Glock Talk banner

Army Ranger Question

2638 Views 53 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  BRabbit
Is a Ranger someone in a Ranger Bn, or someone who completed Ranger school or either?

As in, "I am/was an Army Ranger"
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· NRA Life Member
75,663 Posts
Is a Ranger someone in a Ranger Bn, or someone who completed Ranger school or either?

Yes. There is no definitive answer to that question, so it is often hotly debated in the Army.

· Registered
516 Posts
Depends on if you ask someone who has just the Tab or someone who has actually worn the Scroll. As a , now retired, member of the 75th Ranger Regiment we always said, “ The Tab is just a school, the Scroll is a way of life!” Technically if you have graduated Ranger School and are award the Coveted Black and Gold Ranger Tab, you are considered Ranger qualified. If you are a member of one of the Ranger Battalions, therefore a member of the Ranger Regiment, then you are a Ranger, whether you have a Ranger Tab or not. All NCOs and Officers in the Ranger Regiment are Ranger Qualified and therefore wear the Ranger Tab, however, there are a whole slew of E1s through E4s that have not yet been to Ranger School and yet they are more of a Ranger than someone who just has the Tab. As a member of the Regiment, you live the life of a Ranger every day and night. There are a lot of Ranger qualified people who will wear the Ranger Tab, but will never live the life as a Ranger.
One of my Ranger Buddies, during Darby Phase was a Marine Recon. When he graduated he was Ranger qualified, but still a Marine Recon.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To clarify, some guy, Jake something, is running for office in Arkansas. He earned his tab and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan with the 101st as an Infantry Officer. The guy he is running against is claiming Jake isn't really a Ranger. That guy also never served. From my limited knowledge, anyone who completes Ranger school is to be admired.

· Registered
516 Posts
Anyone who has graduated Ranger School and was awarded the Ranger Tab can claim to be a Ranger, and not be wrong. Ranger School was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, and if a person goes through it and graduates, then I have no problem with him saying he is an Army Ranger. As a member of the 101st Airborne Division, he lived the life as an Air Assault soldier. A very honorable thing to be, I might add. There is a lot of pride in being a member of the 101st. I would call him a Ranger qualified person of the 101st Airborne Division, but if he says he's an Army Ranger, I wouldn't call him a lier. Maybe in my younger days, but I'm in my 60s now and am a little better disciplined. Hahahaha

· Registered
1,731 Posts
...He earned his tab and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan with the 101st as an Infantry Officer.... The guy he is running against is claiming Jake isn't really a Ranger. That guy also never served......
So then as far as the other guy is concerned yea, he's straight up a Ranger. Certainly when it comes to libel claims against saying otherwise.

· Registered
500 Posts

Depends on your perspective… typically the thought is that ranger school makes you “ranger qualified”, but you aren’t a “ranger” (in an active sense) unless you are at a ranger regiment and were selected through rasp. There are a lot of fat nasty **** bags with ranger tabs because they went to “ranger school”. Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of ranger school, but it’s different.

· Banned
27,646 Posts
To clarify, some guy, Jake something, is running for office in Arkansas. He earned his tab and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan with the 101st as an Infantry Officer. The guy he is running against is claiming Jake isn't really a Ranger. That guy also never served. From my limited knowledge, anyone who completes Ranger school is to be admired.
If he was tabbed then he can call himself a Ranger. He was Ranger qualified even though not in Ranger Batt

· NRA Life Member
75,663 Posts
Depends on your perspective… typically the thought is that ranger school makes you “ranger qualified”, but you aren’t a “ranger” (in an active sense) unless you are at a ranger regiment and were selected through rasp. There are a lot of fat nasty **** bags with ranger tabs because they went to “ranger school”. Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of ranger school, but it’s different.
That's an opinion universally shared by people who have been in the Ranger regiment. I agree with you in principle, but the Army officially puts an ASI for Ranger on your MOS when you graduate from Ranger School - they don't put crap on there when you are assigned to a Ranger battalion.

· Banned
27,646 Posts
I get the OP question as it’s pertinent to something else.

as anyone knows there’s all kinds in every unit just like life. Every unit has over achievers, idiots, **** bags and in between. Some units have more of some than others.

there are plenty of super cool people out there who weren’t in Spec Ops of any type and they do top notch secret ****. Resume’s are fine and dandy, but they don’t often actually say what someone can or can’t do.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me rephrase the question to this specific scenario. A guy, running for office, who completed Ranger school and was an Infantry officer with the 101st during a combat deployment. His campaign says he was an Army Ranger. How much, if at all, are you going to bust his balls?

· Banned
27,646 Posts
Let me rephrase the question to this specific scenario. A guy, running for office, who completed Ranger school and was an Infantry officer with the 101st during a combat deployment. His campaign says he was an Army Ranger. How much, if at all, are you going to bust his balls?
Well. If someone was in Ranger batt, maybe they could.

but honestly if this is what the focus of a political race, then the opposition doesnt Have ****

· Registered
216 Posts
I started off as Infantry. I went to Airborne School and then ended up in a Stryker unit. My unit sent several guys to Ranger School. Upon completion they came right back to us. It gave them more knowledge and promotion points. It did not make them "Rangers". You have to actually get accepted into a Ranger Battalion to be a ranger and serve in a Ranger unit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts