vote for somebody based on whether or not they completed Ranger school.

I probably would not vote at all for somebody who never served a day in their life and was talking smack about somebody who did.

During my first enlistment almost every officer I encountered was Ranger qualified. I always assumed it was a requirement

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Let me rephrase the question to this specific scenario. A guy, running for office, who completed Ranger school and was an Infantry officer with the 101st during a combat deployment. His campaign says he was an Army Ranger. How much, if at all, are you going to bust his balls?
Not at all. I mean, it sounds like he's been pretty aboveboard about his service. He's not claiming he was assigned to the Ranger regiment.

But like I said in my other post that's going to play any part in whether or not I vote for him, I want to know where he stands on the issues

· Registered
1,554 Posts
This is all about trying to bust on a current politician who joined the Army, got commissioned as an Infantry Officer (no easy feat), graduated from Jump School, and completed Ranger Training (definitely no easy feat) and was awarded the Ranger Tab. He then served in combat as an Infantry Officer with the 101st. He makes the comment in some of his campaign literature that he was a "Ranger." Having served with quite a few Army Officers throughout my 30 years of active duty and 17 years training Army personnel, I can tell you that the vast majority I dealt with who wore the Ranger Tab (not the Scroll) referred to each other as Ranger.

NO, I am not a Ranger. Very very few AF personnel are selected to attend.

However, I would much rather have an elected representative who had served as a combat arms officer in combat represent me than to have some Pogue whose idea of actual combat is playing Call of Duty. He has the Tab and is not claiming to have served in a Ranger Batt or be SF or anything else. Why not bust on another politician who actually makes blatantly false claims about Viet Nam service?

· Registered
517 Posts
From January 1, 1993 to June 30, 1995 I was assigned to the 7th Ranger Training Battalion at Ft Bliss, TX as an Instructor at Desert Phase Ranger School. Ranger students are always addressed as Ranger. Such as:
Ranger, are you lost?
Ranger, where's the rest of your squad?
And the most common question asked in Ranger School, regardless of phase, Are you sleeping Ranger? Hahaha
When they pin the Ranger Tab on the Ranger student, they will say, congratulations Ranger, you made it, you are now part of the Brotherhood of Rangers!

So according to the Army, they are Rangers, just don't ask us 'Batt Boys'!

As a side note, the infamous Slick Willey Clinton decided the Army Rangers don't need desert training and decided to shut down Desert Phase. 30 days before my retirement date the final parachute jump of the 7th Ranger Training Battalion was planned. Technically and legally I was not supposed to make that jump, because you're basically not allowed to do anything inside of a 90 day window from your retirement, because you've already had your retirement physical and getting hurt could put a hold on the whole retirement and screw a lot of things up, however, there was no way I was passing up on the chance that my last jump would also be the 7th RTB last jump as well. Not only did I jump, but I was also a Jumpmaster on one of the planes. And against the better judgement of my CSM, I also walked a patrol that night, just to say I did it. Lol One if my favorite memories.
RLTW

21 - 40 of 54 Posts